You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 May 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Expat
Active

Re: My bet is

Real Distwalker wrote:

You are correct that Iowa is not America but what I don't think you understand is that Iowa is my "country".  I am more patriotic about Iowa than I am about America.  That's why I talk about Iowa so much.  It is my state, my "country", my land, my home.

You are fully entitles to feel? patriotism for you home State, Just as I might fondly mention Devon, and have pleasant memories of it's rolling countryside, and narrow country lanes with high hedgerows.

Had I been younger when it was possible to take up arms I would have had no issue with defending my homeland against tyranny. But I sure as hell am not going to call myself Patriotic, and get all weak at the knees when the flag is waved. Different folks different strokes.

As such try to get over your constant assumption that every time America or now maybe Iowa is mentioned it is a personal attack.  Many times playful tongue in cheek I wont deny. But on serious notes it will be just honest observations, that can be discounted maybe, as you could say, from outside we cannot understand the full dynamics. But We, that's me and millions of others do see constant news feeds, this makes us almost as close as if we were watching the BBC about Britain.

Yes Iowa in not America, you have explained that, we get that, but the World sees America, not Iowa.

#22 May 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The difference between Iowa and the other states, I think, is closer to, say, Netherlands in the EU than to Devon in England.   We have separate laws, a separate government, a separate IANG military, separate economic policies and separate taxation.  In fact, the US was originally established as a union of separate countries. 

Yes, I know that the world sees America but you understand that my home is as physically distant from New York City as is London from Rome.  My home is as far from Los Angeles as London is from Istanbul.

Speaking of Los Angels, when I travel there it feels about as foreign to my sensibilities as does London. 

I can't even take in the scope of all of America, its varied terrain, cultures, people, climates...  I get the American ideal but I am, first and foremost, an Iowan.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 28, 2020 1:29 pm)

#23 May 28, 2020 12:47 pm

Slice
Active

But RD, Expat knows that, but do the rest of the world knows dat? Just today ah was speaking to someone from Canada, yes Canada, and he ent care about what is going on in Maryland, with the COVID19 situation, he hear the numbers and he keep saying America.

#24 May 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Expat
Active

I see you point.

At the risk of being controversial, and you know I would never want to do that..:)

It really is time for unification, it is like a failed EU experiment.

Talking from ignorance, it seems to me the federal laws that can be ignored at a local level, or need a federally trained local law officer to enact them when a local law officer could refuse, varying laws across the various States that make it confusing to say the least. (to an outsider)

I appreciate the vast differences between Montana and the Bronx, but there are vast differences between small villages in parts of England and London.

Through attempts at devolution Wales and Scotland have a degree of autonomy on certain things, but as a simplistic example, if you are doing 95 on a Welsh motorway or an English motorway you are going to lose your license.

#25 May 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Take marijuana, for example.  It's use is against federal law but, in several states, it is legal.  That means that the local police have no interest if you are smoking a joint.   You could still be arrested under federal law, but the local police don't make arrests for violations of federal law.

As for the federal police (the FBI, the US Marshals, the DEA, etc), they don't have the manpower or inclination to go around arresting people for smoking a jay.  So they don't.

I would be more inclined to eliminate federal police laws than to try to make them uniform across the continent.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 28, 2020 1:08 pm)

#26 May 30, 2020 12:19 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Take marijuana, for example.  It's use is against federal law but, in several states, it is legal.  That means that the local police have no interest if you are smoking a joint.   You could still be arrested under federal law, but the local police don't make arrests for violations of federal law.

As for the federal police (the FBI, the US Marshals, the DEA, etc), they don't have the manpower or inclination to go around arresting people for smoking a jay.  So they don't.

I would be more inclined to eliminate federal police laws than to try to make them uniform across the continent.

Basically you just said what I did, but with a different conclusion. You prefer keeping the differences between States, and as someone who doesn't have to abide by any of it, and used, until the point the Union has started to fragment the Nation wide equivalences with laws would expect to do and be treated exactly the same in England Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland.

But without trying to put words in your mouth, from previous exchanges I would surmise no central government and it's laws would be your ideal. Which would ultimately make it the Non United States.

Last edited by Expat (May 30, 2020 12:22 am)

#27 May 30, 2020 8:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The federal government should handle diplomacy, defense, commerce issues, that sort of thing.   The states should handle the rules of living.  There is no damned way the laws in Alaska and Maryland can be the same and it not be stupid much of the time.  You cannot write a law that works well for them both on most issues.

#28 May 30, 2020 2:47 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The federal government should handle diplomacy, defense, commerce issues, that sort of thing.   The states should handle the rules of living.  There is no damned way the laws in Alaska and Maryland can be the same and it not be stupid much of the time.  You cannot write a law that works well for them both on most issues.

I am not deliberately being dense, maybe it just comes naturally to me.

But with a quick spin of the brain I though of like 3 or 4 laws that why wouldn't it be the same anywhere in the World, never mind in a State within an association of States.

Speeding, Wife beating, Murder, Rape, Incest, Bigamy, Fraud, Tax evasion, you name it, why couldn't they have the same rulings, and penalties? Why would being over the 49th parallel be any different other than the cold to being in Florida.

#29 May 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The constitution gives police powers - meaning criminal law - to the states.  Most states the laws are basically similar.  In no state is murder or rape legal.

The bottom line is this: We have a legislature and a governor in Iowa.  They set things like the speed limit, how land ownership is handled, the way rights-of-way are formed, marriage and divorce laws and so forth.  Why would I wan't, say, Californians to have a say in they way we do things here?  The best government is government closest to the the people. Again, we have a legislature, a governor and a court system in Iowa.  There is no reason why the rules under which we live should be imposed on us by a national government a thousand miles away and a population who outnumbers 100 to 1.  We are free people and we define our own legal system.  As it should be.

#30 May 30, 2020 6:45 pm

houston
Active

I get the self governing within a government thing but where does it start and where does it end?
Native Reserves for example are self governed with thier own rules, laws and police. Yet highly dependent on the coins of the Federal Government that subsidizes that self rule.

Board footer