You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Expat
Active

New Zealand is proving Quarantining works Mr Slice

They have had a few new cases.

Are they community spread?  NO, they are people coming from India, the UK, Pakistan, and other high risk places.

Fortunately they have quarantined them, and the Indian couple with a baby child tested positive on the TWELFTH day having shown no symptoms.

A couple of women from the UK were released early for compassionate reasons.... and then tested POSITIVE.

Restrictions ARE necessary to protect our backsides from places where either they are unfortunate enough to have an inability to control things, or where the Executive office is more stupid that many of it's freedom loving citizens.

So expect to do some time when you come back.

#2 Jun 28, 2020 9:34 am

Slice
Active

Re: New Zealand is proving Quarantining works Mr Slice

Expat you know what ah want, clear directions.  You cant release ah press release and change it ah few days later.  Tell us abroad what is the situation.  That is my concern.  I just think the Press release was well intended, but Grenadians put plenty pressure and the government and now they are confused.

Lets us know if there is ah quarantine, and for how long.  That is all we wanna know.  Some of us doh live vikey vie like all you.  We have ah plan and we wanna know how to execute, our plans.

#3 Jun 28, 2020 1:11 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Of course quarantining works.  If we all stayed away from each other it couldn't spread.  This is common sense.

So my brother called me yesterday to tell me that his life long friend hung himself.  He had trouble with depression all of his life.   In March his longtime girlfriend broke up with him.  The business he had was on the rocks due to covid.  His letter said he was lonely isolating alone and had no hope.  He's dead now.

Now, I ask you, how many will kill themselves?  I don't know but I bet for everyone who does, there are a thousand in the pits of despair.

How many businesses will fail?  What cost?

The Black Lives Matter protests have nothing to do with the quarantine but just about everyone agrees that the quarantine added high octane, rocket fuel to the intensity of the protests.

How much misery can quarantines impose and what are the costs of those quarantines in terms of despair,  economic depression and social unrest?

I get it, Expat.  You are a grouchy, crotchety English pensioner and believe everyone should just fall into line.  Frankly, I don't disagree.  If everyone would go near no one outside their household for 30 days, this thing would pretty much disappear.  Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy, huh?  We can do this.

Except the power grid would go down, communications would fail, the hospitals would be unusable, the cities would burn and civilization would be endanger of falling apart.

Yes, yes, that is a very extreme scenario.  So dial it back.  People aren't going to stay quarantined forever.  At some point there will be social unrest, riots and devastation.

As for New Zealand.  It is the most remote large nation in the world, it is an island and it's homogeneous population is about half the greater Dallas-Fort Worth metro area.   It isn't really instructional for a continent wide, diverse, multi-government nation-state.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jun 28, 2020 2:30 pm)

#4 Jun 28, 2020 2:13 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Expat you know what ah want, clear directions.  You cant release ah press release and change it ah few days later.  Tell us abroad what is the situation.  That is my concern.  I just think the Press release was well intended, but Grenadians put plenty pressure and the government and now they are confused.

Lets us know if there is ah quarantine, and for how long.  That is all we wanna know.  Some of us doh live vikey vie like all you.  We have ah plan and we wanna know how to execute, our plans.

The answer is simple, keep checking the GIS, and you will see exactly the same updates as we get. Easy Peasy.

#5 Jun 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Of course quarantining works.  If we all stayed away from each other it couldn't spread.  This is common sense.

So my brother called me yesterday to tell me that his life long friend hung himself.  He had trouble with depression all of his life.   In March his longtime girlfriend broke up with him.  The business he had was on the rocks due to covid.  His letter said he was lonely isolating alone and had no hope.  He's dead now.

Now, I ask you, how many will kill themselves?  I don't know but I bet for everyone who does, there are a thousand in the pits of despair.

How many businesses will fail?  What cost?

The Black Lives Matter protests have nothing to do with the quarantine but just about everyone agrees that the quarantine added high octane, rocket fuel to the intensity of the protests.

How much misery can quarantines impose and what are the costs of those quarantines in terms of despair,  economic depression and social unrest?

I get it, Expat.  You are a grouchy, crotchety English pensioner and believe everyone should just fall into line.  Frankly, I don't disagree.  If everyone would go near no one outside their household for 30 days, this thing would pretty much disappear.  Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy, huh?  We can do this.

Except the power grid would go down, communications would fail, the hospitals would be unusable, the cities would burn and civilization would be endanger of falling apart.

Yes, yes, that is a very extreme scenario.  So dial it back.  People aren't going to stay quarantined forever.  At some point there will be social unrest, riots and devastation.

As for New Zealand.  It is the most remote large nation in the world, it is an island and it's homogeneous population is about half the greater Dallas-Fort Worth metro area.   It isn't really instructional for a continent wide, diverse, multi-government nation-state.

Fortunately we have a long way to go to reach 1918 levels, but I think these photo's will be of interest.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/msolomon/2 … c44095b54a

Yep we had three people kill themselves because they were bored. Weak minds are like weak immune systems, if you have one you are going to go under. What ever the cause or pressure.

This is a documentary on ifs and buts. None of which anyone can do much about. Please for once take it much of what I am saying does not relate simply to America, it's greatest ally has been bloody stupid as well.

IF the clues we got from the initial infections in China were taken seriously more quickly and international travel was blocked much more quickly this could have been minuscule as far as America goes. BUT it didn't.

Despite the start of the pandemic being China, it is more likely Americas infections came via Europe. A carte Blanche cut in flights would have killed the thing on the spot.

There is some truth on all sides of the arguments. There is some truth in the anti mask perspective. It does actually suppress oxygen intake which places the body and the immune system under stress, and makes you more susceptible to many forms of infection. However I would not throw away when combined with distancing a 95% chance of not breathing in pathogens simply because "I live in a free country and you can't tell me what to do".

The barn doors have been open for too long and all the horses have bolted. Because of poor advice from the WHO and CDC in particular people have not done the most effective things from the get go, and if we only talk America the results are horrendous infection numbers. Luckily although not small by any stretch of the imagination the death ratio in America is not as bad as it would seem to have been in the UK. But the UK seems to be joining the rest of Europe in a controlled small ongoing infection as compared to the ballooning version in America. So like so many things in the stats tables Americas death ration is likely to worsen, even with better appreciations of treatment practices.

Obviously smaller countries with no borders will find it easier to control things like a pandemic, as you only have illegal water or air entry to worry about, and strict controls can and have limited the spread. Most of the English speaking Caribbean as an example.

Once the cat was out of the bag America obviously was going to have a problem, and in the early days in New York, even without their almost genocidal treatment of Blacks, the knowledge on how best to treat it took an understandable time to be developed, so higher death rates were to be expected. But halfway decent leadership could have saved almost going into the hundred of thousand of lives. If the bullet had been bitten and a full clamp down imposed financial catastrophes would have been few, job losses limited, and the economic rebound quick.

Just like in the financial collapse 2018 America could have been at the forefront of recovery. But no.

Some will say it is easy to have 20/20 vision, but mine was not 20/20, I was saying stuff like this from the get go. I ain't the sharpest tool in the box, but what you(RD) said that if you contain it, it goes away, was my mantra. But many sources, yourself included raved about flattening the curve to help the hospitals, instead of snapping the curve to nothing to save people.

Flattening the curve automatically means you are prepared to sacrifice people while the curve flattens. This may sound great as compared to doing nothing and the infection rate just going to the heavens, and people die like flies at home or in hospitals. But it sounds pretty shitty compared to a few thousand infections and a few hundred deaths which a clamp down would have probably brought about.

Now in England they are having illegal raves, and the place is going to shit.

Americans seem to be walking like lemmings to their Bill of Rights enshrined deaths. The whole thing is nuts.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 28, 2020 3:06 pm)

#6 Jun 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

People in the US are not going to just obey orders.  You can judge that negatively or positively but it is like a law of nature.  I understand that you don't approve of that. 

I wish people would be more cautious, wear masks in public, keep their distance, stay out of crowds etc.  I do all of those things.   Some people will, some people won't.

"So force them", right?   Yeah, I don't think so.  I'd rather live with the threat of covid than live in a police state.

#7 Jun 28, 2020 3:24 pm

Slice
Active

So on the 25th ah got ah call  saying ah need to quarantine. Apparently when ah took me car to the shop on the 13th, the person who worked on me car came down with covid on the 20th.

Well leh me tell you, it was mighty scary.  Ah call me doctor immediately wanting ah test, but she said I do not meet the qualification for ah test.

Anyway time pass and ah good.

I think my point is, yes it is very scary, but folks must survive, one can't  stay locked up for ever and ever Amen.

I take protective measures and do what  ah have to do.  I probably wash me hand about 20 times ah day, and always wear mask.

#8 Jun 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

So on the 25th ah got ah call  saying ah need to quarantine. Apparently when ah took me car to the shop on the 13th, the person who worked on me car came down with covid on the 20th.

Well leh me tell you, it was mighty scary.  Ah call me doctor immediately wanting ah test, but she said I do not meet the qualification for ah test.

Anyway time pass and ah good.

I think my point is, yes it is very scary, but folks must survive, one can't  stay locked up for ever and ever Amen.

I take protective measures and do what  ah have to do.  I probably wash me hand about 20 times ah day, and always wear mask.

You name the number but not the month If it's last month time has passed, if it's this month it hasn't.

You maybe lucky on 2 levels. Maybe you had it, and didn't get any symptoms, and maybe you now have some antibodies.

No one, or at least me is saying this had to have gone on for ever. The actions of the poor administrations and irresponsible people who according to RD should not be held accountable for their brothers death, or disability are the ones ensuring this thing drags out.

We have a long long way to go to be as bad as the 1918 pandemic. Despite their medicine causing the pneumonia as a side effect that killed many many people, they did at least figure out wearing masks was not such a bad idea. Rather like they have figured out using forced air ventilation has killed thousands of people this time round.

#9 Jun 28, 2020 5:16 pm

houston
Active

At the end of the day, the people will decide what they want to do.
The bumbling governments, authorities and irresponsible media have gotten this wrong, right from the get go.

#10 Jun 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

At the end of the day, the people will decide what they want to do.
The bumbling governments, authorities and irresponsible media have gotten this wrong, right from the get go.

Exactly.  Well said.

Board footer