You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 29, 2020 11:42 pm

Expat
Active

Stop killing the bloody snakes

Serpents or what ever you want to call them, all snakes serpents etc are all snakes. Or all serpents, just because you call a tree snake a serpent is just cos that's what you call it.

Regardless, all the Snakes in Grenada are endangered, some of them greatly. OK, some of that may be simply because of human building all over the place, but lets face it you guys like to kill snakes like crazy.

That's OK if you are in the middle of Arizona, and a rattle snake is bearing down on you. But NONE of the snakes/serpents/wiggly things in Grenada are venomous as far as humans are concerned. I think I was even bitten by one some time back in the undergrowth in St Pauls, I went Oww... looked and there were 2 tiny holes on my finger tip. But no anaphylactic shock, frothing at the mouth, thrashing around on the ground in agony. just Oww and a pin prick of blood.

Check for yourself

https://www.caribbeanauthority.com/are- … ea-snakes/

One of the snakes in particular is doing you a favour it eats rats, Possum, and other small mamals, OK, and birds, but it's not out for Mr Personality.

Another eats.................. other snakes, but you want to kill it..... dumb.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 29, 2020 11:47 pm)

#2 Jun 30, 2020 8:24 am

Slice
Active

Re: Stop killing the bloody snakes

This is one that hurts badly.  I must confess killing snakes was like ah religion to me growing up in Grenada.  As we use to say the only good snake or serpent is ah dead one.

While in Grenada recently, ah visited a friend house, while visiting, his daughter shout out serpent.  Ah say way? I tried to save the damn reptile, but before ah take half step, her boyfriend cut the Serpent head off.  Lord ah was sad and tried to give both of them ah lesson, how important these snakes are.

Then another day ah was visiting me family in Charlotte vale.  Ah lady was picking wild flowers, she screamed out Serpent about five times saying kill it, kill it, kill it.  I said ok I will, she ran so fast, it was like she have an engine.  That give me time to allow the serpent to escape.  Ah shake the bushes, but it was moving so slow, ah had no idea what to do.

I think these folks need to be educated, and the government must launch ah program to educate these folks about the importance of snakes and serpents.  On carnival Monday in St David's I saw no less than 5 big snakes or serpent being abuse by Jab Jab players, with the police around.  I almost BAWL out please let them be.

Yes I have two regrets killing at that time what I saw, as the last two Chicken Hawks and also the killing of snakes.  I am so happy that the Chicken hawks are back, now ah keep two photos of Chicken hawks on my phone.

Leh me admit doh, not ah lover of snakes and serpents, but ah know their importance and will not ever kill another one.

#3 Jun 30, 2020 8:35 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I tell people the same thing here.  We do have an extremely rare and endangered timber rattlesnake in Iowa but I have only seen one once in my life.  All of the rest of the snakes here are harmless.  Still, some people kill them on sight.  I am always telling people to leave them alone.

#4 Jun 30, 2020 1:33 pm

New Historian
Active

AND the iguanas!

#5 Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Slice
Active

Well iguanas are food. I won't eat them, but from what ah hear they are nice eating.

#6 Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Well iguanas are food. I won't eat them, but from what ah hear they are nice eating.

Sally likes em.

#7 Jun 30, 2020 9:10 pm

houston
Active

Lots of water snakes along these waters.
Have to say, they are creepy.

20200629-171011.jpg

20200629-171023.jpg

20200629-170955.jpg

Board footer