You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 07, 2020 11:19 am

Slice
Active

WHO AM I?

Every major form, you are asked to fill out ask what is your race? I usually leave it blank. I am not African- American, I am not  African-European, can I describe myself as African- Grenadian or African- West Indian, or just Grenadian?

Grenadian on here, what to you do with that section of  forms?

#2 Jul 07, 2020 11:49 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: WHO AM I?

I usually check "Alaska Native/Alute"

Kidding.

#3 Jul 07, 2020 12:38 pm

New Historian
Active

These questions irritate me, but I guess why they have to keep track. I've a particular peeve with the African-American bullshit: why can't we just be black? White people are just white people, does anyone call them European American?

Yes, yes Expat, I know I put this before lol:

What’s in a Name?

Not long ago they called us slaves
Worked us to death, in unmarked graves
Then they told us that we were “free”
To become all that we wanted to be
They promised us forty acres and a mule
But who believes in promises? A fool

What’s in a name, you want to know?
I’ll spell it out for you, nice and slow
They called us N*gger, Coloured and Coon
But never a Man, was that too soon?
Afro-this, Afro-that, Afro all kinds of crap
Why the hell can’t we just be Black?

So again you ask: what’s in a name?
I’ll make it clear
So all can hear:
I ain’t no f*cking BAME!

* BAME: Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic. This is England's mish-mash for anyone who's not white!

Last edited by New Historian (Jul 07, 2020 12:38 pm)

#4 Jul 07, 2020 2:12 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am most certainly NOT a European American.  My only experience with Europe is as an American tourist. I am an American... an Iowan to be specific.   

I don't even know why they have to know your race.  How is it relevant?

#5 Jul 07, 2020 10:27 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I am most certainly NOT a European American.  My only experience with Europe is as an American tourist. I am an American... an Iowan to be specific.   

I don't even know why they have to know your race.  How is it relevant?

That's my instinctive response too, but, sadly, in this world we live in, it is relevant. Society is segregated, socially and most importantly economically, by race, and if "we" are to do something to correct it, we need hard data. I think you agree with me, it's just a situation we wish wasn't so. What gets me is when "they" get too clever, inventing all kinds of nonsensical terms and categories. We don't need to go into a million shades of gray, and sometimes it's alright to call a spade a spade.

#6 Jul 07, 2020 11:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

I think you agree with me, it's just a situation we wish wasn't so.

Yep. Well said.

#7 Jul 07, 2020 11:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Where they've got this racial categorization thing down to a fine art, is South Africa! Historically of course, your racial classification was a HUGELY important part of "who you are", and what rights you had, jobs you got, money you made - everything. There are 4 basic races: black, white, coloured and Indian, but within those seemingly harmless groups, the $64,000 question is: who is whom? There are lots of clearly coloured people who somehow got themselves, by bribery and favours, classified as white.

In the seventies, lots of Portuguese fled from their troubled homeland and went to South Africa, under government sponsored schemes, to boost up the "white" population. So all Portuguese migrants, because they'd come from "Europe", were automatically classed as white. Only problem: lots of Portuguese clearly aren't white! My friend Julia Faustino is beautiful and brown, with half-kinky hair, she told me how her parents were HUGELY relieved when they got their all-important identity card, identifying them as white. Which they clearly weren't. Julia went on to join the ANC, with impeccable anti-apartheid credentials.

Last edited by New Historian (Jul 07, 2020 11:32 pm)

#8 Jul 08, 2020 12:52 am

houston
Active

Check what ever box you feel comfortable in.
Struck up a conversation with an Asian dude last week at a place where his wife and kids were out for a wake boarding venture.
Had some great conversation. He was from Cambodia and migrated as a refugee with his parents during the late 70's.
Lots of interesting stuff he told me about. I had no idea of what went on there, or why.

#9 Jul 08, 2020 1:33 am

houston
Active

I was surprised to hear that the Cambodians had chosen to migrate to a place called Tillsonburg. Big on tobacco farming back then but those old drying sheds are weather worn know. Today the land specializes in Ginseng farming.
Tillsonburg? My back starts to ache when I hear that word. Although the Cambodian said that his mom would never invite you back if you ever said a negative word about Canada.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v6EiYbRTv4M

#10 Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am

Dancer
Active

IMPROVEMENT

Slice asks ....... WHO AM I ?

Lord  ...... TS  is beginning to widen Slice's understanding.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.  >>>>>>>   """" thank you lord " lol.

Board footer