You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 27, 2020 8:18 pm

Expat
Active

One heavy piece of wind

And no, nothing from Trump.

We had a reall blast of wind today, bending coconuts to the ground, and shaking everything up.

It made a trea land on our power lines just up the road from me, and we lost electricity for around 7 hours or so.

When the fridge freezer came back on it was 0 degrees fro the freezer, and 14 degrees for the fridge.... sad

No idea of the temp in the chest freezer.

My generator kept on cutting off. The Daughters needed an overhaul before it was fit for service. By the time I got it back to the house it was electricity up and running again.... Shucks.

#2 Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm

houston
Active

Re: One heavy piece of wind

Good idea to keep those generators in top shape for when needed. A monthly exercise is good practice.
Is it manual transfer from commercial to emergency power?

#3 Jun 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Good idea to keep those generators in top shape for when needed. A monthly exercise is good practice.

Isolate from the main, plug in the suicide cord, and pull.

#4 Jun 28, 2020 9:07 am

Slice
Active

But ah doh tink ah would get ah generator involved for something that minor.  Now if there is ah hurricane, yes for sure.  Now if it is an automatic generator, that comes on once power goes, then that is fine, but for ah few hours nah.

Reminds me once ah get to Grenada, ah must check mine.  The electrician say he have to do something, but he never got to ot.

#5 Jun 28, 2020 9:08 am

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Isolate from the main, plug in the suicide cord, and pull.

Yup, simple so. I got mine all ready to start at any time.

#6 Jun 28, 2020 9:28 am

Slice
Active

The big story about Expat posting to me is not the wind and the lost of power, but how he speaks, that Man has totally taken control of the Grenadian dialect.  The man now speaks totally Grenadian.

#7 Jun 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

But ah doh tink ah would get ah generator involved for something that minor.  Now if there is ah hurricane, yes for sure.  Now if it is an automatic generator, that comes on once power goes, then that is fine, but for ah few hours nah.

Reminds me once ah get to Grenada, ah must check mine.  The electrician say he have to do something, but he never got to ot.

It does not take long for Fridges/Freezers to normalise and climb steadily up to ambient temperatures. With a chest freezer loaded with stuff, and our American Fridge freezer loaded with stuff, that's a lot of potentially buggered food.

I have to pay the first $500 of a freezer failure, so while helpful, it would be a hassle for a few hundred dollars to claim.

#8 Jun 28, 2020 5:37 pm

houston
Active

Yes, refrigerated and frozen food stocks are pretty important these days, you don't want to be continually going to the store to buy fresh.
The frozen products could maybe last for 48 hours during an outage...depending on the insulation and the ambient temperature.
Fridge products, maybe 12 hours. That dairy stuff can have a greatly reduced shelf life if not kept at about 7°C.

#9 Jun 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Expat
Active

I can assure you that at around 30 degrees ambient the food is thawed long before 48 hours, and you can't eat it all at once, or after that length of time refreeze.

#10 Jun 28, 2020 9:38 pm

houston
Active

Any good freezer should hold for at least one day, even at 30.

Board footer