You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 15, 2020 9:24 am

Expat
Active

A lotta dust

Coming our way.

Nadma issued a warning, which I paid no attention to, but on looking at the world weather app regarding Hurricanes I flipped to particulates and there is a massive dust cloud departing Western Africa from the Sahara with just the tiniest tip over by us at the moment, so yer cars are going to get dirty.

#2 Jun 16, 2020 12:45 pm

Slice
Active

Re: A lotta dust

Never heard of Sahara dust, traveling all the way to the Caribbean, until I Grenada about 5 years ago.  Outside was so cloudy, ah told me cousin it is going to rain, he said noway boy that is Sahara dust.

That was amazing to me.  I hope there is something they can do, to stop this shite from coming to the Caribbean.

#3 Jun 16, 2020 2:09 pm

New Historian
Active

Whe dis dus' deh? Ah ent see no dus'. De odda day dem say big stam comin' when ah check, no stam nowhe deh.

#4 Jun 16, 2020 3:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

#5 Jun 16, 2020 3:44 pm

New Historian
Active

Okay, ah see dus'

#6 Jun 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I hope they don't stop it, Slice. Without the Sahara dust, the Amazon rain forest dies.

NASA wrote:

This trans-continental journey of dust is important because of what is in the dust, Yu said. Specifically the dust picked up from the Bodélé Depression in Chad, an ancient lake bed where rock minerals composed of dead microorganisms are loaded with phosphorus. Phosphorus is an essential nutrient for plant proteins and growth, which the Amazon rain forest depends on in order to flourish.

Nutrients – the same ones found in commercial fertilizers – are in short supply in Amazonian soils. Instead they are locked up in the plants themselves. Fallen, decomposing leaves and organic matter provide the majority of nutrients, which are rapidly absorbed by plants and trees after entering the soil. But some nutrients, including phosphorus, are washed away by rainfall into streams and rivers, draining from the Amazon basin like a slowly leaking bathtub.

The phosphorus that reaches Amazon soils from Saharan dust, an estimated 22,000 tons per year, is about the same amount as that lost from rain and flooding, Yu said. The finding is part of a bigger research effort to understand the role of dust and aerosols in the environment and on local and global climate.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/na … n-s-plants

#7 Jun 16, 2020 8:04 pm

Expat
Active

Yep, I was just about to say the same thing, until I saw your post.  Sahara feeds the Amazon, and covers yer car in crap... smile

#8 Jun 17, 2020 5:04 pm

Slice
Active

So wha happen to folks health in the Caribbean?  This dust just can not be healthy for Grenadians like Expat.

#9 Jun 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I think the odds of stopping it are roughly on par with the success of a plan to make the sun rise in the west and set in the east.

#10 Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Expat
Active

Woyyyyyy.

Looks like half the Sahara is going to land on we head. If the land wasn't fertile before, it sure as hell will be after this.

Board footer