You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 02, 2020 3:41 pm

houston
Active

Hog slaughter

RD, I understand the basic concept of business profit and that supply and demand dictates, but is there not a more humane way of euthanising these creatures?
Graphic and long winded article that could make one think of becoming a vegan.

https://theintercept.com/2020/05/29/pig … ronavirus/

#2 Jun 02, 2020 3:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Hog slaughter

You mean euthanizing these kind of pigs?

Trumpig.jpg

#3 Jun 02, 2020 4:11 pm

houston
Active

That little piggie went to market..

https://youtu.be/QWLBtMz5OuY

#4 Jun 02, 2020 4:11 pm

Slice
Active

Houston, death is death. Leh me ask you something, you or your family never slaughter ah pig in Grenada? (ah kinda assuming you Grenadian)

When ah was growing up, cows death came very humanly.  At one time, you had to wait until the person came to kill the cow. I think it was ah especial gun, that he had.  One shot and the cow is dead. But pigs you do it you self.

One day close to Xmas, we slaughtered ah pig. We thought the pig was dead.  We untied the pig and was waiting on the Hot water to be ready, when we were ready to get the bristles from the pig, the pig ent dey.  The damn pig get up and was roaming around the yard.

#5 Jun 02, 2020 4:16 pm

houston
Active

That was one smart pig that played dead, Slice.
They are highly intelligent you know.

#6 Jun 02, 2020 4:17 pm

New Historian
Active

Pigs are very smart (except the one in the WH currently); and they have a sixth sense that tells them, when the end of their world is nigh. I've seen a man just take out his blade and look at the pig, and the thing started to bellow and scream like his life depended on it! Which it did. And it didn't do the pig any good in the end...

#7 Jun 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't know, Houston.  This is something I have never seen.  They aren't usually killed this way.  This is because of the coronavirus.  Normally they are made nearly unconscious with carbon dioxide and then killed individually with a blow to the head.  They just sleepwalk to their deaths.  You can't kill hogs in the manner of the video and then use them for food.

For the record, my family isn't in the business of killing them.  They are alive when they leave our facility so I don't really know that much about killing and butchering them.

#8 Jun 02, 2020 4:48 pm

houston
Active

Thanks RD, I was just a bit surprised to learn of how the hogs are exterminated in such a cruel manner. I guess it's another one of those horrible things we don't want to know about.

#9 Jun 02, 2020 5:31 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Pigs are very smart (except the one in the WH currently); and they have a sixth sense that tells them, when the end of their world is nigh. I've seen a man just take out his blade and look at the pig, and the thing started to bellow and scream like his life depended on it! Which it did. And it didn't do the pig any good in the end...

The PM of Canada made ah speech, see if you can find it.  These are the moments leaders rise to the top.  Today ah was checking some polls. I only truse ABC, Washington post polls, and ah was shocked that Trump still got that much support.  He is way down, in all polls, but the 35% of American who still supports him, is crazy.

Ah see that also. Ah was going downtown one day and ah man was leading ah pig to get slaughtered, that damn pig was screaming his ARSE off. By the time ah came from downtown meat was waiting on the side of the road.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 02, 2020 5:39 pm)

#10 Jun 02, 2020 5:35 pm

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

That was one smart pig that played dead, Slice.
They are highly intelligent you know.

Houston you too damn nice. You ah peace maker and now you care about how hogs are killed. Me ah doh give ah damn, all ah know is that ah like pork, so me ent care if they smarth or not, ah just like bacon and ah good Stew pork leg or shoulder.  Lord doh talk about Country ribs ah love it bad.

Board footer