You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 05, 2020 9:52 am

Slice
Active

THE CHANGING FACE OF AMERICA, FOOD WISE

So this morning, ah got up and went to one  of our best supermarkets to buy tanyah (youtia).  Ten years ago that could not be possible.  I could now go to the finest supermarkets, including Whole Foods and get most foods that I grew up eating in Grenada. Yes the price is much more, but the fact is you can now get them.

I no longer have to go Caribbean or African market to get my Caribbean local foods.

There is now ah huge industry that are specialize in marketing Caribbean foods.  Goya is sold in every Supermarket in Maryland.

Just imagine I can now buy Grass Fed Oxtails.  Here is the kicker, the damn thing is $6.99 ah lb.

I know that might not seem like progress to allyu New Yorkers, but it is huge to me.

#2 Jul 05, 2020 10:34 am

Expat
Active

Re: THE CHANGING FACE OF AMERICA, FOOD WISE

When was the last time you saw an OX leisurely munching on grass.... LoL. Dat ting is a cow.

#3 Jul 06, 2020 11:06 am

piratejenny
Active

I recall once I planned to make ox-tail soup. I went to a market that focused on the local Latino population. The ox-tails I expected to be sold cheap like old stewing hens used to be. No way. Too expensive.

Then there is my food love affair with pigeon peas which were addictive for me. It was probably just at the end of the time before there was some pigeon pea blight. Every time I see Goya pigeon peas canned the price is doubled what it was before, and they don't taste that good canned. I always look for them dried - but cannot find.

I see mangoes and always wonder and remember the old days on Talkshop where folks waxed eloquent about Julie Mangoes. Now I some times get frozen mangoes and wish I had not bought them.

Slice, what you doing going to that expensive Whole Foods?

#4 Jul 06, 2020 2:28 pm

Slice
Active

Your taste might be strictly Grenadian.  You see Pirate, they are just not the same, if they are not grown in Grenada.  I know I am bias, but truth is truth.

Julie mangoes from Grenada, is something that need to be savored. I will never ever forget while in Grenada, Expat wife give me some Julie.  Lord ah sit in the veranda, and it was like Xmas in whatsoever month it was.  Lord they were good.

Even the Oxtails raised in Grenada the taste is out of this world.  Consider yourself luck, if you can get some local Oxtails in Grenada.  As soon as the butcher place open, some folks waiting to buy the damn thing.

My mom use ah bunch ah Cinnamon (spice) now spice is a very common  here in America.  She will not use what she can buy in the stores up here.  She say it is not the same.  Now ah swear ah have to bring up ah 10 lbs ah cinnamon
the next time ah go the Grenada.

I am not  sure what Goya sells and they call it pigeon peas, it is just not the same, but say what, ah buy it sometimes.

#5 Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm

New Historian
Active

I once had a white woman rolling around with laughter, when I gave her advice on buying - and eating oxtail.

"You have to get it from the arse end of the tail, where there's more meat, not down at the tip, where it's all bone!"

#6 Jul 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

An ox is a castrated bull trained as a draft animal.  You don't see them much anymore.  I don't know if I have ever seen an ox pulling a plow or cart in Iowa.

#7 Jul 06, 2020 3:48 pm

New Historian
Active

The ox in oxtail is one of those old words that no longer have any real meaning - is cow tail man, as Expat says. Mind you plenty oxen in Africa and Asia.

In the 1980s when I used to export winter vegetables from Jamaica (only veggies, honest!), we used to sell the huge green peppers and tomatoes to the USA, where "size mattered", and the smaller, sweeter ones to Europe, where "taste matters". American red apples are big and beautiful, but powdery and tasteless.

Oh gord ah remember selling our produce at Huntes' Pointe vegetable market in da Bronx, man what a bunch ah Mafia tief! You send up your nice fresh vegetables, but somehow they always seemed to arrive spoiled!

#8 Jul 06, 2020 4:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

For the record, my local grocery store usually has a good half dozen varieties of apples depending on the season.  If you want a big and pretty apple, get a 'red delicious".  If you want to make a pie, get Granny Smith apples.  If you want a sweet, crunchy apple, get a Cosmic Crisp; there are none better.

Y'all are always trying to make us out to be tasteless barbarians. smile

#9 Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm

New Historian
Active

Is alright RD, no need to get defensive lol, cos compared to us, y'all ARE "pretty tasteless" lol!! Britain used to be bland af, but now the national dish is a curry - go figure. Curries are usually eaten at 2AM, on the way home after a night on the razz! For bland foor, Norway is the king, lawd they have this thing called "fiske-pudding" - basically boiled fish, nothing name salt and pepper in de ting!! Parts of Africa are pretty awful too, if anyone offers you a local dish in Southern Africa or Uganda - run!!

#10 Jul 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Slice
Active

Lord both ah allyu forgetting or not mentioning the best and newest apple in the world.  It is Honeycrisp.  Red and Golden delicious are ah thing of the past.  Granny Smith took GD place ah long, long time ago.  Granny Smith you can eat and also cook with.

Honeycrisp is also the most expensive.  Leh me say, they are GOOD.

Board footer