You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 25, 2020 10:59 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Grass fed beef

houston wrote:

Everything purchased at the grocery store seems to be corn fed these days. Chicken, pork, beef, lamb, turkey...will fish be next?
Gotta tell ya, there is no better tasting steak then that of a cow that grazes on grass.

My understanding, that there was a glut of corn/maize a while back, and they figured they could use the excess to make HFCS, and after creating a market for more corn, and the productivity was ratcheted up, it then got force fed into animals that wouldn't normally eat it.  Sure Chickens will, and do eat corn, Pigs will eat any crap, just don't feed em feed stuff that will turn them to fat,  but sheep? cattle? fish?

Trying to remember the story, but I think it was cattle that were fed on the floor waste of chicken sheds, and then HAVE to be inoculated with antibiotics to kill off the bugs in their feed. How can anyone dream up feeding shit to an animal that normally eats grass?

I know my dog, and probably lots of others thinks its ok to lick up chicken droppings, damn, the stupid thing ate a decayed chick body out of an abandoned nest in front of me today. But dogs are scavengers, and have an extremely high acid content in their stomachs cattle are not.

#12 Jun 25, 2020 10:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

We always grill steaks on an open flame.  Sear the outside almost black and bloody inside.  This is about perfect.

edab386ac6c4b6a98387dcfd68f4b99c.jpg

Houston... catfish are bottom dwellers.  Corn is the least vile thing they eat.

#13 Jun 25, 2020 11:19 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:

Fortunately I have not had the opportunity to find out. Well, correction, I have deliberately not eaten meat sourced from the USA.

Maybe or most likely our well traveled NH can make the comparison for us.

Taste is partly down to exposure. I have always eaten UK beef which is slaughtered and then hung for around 4 weeks in chilled chambers to "mature" and soften the meat.

Yesterday I had some locally grown steak, and up to this point I don't know if it was my Wife's lack of understanding on how to fry it that caused it to be like shoe leather, or that it wasn't "hung", also it didn't have much flavour. She tends to think all steaks should be cooked as in a casserole kind of way. Fortunately there is a piece left, and I think a quick fry up will give me a medium steak and make me more able to make a sensible comparison.

We had wars at a couple of restaurants in the UK when they gave her gríddled steaks and they were not cooked all the way through... Then as expected , when they came back they were cooked all the way through, but burnt and tough as old boots. Much indignation, and "they don't know how to cook steak".

Expat, in my experience with restaurants, if it isn't delivered as advertised you may as well get up and go.
That complaint and long wait for a second attempt while the rest eat their hot meal isn't going to be an enjoyable evening. By the time you get that now overcooked cut of beef back onto your plate the mood has changed.
Better off eating the first serving raw.

#14 Jun 25, 2020 11:24 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

We always grill steaks on an open flame.  Sear the outside almost black and bloody inside.  This is about perfect.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/ab/38 … f4b99c.jpg

Maybe a bit more bloody than I would want, but it's along the lines. Wifeys was grey all the way through, and simmered rather than fried.

#15 Jun 25, 2020 11:27 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:
Expat wrote:

Fortunately I have not had the opportunity to find out. Well, correction, I have deliberately not eaten meat sourced from the USA.

Maybe or most likely our well traveled NH can make the comparison for us.

Taste is partly down to exposure. I have always eaten UK beef which is slaughtered and then hung for around 4 weeks in chilled chambers to "mature" and soften the meat.

Yesterday I had some locally grown steak, and up to this point I don't know if it was my Wife's lack of understanding on how to fry it that caused it to be like shoe leather, or that it wasn't "hung", also it didn't have much flavour. She tends to think all steaks should be cooked as in a casserole kind of way. Fortunately there is a piece left, and I think a quick fry up will give me a medium steak and make me more able to make a sensible comparison.

We had wars at a couple of restaurants in the UK when they gave her gríddled steaks and they were not cooked all the way through... Then as expected , when they came back they were cooked all the way through, but burnt and tough as old boots. Much indignation, and "they don't know how to cook steak".

Expat, in my experience with restaurants, if it isn't delivered as advertised you may as well get up and go.
That complaint and long wait for a second attempt while the rest eat their hot meal isn't going to be an enjoyable evening. By the time you get that now overcooked cut of beef back onto your plate the mood has changed.
Better off eating the first serving raw.

Yes, but it wasn't undercooked in the first place, for just about anyone who understood what medium rare might be. Like I tried to imply, wifey expected a simmered meal in gravy/sauce, not a lump of meat on the plate with veggies .

#16 Jun 25, 2020 11:28 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/ab/38 … f4b99c.jpg

Would be if it wasn't GMO feed.

Board footer