You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 07, 2020 7:50 pm

Expat
Active

A really crap morning.

4:58 Ring, Ring...

Bloody Phone ringing.

Hurl myself across the bed... "Hello, its the police in the junction, I'd like to buytwo coconut plants I'm going off duty just now.

me"But its 4:58"....

"I could get another officer to pick them up tomorrow afternoon"

Me "That sounds more sensible". Down goes phone.

Toss and turn... what de hell matter with the guy... etc.

Babbbboooooooom   Thunder rolls.   Oh shit.... Sally.

Before I can get to the door frantic scratching of dog on front door. Let it in and try to sleep on settee, Dog makes licking noises, which make it hard. Then it runs out to bark at somebody or a dog, and I close the door and head for bed.

Settle in, and cough cough cough.  Oh bugger. Wife starts coughing.

08:30 wake up feeling like crap. A feeling that persists into the afternoon.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 07, 2020 8:44 pm)

#2 Jun 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: A really crap morning.

They called at 4:58?  That's messed up.

#3 Jun 08, 2020 6:57 am

Slice
Active

You have ah business, then be prepared to run you business. It is they know, you sell Coconut plants.  The guy is about to leave your area and not sure if he coming back to your area, so what is wrong with ah early call?

You lucky he din jump you fence and take it.  They are right dey visible to the public.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 08, 2020 5:06 pm)

#4 Jun 08, 2020 8:52 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

You have ah business, then be prepared to run you business. It is know, you sell Coconut plants.  The guy is about to leave your area and not sure if he coming back to your area, so what is wrong with ah early call?

You lucky he din jump you fence and take it.  They are right dey visible to the public.

So when IGA opens at 8am, do they have to come in early in case a policeman goes off shift.

Don't be a prat mister.

As it happens he is LOCAL.  cos he works in ST DAVIDS.... He just is thoughtless, and damn stupid.

#5 Jun 08, 2020 9:43 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I gotta tell you, from the perspective of those of us on 'the big island' every bit of Grenada seems local.  Guam is about twice as much area as Grenada and it all seemed pretty close together to me.

#6 Jun 08, 2020 3:41 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I gotta tell you, from the perspective of those of us on 'the big island' every bit of Grenada seems local.  Guam is about twice as much area as Grenada and it all seemed pretty close together to me.

To you yes, but I bet even those people had different timbre to their speech from one area to another.

The reference to local was meant to reinforce to Slice who was having a silly moment that he (the policeman) lives so close he could probably have walked here when he had had his nap. And that he woks in our "local" police station.

I am thinking Sliceee having experienced the 24 hour marts thinks we should get up out of the pit anytime someone need something.

He will get common sense knocked back into him fairly quickly when he gets back.

And it wasn't even for a dozen or 100, it was for 2.

#7 Jun 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Slice
Active

Look Expat before ah left Grenada and ah use to drink, it was never too early or to late, for we to wake the Rum Shop owner for ah 1/8s. You Spice now it is time you get used to dat.

So in way ah kinda want to agree with RD, everything is kinda local, allyu know everyone  Grenada on the island. Ah try me best to blend in, but ah still get caught.  On Saturdays when ah going to the market, no matter how ah talk and how ah dress, they still make me pay more.

Them bastards can even tell the White Grenadians, from we black JCBs.

#8 Jun 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Expat
Active

Trust me what you will get if you think you are buying a plant that can be purchased at any regular time of day at 5 oclock in the morning you will be sadly disappointed. You will more likely collect some heavy words than a plant believe me.

Grenada is changing, civilisation is slowly making it's impact.  I doubt you could buy a coffee at 4 am from your rum shop patron. never mind an 1/8th.

#9 Jun 10, 2020 8:19 am

Slice
Active

Dat is wha is so damn scarry, is the change that is coming.  Ah wanna see the changes in the tech business. Motor vehicle inspections,get rid of that damn sticker you get for registration.  Make something square no more than 1inx1in on your number plate.  The ole one too damn hard to remove.  Update all government offices.  Those are the kind of changes ah wanna see.  Keep the culture just as is.

Ah still wand go to ah country shop and if ah short monies, ah want to hear the shop owner say bring it back, when you have time.  You damn right ah still want to be able to buy ah 1/8 ah rum 3am.

Ah want when ah go the butcher and vegetable markets ah doh wanna be pay more than the average Spice person.

Change everything else, but leave we damn culture alone.

Get rid of that blasted Bus terminal and go back to the way it is.

Ah wand to be able to drive up to Vola Pasture no matter what time it is and hang under the Moonlight, for as long as ah want.  Ah tink I can still do dat.

I cant get over me grand pupa have ah place named after him.

#10 Jun 10, 2020 10:07 am

Expat
Active

I wrote the following before I re-read that it was the sticker you are bitchin about.... Yeah I agree with you on that one.

We don't have tax disks at all in the UK now as computers know if you are licensed or not, so you drive along and the police just pull you over. A bit of a stretch for Grenada for sure.... But before that we had little round paper disks you put in a holder and just swapped out the old paper disk when the year was up. No scraping, no messing. But then I have seen those stickers on cars in America, so just another copy cat piece of stupidity from our lot.

Get rid of vehicle inspections.... Boy you is insane.

The inspections we have are totally inadequate, done by policemen who are not, or at least the ones I have spoken to qualified mechanics, and seemingly only with a basic grasp on what is required. They don't really check brake efficiency, the have no idea how worn your steering is, they have no idea whether your suspension is good or bad. They don't even know if you have a bloody great hole in your chasis. Nor do they know if your headlights are aligned, engine polluting like crazy, or seat belts work effectively.

There must be hundreds of vehicles out there risking me, you and somebody's child out there that should never see the road again, but they will pass the laughable test.

Like I said, I wrote that before realising what you meant.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 10, 2020 10:14 am)

Board footer