You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 13, 2020 11:00 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Mid-Continental Summer

Mid-day on Saturday. Click to enlarge

109124230-1602617996562570-520232341569028770-o.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 13, 2020 11:09 am)

#2 Jul 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Mid-Continental Summer

Beautiful. Midwest?? Are there any black people living in the areas?

#3 Jul 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yes, in cities and towns.  Not so much out in the very rural areas like this.  Hispanics, yes.  Black people, no.  I don't know why.

#4 Jul 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It was looking North from right here.

https://goo.gl/maps/mBJxVVURjEq2szNd8

#5 Jul 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Yes, in cities and towns.  Not so much out in the very rural areas like this.  Hispanics, yes.  Black people, no.  I don't know why.

Would they be welcomed if they try to build a life there?

#6 Jul 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If they wanted to work in agriculture they would.  There isn't much else to do out there.

#7 Jul 13, 2020 6:09 pm

Expat
Active

Pedal to the metal country. Any smokies around that neck of the woods, or rather plains.

#8 Jul 14, 2020 8:49 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There are very, very few police on a road like that.  I almost never see them.  They stay on the major roads.

#9 Jul 14, 2020 9:55 am

New Historian
Active

When you drive from Johannesburg to Cape Town, it's two long days of hot dusty driving through the Karoo Desert. Did it once on a bike, cruising at 150mph on my Yam FJR1300, steady as a rock, but hotttt. Never again. Another trip, a posse of family and friends in two overloaded 4WDs, one of which broke down, in a tiny "dorp" called Victoria West - straight out of Deliverance! OMG all these inbred Afrikaners, half of them called Bester, and with eyes slightly too close together! This was Christmas Eve and had to stay the night, at Bester's Lodge, and had dinner, at Bester's Restaurant, then a few drinks, at Bester's Bar! The local girls were making eyes at the boys in our posse, you could almost read their pleading: take me away from here, pleeeeeease!! We were seriously worried we'd be stuck there for Christmas, but thank god the managed to fix the alternator - at Bester's garage!

We still laugh about "Escape from Victoria West".

Board footer