You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jul 12, 2020 10:32 am

New Historian
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

I was never aware there was anything called race, until I moved to England, aged seven. In Trinidad and Grenada we played with everyone: my girlfriend next door was a cute little Portagee, Gracie Fereira. We decided who was “it” by playing eeny-meeny, miney-mo, catch a n*gger by his toe. We didn’t even know what a n*gger was. Well we did, kind of, but we didn’t know it was BAD.

That all changed after we disembarked on Liverpool docks, on 21 August, 1960. All of a sudden I became chocolate-face, wog and nig-nog - hardly the friendliest welcome to the mother country. I remember being perplexed: how many colours are there in coloured?
So did I experience racism in England? Hell yeah:


https://medium.com/@stevenbriansamuel/h … 043c1e0e1a



There seems to be some literary flexibility here. Wasn't it a BMW the last time you plied us with the story?

I've never plied you or anyone else those stories, and I've never owned a BMW. It was a dark blue X-reg Escort, would you like to see it? I was looking forward to your views on the meat of the piece, not the brand of car.

Offline

#12 Jul 12, 2020 11:34 am

New Historian
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

Slice wrote:

NH, ah have another question, you do not hate them, is it because you can trace your being  to white folks? I know that is the case with me, that is why ah asking. I cant hate because , I am European, I am Portuguese and I am African.

My white mother wasn't a factor in my upbringing at all, except a negative one. She flew the coop when I was a nipper and I never met her until my brother tracked her down 20 years later. She didn't recognize us.

Offline

#13 Jul 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Slice
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

Dancer wrote:
Slice wrote:

NH, ah have another question, you do not hate them, is it because you can trace your being  to white folks? I know that is the case with me, that is why ah asking. I cant hate because , I am European, I am Portuguese and I am African.



..............
Slice  let me say to you once more.  >>>  You are not European , You are more 'pork chop' and pardon me   , leave  Africa out of it  <<<  lmao.

2nd....  Let me elucidate again ......  the conversation is not about  HATE , we talking racism.   

3rd. I know what you are   ,,,,   an AH.   ...... AND after reading NH post.

" Like Greta the climate advocate.  " How date you " lol

Ah go tap meself on the back, ah know how to bring you back to TS.  Doh let you sleep for too long.

Offline

#14 Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

gripe wrote:

Slice, I scratched my head after reading the following statement from you: "I kinda do not understand African-Americans way of thinking. They got too much going for them and not take full advantage of it."

That is a truly amazing and disappointing statement if just taken at surface level especially because you have many times  made it clear that you have lived in the U.S. for many years. Besides, can't you independently research to understand the issues Blacks in America confront? 

The fact that some Blacks in America create problems is not unique. Other races have similar issues, too, caused by some segments of their race. More pointedly, Black Americans are not solely problem makers. Some are problem solvers. There are, in fact, many Black Americans who are extremely productive and others who just simply need the opportunity to excell. Opportunities for Black Americans are not wide spread, Slice, contrary to your claim that "They got too much going for them . . ."

So, Slice, I am hoping that I can recover from the pain you caused me after reading your statement that I quoted.


Gripe, once again I would like to thank you for your sensitivity toward Afro-Americans. Slice has NEVER being called a boy when he was a man or he never had to escape a lynch mob. Growing up in an all black environment protected him to some degree from that. Slice does not know about Black Wall Street and how the whites ruined it because the blacks were living better than them.  Afro-Americans--at least some of them--are a broken people. Some are wonderful. Slice is rather foolish!

Online

#15 Jul 13, 2020 10:55 am

New Historian
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

Calypso wrote:
gripe wrote:

Slice, I scratched my head after reading the following statement from you: "I kinda do not understand African-Americans way of thinking. They got too much going for them and not take full advantage of it."

That is a truly amazing and disappointing statement if just taken at surface level especially because you have many times  made it clear that you have lived in the U.S. for many years. Besides, can't you independently research to understand the issues Blacks in America confront? 

The fact that some Blacks in America create problems is not unique. Other races have similar issues, too, caused by some segments of their race. More pointedly, Black Americans are not solely problem makers. Some are problem solvers. There are, in fact, many Black Americans who are extremely productive and others who just simply need the opportunity to excell. Opportunities for Black Americans are not wide spread, Slice, contrary to your claim that "They got too much going for them . . ."

So, Slice, I am hoping that I can recover from the pain you caused me after reading your statement that I quoted.


Gripe, once again I would like to thank you for your sensitivity toward Afro-Americans. Slice has NEVER being called a boy when he was a man or he never had to escape a lynch mob. Growing up in an all black environment protected him to some degree from that. Slice does not know about Black Wall Street and how the whites ruined it because the blacks were living better than them.  Afro-Americans--at least some of them--are a broken people. Some are wonderful. Slice is rather foolish!

I see where Slice is coming from, with his antipathy towards black Americans, a lot of them are difficult to take. When I was at uni the black Americans used to call me island boy, jungle bunny, and all I wanted to do was get a green card, right? Wrong, I got outta there at the earliest opportunity. Black Americans abroad don't travel well either: Where's the Mac Donalds???

Offline

#16 Jul 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Slice
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

New Historian wrote:
Slice wrote:

NH, ah have another question, you do not hate them, is it because you can trace your being  to white folks? I know that is the case with me, that is why ah asking. I cant hate because , I am European, I am Portuguese and I am African.

My white mother wasn't a factor in my upbringing at all, except a negative one. She flew the coop when I was a nipper and I never met her until my brother tracked her down 20 years later. She didn't recognize us.

So this the part, that has always bothered the SHITE outa me, One black parent, one white parent, but you black, ah just doh get it.  Yes ah hear they say, if one of your parents is black, you are  black.  For years ah have problems with that kinda thinking.  There got to be ah grey area here.

Offline

#17 Jul 15, 2020 4:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

That's actually not true - at all. Only in white countries does "one part black equals all black" rule apply - in black countries it's the opposite!! In the Caribbean as well as Africa. I'm tired of people calling me white - at least red nuh? LOL the crazy world we live in. Like I put in my "Top Ten Racist Incidents":

10.    No talk of racism can be complete without a bit of reverse racism, and Jamaica is rife with its unique brand of highly complex racial bigotry. I moved to Jamaica from London in 1971, an 18-year old hippy kid with a shaggy head and jumbo flares. On my third day in Kingston, a little urchin on the street calls out:

“Hey white bwoy, gimmie a dollar nuh?” I looked around, and didn’t see any white bwoy.

“Who you talkin’ to?”

“You, white bwoy!”

I was stunned, then had to smile: that darned Scottish blood again! I even gave him the dollar.

https://medium.com/@stevenbriansamuel/h … 043c1e0e1a

Offline

#18 Jul 15, 2020 5:40 pm

Slice
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

But you know, you and Expat have the same complexion.  You more Sunburn.  Now ah know ah dead.

You not black, neither you white, ah doh care what you say.

Offline

#19 Jul 15, 2020 6:46 pm

houston
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

Saw this story today and it gave me some bad memories.
That silly white dude becoming a version of Hellboy will be in some serious pain for at least a week. He will then shed his skin for another week.
He's gonna suffer for that sunny day at the beach.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … -viral/amp

Offline

#20 Jul 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Expat
Active

Re: How come I don't hate white people?

New Historian wrote:
Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

I was never aware there was anything called race, until I moved to England, aged seven. In Trinidad and Grenada we played with everyone: my girlfriend next door was a cute little Portagee, Gracie Fereira. We decided who was “it” by playing eeny-meeny, miney-mo, catch a n*gger by his toe. We didn’t even know what a n*gger was. Well we did, kind of, but we didn’t know it was BAD.

That all changed after we disembarked on Liverpool docks, on 21 August, 1960. All of a sudden I became chocolate-face, wog and nig-nog - hardly the friendliest welcome to the mother country. I remember being perplexed: how many colours are there in coloured?
So did I experience racism in England? Hell yeah:


https://medium.com/@stevenbriansamuel/h … 043c1e0e1a



There seems to be some literary flexibility here. Wasn't it a BMW the last time you plied us with the story?

I've never plied you or anyone else those stories, and I've never owned a BMW. It was a dark blue X-reg Escort, would you like to see it? I was looking forward to your views on the meat of the piece, not the brand of car.


9. When I was leaving Washington DC, to go and live in South Africa, I was buying a new motorcycle to take with me. I called the Yamaha dealer in Virginia, Coleman Powersport, whom I’d dealt with before, and asked to speak to a sales rep. We talked about the price of a Yamaha FJR1300, with extras like panniers and spare parts. I told him I was taking it to Africa.

Last time I read it, I am sure it was a BMW Motorbike?  No?  I preferred it when the salesman had f'd up a bigger sale. Not worried the least about the meat of the piece, I was only showing I tried to pay attention to your pros.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB