You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 13, 2020 8:44 pm

gripe
Active

"Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

Two stories that I saw today provide vastly different lifestyles (and circumstances) at least in terms of the amenities available to the two individuals.

THE INDIVIDUALS:

The first individual is known as "Hushpuppi", last name Abbas. Here he is:

Hushpuppi.jpg

Regarding "Hushpuppi":

"His most recent Instagram post included a picture of a Rolls-Royce with the caption: “[T]hank you lord for the many blessings in my life” followed by some praying-hands emojis and “continue to shame those waiting for me to be shamed.”

Well, those waiting to shame Ramon Abbas need not wait any longer. Abbas, who goes by “Hushpuppi,” has long flaunted his wealth to his 2.5 million Instagram followers. Helicopters, Gucci, Fendi and fancy cars — it’s all part of his social-media persona.

Apparently, this kind of stuff resonates".

But, "Hushpuppi" is now facing a rude reality because he has been arrested and "Investigators reportedly seized during its arrest of Abbas and 11 others some $41 million along with 13 luxury cars worth almost $7 million. The investigation reportedly uncovered the email addresses of nearly 2 million possible victims."

SOURCE: Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/compa … r-BB16GVkl

The other individual is Ms. Carlean Hanson, the Jamaican mother of five who is having a very, very, rough life living in a 20-foot container with one of her five children (the other children live with other people). Here is Ms. Hanson:

Jamaican-Container-Home.jpg

Ms. Hanson describes her very challenging life as follows:

“When mi hear that mi walk look piece a land, because mi have five kids and dem not living anywhere and dem need somewhere to live. We was stopping with somebody long time and the person said it cannot work anymore… So right now mi have one living with mi inside there and the rest living with other people for the time being,” said the woman, who was seated on an old tyre while hovering over laundry.

“Right now we need a piece of land. We nuh deh pon nothing. We need somewhere to live. We need a piece a land and a house and some food. So that’s what mi trying to look about. It kind of [hassling] because people from all ’bout coming to tell us we cannot live here and it don’t look good, but nobody is helping,” she added.

SOURCE: https://www.stabroeknews.com/2020/07/13 … -for-help/

LIFE LESSON?

Mr. Abbas' and Ms. Hanson's lives provide sharp contrasts. Yet, there is one similarity: the number 20! While Ms. Hanson may be forced to live in a 20-foot container with all its trials, Mr. Abbas, at his trial, faces 20 years if convicted.

Life paths can be so contrasting. Thankfully there are positive lessons to be learned from both Mr. Abbas and Ms. Hanson.

Offline

#2 Jul 14, 2020 1:59 am

Calypso
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

I hate to see two things: the vulgar rich and people who live in abject poverty. I do not like rich people who flaunt their wealth and are rough and coarse like steel wool. They think they are above the law and look down at others. Hushpuppy should have not lived so large and flaunt his shady business. Nigerians are great con artists. Carlean in Jamaica should have used her birth control. Where is the father or fathers? You could be poor but have self-respect. you should protect your reproductive organ because men cannot get pregnant.  Gripe, I do not feel sorry for either.

Offline

#3 Jul 14, 2020 10:51 am

gripe
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

Your response is quite understandable, Calypso.

Possibly, a majority of people may grant a little more sympathy to Ms. Hanson than to Mr. Abbas/Hushpuppi because of his alleged years-long flaunting excesses and the numerous victims that he allegedly exploited without any apparent acceptance that he was wrong in so doing. Ms. Hanson, however, while not blameless for her situation, could be seen as a victim because of the treatment she received from one of her children's father (or by the death of the other father).

Life lessons abound in even a surface level assessment of the circumstances of Mr. Abbas/Hushpuppi and Ms. Hanson.

Last edited by gripe (Jul 14, 2020 11:02 am)

Offline

#4 Jul 14, 2020 10:58 am

New Historian
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

"Gripe, I do not feel sorry for either."

Nice to see the milk of human kindness flowing through that Jamaican heart of yours. A fairly typical reaction, it has to be said.

Offline

#5 Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am

Calypso
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

gripe wrote:

Your response is quite understandable, Calypso.

Possibly, a majority of people may grant a little more sympathy to Ms. Hanson than to Mr. Abbas/Hushpuppi because of his alleged years-long flaunting excesses and the numerous victims that he allegedly exploited without any apparent acceptance that he was wrong in so doing. Ms. Hanson, however, while not blameless for her situation, could be seen as a victim because of the treatment she received from one of her children's father (or by the death of the other father).

Life lessons abound in even a surface level assessment of the circumstances of Mr. Abbas/Hushpuppi and Ms. Hanson.

The lady has 5 children not one. Having one merits my sympathy. you are allowed to make one mistake but not sleeping with 5 men who are obvious swines!!!

Offline

#6 Jul 14, 2020 11:45 am

gripe
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

Calypso, from the article about Ms. Hanson there are only two fathers mentioned, not five. The article also said that one father died so, without more, I cannot chastise him. It is the other father that has some questions to answer having left Ms. Hanson with his kids. Still, your point is noted that Ms. Hanson has culpability in her circumstances. But, comparing her to Hushpuppi, I believe that Ms. Hanson is the more sympathetic figure.

Offline

#7 Jul 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

gripe wrote:

Calypso, from the article about Ms. Hanson there are only two fathers mentioned, not five. The article also said that one father died so, without more, I cannot chastise him. It is the other father that has some questions to answer having left Ms. Hanson with his kids. Still, your point is noted that Ms. Hanson has culpability in her circumstances. But, comparing her to Hushpuppi, I believe that Ms. Hanson is the more sympathetic figure.



If I am poor, I couldn't have 5 children. it takes a specific mentality to have them.

Offline

#8 Jul 14, 2020 12:18 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

Calypso wrote:
gripe wrote:

Calypso, from the article about Ms. Hanson there are only two fathers mentioned, not five. The article also said that one father died so, without more, I cannot chastise him. It is the other father that has some questions to answer having left Ms. Hanson with his kids. Still, your point is noted that Ms. Hanson has culpability in her circumstances. But, comparing her to Hushpuppi, I believe that Ms. Hanson is the more sympathetic figure.



If I am poor, I couldn't have 5 children. it takes a specific mentality to have them.

You're poor? Oh please. You aren't poor but you are perfect, and you have no pity nor sympathy at those you perceive to be beneath you. Heartless.

Offline

#9 Jul 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Expat
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

I think it is perfectly acceptable to sympathies with someone being in a state of distress due to their circumstances, while at the same time holding them to account for putting themselves in that position by their own lack of thought and poor actions.

It is one thing to be a one parent family with 5 kids where one of the parents dies and leaves the family unsupported. Sheite happens.

It is another to make a child per man as a way of trying to hold on to the latest walking wallet.

Offline

#10 Jul 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: "Hushpuppi" or Jamaican Living In Container: Which Lifestyle?

New Historian wrote:
Calypso wrote:
gripe wrote:

Calypso, from the article about Ms. Hanson there are only two fathers mentioned, not five. The article also said that one father died so, without more, I cannot chastise him. It is the other father that has some questions to answer having left Ms. Hanson with his kids. Still, your point is noted that Ms. Hanson has culpability in her circumstances. But, comparing her to Hushpuppi, I believe that Ms. Hanson is the more sympathetic figure.



If I am poor, I couldn't have 5 children. it takes a specific mentality to have them.

You're poor? Oh please. You aren't poor but you are perfect, and you have no pity nor sympathy at those you perceive to be beneath you. Heartless.

You are missing the point. She went on to have 5 children with no money??? I am not heartless:I worked with a parent this year and she has several children. She does not take care of them. The student , her son, whom I worked with this year had great potential but she did not support him. She has several children and was pregnant again and lives in a shelter. I am not heartless. Birth control is available in Jamaica. Demand that your man uses a condom or close your blasted legs!!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB