You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 25, 2020 5:11 pm

houston
Active

Grass fed beef

Passed by these Highland cattle this morning. Rare to see in these parts so I stopped to take a few photos. Surprising how deep they would wander into the cedar forest.

20200625-080813.jpg

20200625-080546.jpg

20200625-080508.jpg

20200625-080424.jpg

20200625-080354.jpg

20200625-080238.jpg

#2 Jun 25, 2020 9:05 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Grass fed beef

What I like about riding through Ireland are the sights of cows, sheep and lambs, gambolling around in the green fields. Happy cows equal tasty beef!

#3 Jun 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Expat
Active

Oh come on, fattening at feedlots on unnatural feedstock  has to be better ......

#4 Jun 25, 2020 9:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Corn fed beef is the best beef.

#5 Jun 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Expat
Active

I guess if you are surrounded by Maize you would say that.

Is Maize actually normally part of a cows diet? nah. Is GMO adulterated Maize which gets crap into the human food chain buggering up the gut flora supposed to be part of animal rearing nah.

How come The Glyphosate manufactures are having to pay out BILLIONS if it is only anecdotal side effects.

Fortunately European farmers do not poison their cattle, and by extension their meat purchasers.

#6 Jun 25, 2020 10:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It tastes sooooooooo much better.

#7 Jun 25, 2020 10:30 pm

houston
Active

Everything purchased at the grocery store seems to be corn fed these days. Chicken, pork, beef, lamb, turkey...will fish be next?
Gotta tell ya, there is no better tasting steak then that of a cow that grazes on grass.

#8 Jun 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

They all graze on grass most of their lives.  They get corn fed only at the end.  I really don't know how anyone can really believe that 100% grass fed beef tastes better than corn fed. It is gamey and tastes vaguely of liver. 

And yes.  Farm raised catfish are fed corn.

#9 Jun 25, 2020 10:43 pm

Expat
Active

Fortunately I have not had the opportunity to find out. Well, correction, I have deliberately not eaten meat sourced from the USA.

Maybe or most likely our well traveled NH can make the comparison for us.

Taste is partly down to exposure. I have always eaten UK beef which is slaughtered and then hung for around 4 weeks in chilled chambers to "mature" and soften the meat.

Yesterday I had some locally grown steak, and up to this point I don't know if it was my Wife's lack of understanding on how to fry it that caused it to be like shoe leather, or that it wasn't "hung", also it didn't have much flavour. She tends to think all steaks should be cooked as in a casserole kind of way. Fortunately there is a piece left, and I think a quick fry up will give me a medium steak and make me more able to make a sensible comparison.

We had wars at a couple of restaurants in the UK when they gave her gríddled steaks and they were not cooked all the way through... Then as expected , when they came back they were cooked all the way through, but burnt and tough as old boots. Much indignation, and "they don't know how to cook steak".

#10 Jun 25, 2020 10:47 pm

houston
Active

I love fresh corn on the cob when in season.
Corn fed Catfish..not so keen on that.

Board footer