You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 01, 2020 10:31 am

Expat
Active

Grenada has had far worse illnesses

The Asiatic Cholera which killed 4000 souls, and everyone on River Road. Averaging 16 deaths a day.

#2 Jun 01, 2020 12:18 pm

gripe
Active

Re: Grenada has had far worse illnesses

Expat, thanks for the information. However, next time give me a source, some authority, for your information. The following quote is on point (was that your source or was your post based on personal knowledge?):

"June, 31 years earlier, close to 4,000 persons of the colony died from an epidemic of Asiatic cholera, which made its first appearance at the barracks of Fort George, the site of then Colony Hospital/old General Hospital, on the night of June 10. The disease moved from Richmond Hill, to some cottages behind, and then on Calivigny Estate, causing the manager and overseers to abandon the labourers, who shut themselves up in their huts. The sanitary authorities removed those who were still alive, and burned everything else. Over 6 weeks, the disease spread over the whole island, and into Carriacou and Petite Martinique, averaging 16 deaths per day. All the inhabitants along the banks of the River St John, near to the town of St George’s died, but not a single case occurred in the gaol, in the heart of the town, a result attributable to the enforced cleanliness of the institution and its inmates. By the end of September it was all over."

Source: https://www.nowgrenada.com/2020/06/june-in-history-3/

#3 Jun 01, 2020 1:17 pm

Slice
Active

Keep in mind COVID is far from over.  As the tourist start coming back, there will be much more cases. In America after this weekend ah expect numbers out of this world.

#4 Jun 01, 2020 1:45 pm

Expat
Active

gripe wrote:

Expat, thanks for the information. However, next time give me a source, some authority, for your information. The following quote is on point (was that your source or was your post based on personal knowledge?):

"June, 31 years earlier, close to 4,000 persons of the colony died from an epidemic of Asiatic cholera, which made its first appearance at the barracks of Fort George, the site of then Colony Hospital/old General Hospital, on the night of June 10. The disease moved from Richmond Hill, to some cottages behind, and then on Calivigny Estate, causing the manager and overseers to abandon the labourers, who shut themselves up in their huts. The sanitary authorities removed those who were still alive, and burned everything else. Over 6 weeks, the disease spread over the whole island, and into Carriacou and Petite Martinique, averaging 16 deaths per day. All the inhabitants along the banks of the River St John, near to the town of St George’s died, but not a single case occurred in the gaol, in the heart of the town, a result attributable to the enforced cleanliness of the institution and its inmates. By the end of September it was all over."

Unlike some of our posters..... SLICE..... you have figured out how to google... So didn't need any guidance from me.... But yes that actually was the source.

#5 Jun 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Keep in mind COVID is far from over.  As the tourist start coming back, there will be much more cases. In America after this weekend ah expect numbers out of this world.

You still aint getting it, Tourists can haul dey arse. Unless they conform to tests and protocols.

So what we going to stay in Curfew for ever because you people in foreign think your fun is more important than our lives.   G. F. Y. is my simple response.

You can get back in as a National, at your own expense, and by paying your confinement costs. So how pissed will you be when Jo tourist wanders up and gives all the hotel staff the virus after you accepted quarantine.

#6 Jun 01, 2020 1:57 pm

gripe
Active

Expat, that was an interesting response.

Also interestingly, two of my friends -- a Trinidadian and a Guyanese -- texted me the same story. They were intrigued that the prisoners survived in such close proximity to where the deaths occurred. Part of my response to my friends directed them to your post. Further, I told them that I don't understand the explanation that the prison was sanitized. That leaves the head scratching suggestion, from the article, that among ALL those who died, none had sanitized their homes, etc.  There has to be some other explanation(s) for the difference.

#7 Jun 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Expat
Active

Now, the guards may well have been out in public like they would be today, so there could have been opportunities for spread by them returning to the prison on a daily basis. Just as old folks have died because carers have brought CV19 into the old peoples homes. But Cholera is a bacteria not a virus.

But if you think of a prison cell, against a small dwelling of the period, and it would have been much easier to swab and disinfect cells and walkways than cramped living quarters. Plus they were an isolated group with the exception of those warders. So no, I don't think the explanation is that far fetched.

Also remember most likely pit toilets never mind septic tanks and soakaways., and limited to no plumbing. Stand pipes etc. It was a different world back then.

>>The cholera bacterium is usually found in water or food sources that have been contaminated by feces (poop) from a person infected with cholera. Cholera is most likely to be found and spread in places with inadequate water treatment, poor sanitation, and inadequate hygiene.<<

Last edited by Expat (Jun 01, 2020 2:27 pm)

#8 Jun 01, 2020 3:02 pm

gripe
Active

Expat, if the explanation holds, being a prisoner paid dividends in that sense. Life sometimes has its odd moments.

#9 Jun 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
gripe wrote:

Unlike some of our posters..... SLICE..... you have figured out how to google... So didn't need any guidance from me.... But yes that actually was the source.

Mr Expat, Google is me best friend.  Every time ah get in ah argument in Grenada, ah google, yea but ah lazy. Here is the point ah trying to make, it is ah shame that allyu in Grenada, defending Grenada so damn hard.  Allyu ent quarrelling about the tourist, but rather about us.

#10 Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
Expat wrote:
gripe wrote:

Mr Expat, Google is me best friend.  Every time ah get in ah argument in Grenada, ah google, yea but ah lazy. Here is the point ah trying to make, it is ah shame that allyu in Grenada, defending Grenada so damn hard.  Allyu ent quarrelling about the tourist, but rather about us.

Apart from a few boaties that ARE having to observe the same protocols, except being boaties they can bob around in the harbour maintaining their distancing on the water.

Just as you feel it would be unfair that you can't come on a whim, so would it be unfair to let these people bob around mid Caribbean waiting on a hurricane to wipe them out.

Tourist are a different matter, lets face it cruise ships are not going anywhere anytime soon, and if Grenada has half a brain they will tell em to quote you fook off, as they shafted us with the payments for the crews that should have been paid for by them, and they dumped a Bajan in the full knowledge he had symptoms all the while saying everyone tested clear.

And who the hell is going to come on a 10 day break to a hotel and spend 14 days in quarantine.

You seem to be worrying more about tourists than we.

Board footer