You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 11, 2020 2:18 pm

New Historian
Active

How come I don't hate white people?

I was never aware there was anything called race, until I moved to England, aged seven. In Trinidad and Grenada we played with everyone: my girlfriend next door was a cute little Portagee, Gracie Fereira. We decided who was “it” by playing eeny-meeny, miney-mo, catch a n*gger by his toe. We didn’t even know what a n*gger was. Well we did, kind of, but we didn’t know it was BAD.

That all changed after we disembarked on Liverpool docks, on 21 August, 1960. All of a sudden I became chocolate-face, wog and nig-nog - hardly the friendliest welcome to the mother country. I remember being perplexed: how many colours are there in coloured?
So did I experience racism in England? Hell yeah:

https://medium.com/@stevenbriansamuel/h … 043c1e0e1a

#2 Jul 11, 2020 6:09 pm

houston
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

You don't hate white people because you are not a racist. You are an intelligent, traveled person that has experienced racism.
Racists live in a cocoon amongst their own with a mentality all of their own.

Thanks for the excellent read, really enjoyed the insight.

#3 Jul 11, 2020 6:37 pm

houston
Active

Just this past Wednesday I was dealing with  a fellow by the name Kan.
It was an extremely hot and humid day and I commented that he must be used to the  heat, being from India I assumed.
No, he was Sri Lanka and began to tell me of his families journey to the northern part of Norway because of the Tamil shyte and his fathers ability to find work there as an engineer.
He did find it strange being the only dark skinned kid and yeah, the weather was cold.

#4 Jul 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Slice
Active

NH that is ah beautiful piece.  I totally enjoyed reading.  A real nice read.  I do hate no one because of their race. I kinda do not understand African-Americans way of thinking.  They got too much going for them and not take full advantage of it.

My friend in Grenada, was an Indian, We all used to call him Cooley.  years after coming to America ah learn that word is is truly offensive.

Honestly ah feel sorry for everyone that preach racism.

Ah wonder when you go publish that book?

#5 Jul 11, 2020 11:00 pm

gripe
Active

Slice, I scratched my head after reading the following statement from you: "I kinda do not understand African-Americans way of thinking. They got too much going for them and not take full advantage of it."

That is a truly amazing and disappointing statement if just taken at surface level especially because you have many times  made it clear that you have lived in the U.S. for many years. Besides, can't you independently research to understand the issues Blacks in America confront? 

The fact that some Blacks in America create problems is not unique. Other races have similar issues, too, caused by some segments of their race. More pointedly, Black Americans are not solely problem makers. Some are problem solvers. There are, in fact, many Black Americans who are extremely productive and others who just simply need the opportunity to excell. Opportunities for Black Americans are not wide spread, Slice, contrary to your claim that "They got too much going for them . . ."

So, Slice, I am hoping that I can recover from the pain you caused me after reading your statement that I quoted.

#6 Jul 12, 2020 8:00 am

Slice
Active

gripe wrote:

Slice, I scratched my head after reading the following statement from you: "I kinda do not understand African-Americans way of thinking. They got too much going for them and not take full advantage of it."

That is a truly amazing and disappointing statement if just taken at surface level especially because you have many times  made it clear that you have lived in the U.S. for many years. Besides, can't you independently research to understand the issues Blacks in America confront? 

The fact that some Blacks in America create problems is not unique. Other races have similar issues, too, caused by some segments of their race. More pointedly, Black Americans are not solely problem makers. Some are problem solvers. There are, in fact, many Black Americans who are extremely productive and others who just simply need the opportunity to excell. Opportunities for Black Americans are not wide spread, Slice, contrary to your claim that "They got too much going for them . . ."

So, Slice, I am hoping that I can recover from the pain you caused me after reading your statement that I quoted.

Facts are very stubborn, but that is my beliefs.  For more  than thirty nines I worked with them. I was a teacher, a mentor and also a loaner, and in each case, it has come back to bite me in me ARSE.  I hope ah din lump them in one basket, maybe ah did, but I agree with you SOME are not, but the majority are. I do not trust ah black American, for shite.

Listen I am saying it out loud, but truth be told, the majority of Caribbean folks think exactly like me.  Do not even mention Grenadians living in Grenada, they are ah million times worst than me.  It is a very harsh statement for me to make, considering my child is a Black American, plus all my nieces and nephews.  I speak truth, and sorry, if that is not the way you see it.  Leh me ask you something, do you have any Black Americans friends?  Not just associates but real friends.

Last edited by Slice (Jul 12, 2020 8:02 am)

#7 Jul 12, 2020 8:09 am

Slice
Active

NH, ah have another question, you do not hate them, is it because you can trace your being  to white folks? I know that is the case with me, that is why ah asking. I cant hate because , I am European, I am Portuguese and I am African.

#8 Jul 12, 2020 10:12 am

Dancer
Active

Slice wrote:

NH, ah have another question, you do not hate them, is it because you can trace your being  to white folks? I know that is the case with me, that is why ah asking. I cant hate because , I am European, I am Portuguese and I am African.

Slice  let me say to you once more.  >>>  You are not European , You are more 'pork chop' and pardon me   , leave  Africa out of it  <<<  lmao.

2nd....  Let me elucidate again ......  the conversation is not about  HATE , we talking racism.   

3rd. I know what you are   ,,,,   an AH.   ...... AND after reading NH post.

" Like Greta the climate advocate.  " How date you " lol

#9 Jul 12, 2020 10:15 am

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

I was never aware there was anything called race, until I moved to England, aged seven. In Trinidad and Grenada we played with everyone: my girlfriend next door was a cute little Portagee, Gracie Fereira. We decided who was “it” by playing eeny-meeny, miney-mo, catch a n*gger by his toe. We didn’t even know what a n*gger was. Well we did, kind of, but we didn’t know it was BAD.

That all changed after we disembarked on Liverpool docks, on 21 August, 1960. All of a sudden I became chocolate-face, wog and nig-nog - hardly the friendliest welcome to the mother country. I remember being perplexed: how many colours are there in coloured?

............. Your post does not sound like a 'tall tale'  LOL.

Cool. Very cool..

#10 Jul 12, 2020 10:15 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

There seems to be some literary flexibility here. Wasn't it a BMW the last time you plied us with the story?

Board footer