You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 30, 2020 4:21 pm

Slice
Active

THE EARLY GRENADIANS WHO MIGRATED AND CAME BACK FOR VISITS

MOST left the impression, that the big world was easy street.  They way they bragged, ah think everyone of us wanted to come to the Big world.  I remember when ah was leaving Grenada, all ah kept thinking, was money was in abundance, so ah coming for ah few years and then ah coming back home.

I think a number of us after coming to the big world, quickly realize those folks were full ah shit. I later learned, that most of the show offs that came back, they life was not rosy.  In some cases, they came back today and was evicted the next week.

They bragged and told us ah bunch ah untruth.

It takes plenty discipline to make it in the Big World.  Ah wonder how many of us was not prepared for life in the Big World?  I know about ten who really could not make it.  Some went crazy, some drank themselves to death and some just gave up on life as ah whole.  They had no money to go back and just was not prepared for life in the Big World.

Knowing what I know now, would I have migrated? Yes, without question, but ah just wish I was told the truth.

#2 Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: THE EARLY GRENADIANS WHO MIGRATED AND CAME BACK FOR VISITS

You're right, but wha you expect dem runaways to do when they visit back? Show everyone dey brokes? LOL they gotta floss and bling, it's what's excepted of them. Jamaicans are the worst, nuff fake gold chain and Nike trainers! When you're going to Jamaica, every puss and dog over there says the same thing: Bring me a shoes nuh? Oh and a part for me Audi, jus' a small ting - a dashboard!

#3 Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

You're right, but wha you expect dem runaways to do when they visit back? Show everyone dey brokes? LOL they gotta floss and bling, it's what's excepted of them. Jamaicans are the worst, nuff fake gold chain and Nike trainers! When you're going to Jamaica, every puss and dog over there says the same thing: Bring me a shoes nuh? Oh and a part for me Audi, jus' a small ting - a dashboard!

And when you foolishly bring it, all you get, is thank you, and maybe not even that. Reimburse.... forget that. You is from away, you can afford it.

#4 Jun 30, 2020 7:31 pm

New Historian
Active

You got it, I see you've been burned too!

#5 Jul 01, 2020 7:08 am

Slice
Active

Well ah guess, I am ah new addition to the club.  Never ever again.

#6 Jul 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Expat
Active

Yeah, but it goes the other way too. You become a beast of burden bringing mangoes, roast breadfruit, grilled fish, avocados, Calaloo... lawd.

#7 Jul 02, 2020 8:30 am

Slice
Active

I think you and NH knows the system much, much better than me.  I stayed away and did not visit very often; so when ah jump in, I was dealing with the Grenada I knew 40 years ago.  Did not realize, it was a totally new place.

#8 Jul 02, 2020 10:03 am

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

I think you and NH knows the system much, much better than me.  I stayed away and did not visit very often; so when ah jump in, I was dealing with the Grenada I knew 40 years ago.  Did not realize, it was a totally new place.

Perfectly understandable, and all it takes is a period of readjustment, to shed that JCB tag lol. Where it's far more serious, with often fatal consequences, is Jamaica. JCBs there go back to where they were born, not reaizing that they have become totally foreign to Jamaicans - and perceived of as rich - a dangerous combination. Not helped when they build these mansions in the middle of nowhere, out of screaming distance from the nearest neighbour - another deadly combination. Many many have paid the price.

#9 Jul 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Expat
Active

It took me a while to chill down, I must admit to being a bit of a miserable git when I first arrived. I may have viseted many times, but it's a different vibe as a visitor.

When your roots have become you are, and all you getting is tourist treatment it's frustrating. Plus I hadn't quite picked up on the way people chat or make a silly start up to a chat. In consequence a) not being overly chatty, and b) coming from a place where conversation between strangers is rare, it took time to adjust. I was a non JCB, JCB.   smile

#10 Jul 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Slice
Active

Lord they can chat.  I am kinda ah loner in real life, but that quickly changes upon my arrival in Grenada.  If you know me, then I am  your friend, if not ah try to stay away from you.

Here is the other thing, they love to beg. But they ent greedy, they will give. There is one exception, in my hood, the drunk will sell the cloths of he back.

That ARSEhole met ah woman from England, and she was taking care of him.  Before she left she asked him to get his passport together and she will send for him.  The DRUNKEN BASTARD, spend every FRIGGING dime he make as ah diver.  As soon as he make ah little money, he drinks until it is gone.  Ah just doh know what to say about some folks.

Board footer