You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Midsummer's Day

Just a photo I snapped near my father's house on Father's Day.

20200621-144810.jpg

#2 Jun 23, 2020 3:47 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Midsummer's Day

Nice dynamic picture.

Sorry dude...

Shame about the GMO corn being shipped off to the feed lots in the train....

Sorry...

#3 Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm

houston
Active

That's a beauty...fantastic clarity.
June is a perfect time of year in the rurals, everything is so lush and green. Blues sky's and interesting cloud formations.
Looking similar in this neck of the woods these days.

#4 Jun 23, 2020 7:18 pm

houston
Active

It does make those harsh winter months well worth the wait.
Corn here is about half that size but looking like it will be knee high by the fourth of July.
You need to hear my American swang when I say that.

#5 Jun 23, 2020 10:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

As long as I am sharing photos... My boy and I like to find abandoned bridges. There seem to be a lot in Iowa.  This old railroad bridge isn't far from my home.

20200613-184158-2.jpg

#6 Jun 24, 2020 9:49 am

piratejenny
Active

RD - I think there is nothing that can cause me to wax eloquent morethan to see a flat field of corn, planted in rows under a blue sky with beautiful clouds. I enjoyed corn fields in person, before the virus, in Southern Indiana, but the corn was planted so thick. We were trying to get to an old cemetery and decided we would get cut up by the corn leaves if we tried to cross into the property.

#7 Jun 24, 2020 10:11 am

New Historian
Active

That's one long-ass freight train, I remember in la Grange Illinois, the trains would take AGES to pass the crossing! Good pictures, here's some of my scenes:

Distance.jpg

Fuggys-hole.jpg

St-Georges.jpg

True-Blue-grey.jpg

#8 Jun 24, 2020 11:02 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I see 14 visible cars on that train.  It probably had 100 and was over a mile long.

That aerial shot of St. Georges is pretty cool. smile

Jenny, yes, the corn is ubiquitous here.  I am sitting in my home office right now and, leaning over to look out the window, I see corn for miles.

#9 Jun 24, 2020 11:56 pm

Expat
Active

Wheres the other bridges of Madison County... smile

#10 Jun 25, 2020 5:24 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I see 14 visible cars on that train.  It probably had 100 and was over a mile long.

That aerial shot of St. Georges is pretty cool. smile

Jenny, yes, the corn is ubiquitous here.  I am sitting in my home office right now and, leaning over to look out the window, I see corn for miles.

Trust me, I know about long trains. They cut through southwestern Ontario at anytime of day. I can turn the vehicle off and have lunch by the time some of these trains pass by. Occasionally they will go so far, then stop and reverse...crazy.
Often wonder how EMS would ever get to crisis on the other side.

This photo from this morning is pretty dark but gives an idea of the height of the corn here, only about a foot high so far. Not much rain lately.

20200625-104015.jpg

Board footer