You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Expat
Active

These masks are super bad

Well, despite it all I still think not spitting germs over everyone and over surfaces is a good idea, but from what I have just seen just about any cloth mask from a full medical mask to a scarf draped around your face is super bad. I didn't see any tests done on commercial dust masks, which have a diaphragm so are more likely to allow stale air out more fully.

What am I rambling on about?  Well I was watching Highwire with Del Bigtree live a while back, and they showed us the US workplace requirements for CO2.  The level for junior school I think it was was max of 1200 parts per million. You start to get headaches and stuff at around 2400ppm it gets dangerous at around 5000ppm, and when they did a simple breathing exercise with a variety of masks using a commercial gas analyser most readings were at least over 7500 ppm, and many of them went off the scale literally at maybe 10,000ppm.

I knew the reduced oxygen levels by masking were leading our bodies into a stressed and immune deficient state, thereby making it more likely for us to be susceptible to a chance contact. But those cO2 figures are appalling.

#2 Jul 02, 2020 6:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: These masks are super bad

As long as we are wishing for perfect, Utopian solutions that solve difficult problems with no trade-offs, let's just wish the virus away, huh?

Until then, maybe we should just acknowledge that filtering out the virus with zero negative side effects is probably not possible.

By the way, the virus is about 1,000 times larger than an O2 molecule.  That means if an O2 molecule were the size of a golf ball, the virus would be the size of Ft. George.

The moral of the story?  Breathe a little harder and you get all the O2 you need.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 02, 2020 6:41 pm)

#3 Jul 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Slice
Active

There is always ah trade off.

#4 Jul 02, 2020 7:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

There is always ah trade off.

Yep. All of life is trade offs.  From the moment we are born until the day we die we compromise. You give up something to get something.  That's the basis of reality in thermodynamics, physics, economics and life.

#5 Jul 02, 2020 7:17 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

As long as we are wishing for perfect, Utopian solutions that solve difficult problems with no trade-offs, let's just wish the virus away, huh?

Until then, maybe we should just acknowledge that filtering out the virus with zero negative side effects is probably not possible.

By the way, the virus is about 1,000 times larger than an O2 molecule.  That means if an O2 molecule were the size of a golf ball, the virus would be the size of Ft. George.

The moral of the story?  Breathe a little harder and you get all the O2 you need.

Bizarre, you have gone from it is not worth wearing the mask because the molecule size is so small masks are ineffective so not worth wearing, to its breath harder and despite the data I just presented that indicates the re-breathing inside the mask raises the CO2 levels to totally unsafe and unacceptable levels. Not to mention the it's not utopia brush off. Really is that the best you've got?

The breath a little harder bollocks is just that, the harder you breath, the more likely it is you are going to ramp up the levels even higher. As a standard relaxed breathing took it out of the meters range within about 10 seconds heavy breathing which is exhaling bye products of life will just fill your mask with CO2 faster. It is the encapsulation of the old air that is the problem. In My humble opinion. Which is why I shall definitely be using an industrial mask with a diaphragm from now on.

Now, currently in Grenada I think the whole thing is a nonsense. But were I in any of the other countries affected I should be willing to comply again using a mask with a diaphragm, having hot stale air going back and forth is not my idea of fun.

It amazes me that you have seemingly gone from anti government, and restrictions to whipped dog overnight. Maybe you have started to believe the bullshite Fauchi and the vaccine invested mob are spewing.

#6 Jul 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

That's why doctors, nurses, dentists, painters and various other workers who have been wearing these things all day for decades are dropping like flies, right?

By the way, that diaphragm that lets the stale air out renders the mask worthless for preventing community spread.  The whole idea is to NOT blow your covid infected breath all over the place. 

You have gotten to be such a hypochondriac I am embarrassed for you.   Get a grip man.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 02, 2020 8:04 pm)

#7 Jul 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

HERE’S WHY THOSE MASKS WITH VALVES ARE USELESS IN PREVENTING COVID-19 TRANSMISSIONS

https://goodyfeed.com/valve-face-masks-useless/

#8 Jul 03, 2020 12:07 am

Expat
Active

Now, I have worn industrial masks for years. Without them I would have been breathing 4 times the legal limits of corrosive gasses from welding zinc coated metals. I have also used variants for spraying paints. So I have used them more than one weekend at a barbecue. I have worn single filter dust masks, Double filtered gas masks, double filtered dust particulate masks. Unvalved firm paper masks, and ACE's stupid flimsy paper masks that shouldn't even be in the market place.

The point about exhalation has SOME merit, but unless the masks being used by the general public are proper masks, and FITTED correctly.... Medical staff HAVE to be tested for fit if it is more than the cloth masks. They have also been trained not to keep touching them, and sliding fingers behind the mask to scratch their noses like Dr Fouchi does on camera. Otherwise they become as USELESS as the pack of ten flimsy crap you can get at ACE for little and nothing. Another point about MOST masks I have used or seen is that the little valve unlike that image of the N95 mask was mostly downward facing, so not directing bad humors into the face of the person you are looking at. Actually somebody had a shitstorm brainloss moment when they made it, as the idea of the mask is to protect the patient from your germs, and if the valve is venting downwards as in that picture, then it is right over the patient you are trying to protect. Or are we saying that is not a medical mask?

Because if they are not FITTED properly the side-stream breathing both in and out is worse than the diaphragm exhalation, as it not only doesn't stop the bacteria getting out, it also doesn't stop it coming in. Ergo the point about the diaphragm is mostly bullshit. Simply because unless you are running in a marathon or lifting 400 pounds dead weight you are not exhaling with any great force unless.... granted..... you have the virus and are coughing vigorously. We are regardless of mask supposed to be social distancing, were we doing that except in very rare cases there would not need to be a need for a mask anyway. Examples of when masks would be needed, perhaps at a Trump rally, or when 60 people are bellowing a tune at a choir rehearsal. Certainly it would be sensible to wear one in the confines of a supermarket where we can brush past each other for that special can of beans.

As for Medical staff not dropping dead from oxygen starvation. Actually only today I heard an ex nurse state she now has lung issues from continuous mask wearing. Even my own Sister who was a teaching sister at some points in her career has what she calls the Kercher Cough, which references one of my Grandfathers who was gassed in WW1.

PS, you can't get all the answers from a 5 second search on Google. Sometimes engaging the brain is part of the process.

PPS its easier to be cavalier when you are 50 than when you are a lot closer to 70. You'll figure that out one day.

#9 Jul 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Or maybe you have just become a fearful old hypochondriac in your dotage.

#10 Jul 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Slice
Active

WOAH!

Board footer