You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 17, 2020 3:24 pm

Expat
Active

End of the 747

Well for BA at least. They are retiring their 30 747s effective immediately. Which is 3 years earlier than planned.

#2 Jul 18, 2020 10:02 am

New Historian
Active

Re: End of the 747

I'm afraid it's the end of the line for the old stalwart Jumbo - sniff-sniff. Jumbo and me spent many hundred hours together, I'll miss the fat old girl! Did I tell you about the time a 747 turned back to Heathrow, to pick me up?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 … %2C%202020.

#3 Jul 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

I'm afraid it's the end of the line for the old stalwart Jumbo - sniff-sniff. Jumbo and me spent many hundred hours together, I'll miss the fat old girl! Did I tell you about the time a 747 turned back to Heathrow, to pick me up?

Probably... smile

But I don't recall.  Slide the text past my parser and I'll let you know.

#4 Jul 18, 2020 3:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Probably... smile

Oh gord, ah fraid...

#5 Jul 18, 2020 5:32 pm

houston
Active

The 747 Jumbo was the king of sky travel for decades. Designed for passenger comfort when that used to mater.
Here is another aviation story, the mystery of the missing Avro Arrow. Another aircraft that hit the junk pile due to politics and spending.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 … -a-country

#6 Jul 18, 2020 7:48 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:
Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Probably... smile

Oh gord, ah fraid...

You might get away with it, every day that passes I forget more and more, so you might be in luck....

For sure I have seen a few films recently that it took the whole movie before the bell, rang... But then we do see a lot of movies, and with so few stories in the World they all run into each other anyway.

#7 Jul 18, 2020 8:22 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:
Expat wrote:

Probably... smile

Oh gord, ah fraid...

You might get away with it, every day that passes I forget more and more, so you might be in luck....

For sure I have seen a few films recently that it took the whole movie before the bell, rang... But then we do see a lot of movies, and with so few stories in the World they all run into each other anyway.

Okay, as you beggin':

I was flying from Washington to Johannesburg via London, landing at Heathrow in the morning and flying out that evening. My brother Tom picked me up on his motorbike and we rode to his local pub in Peckham, The Brewers (“the pub where you can get anything, or anyone!”). The England football team was playing a crucial World Cup qualifier against Greece, and the pub was crowded with festive fans. I decided to postpone my flight to Johannesburg.
There were two BA flights to Jo’burg per day, I was booked on the early flight, and wanted to change to the later flight. I called the BA Gold Card service number and made the change on the phone. Not content with that I called the BA baggage department at Heathrow and spoke with a guy called Bill. I told him I had changed my booking, and could he please make sure my luggage was also re-routed to the later Johannesburg flight.
“No worries mate, sorted.” Said Bill.
Great, now I can enjoy the match - and what a match it was! Beckham’s brilliant injury time free kick sealed England’s place in the World Cup. The pub went wild, a memorable moment. Tom and I then jumped on the bike and sped to Heathrow to catch my flight. I was in good time, but the check-in clerk scrutinized her screen, and made a face. Uh-oh.
“Sir, according to the computer, you were not booked on the first flight, which has already left, and the second flight is overbooked. You’re not flying to Johannesburg tonight. Sir.”
I opened my mouth but before I could begin my rant, she looked at the screen again, and held up her hand.
“Ah, it seems you can make the first flight after all.”
“But I thought it had already left?”
“It has, but it’s coming back.”
“What! Why?”
She peered even closer at her screen, reading something that was just coming up.
“Apparently, the plane is coming back to get you, sir!”
I was gobsmacked.
“Are you seriously telling me, BA is turning around a fully laden 747, just for me?” The BA woman was now fully engrossed in her computer screen.
“Not quite sir; it seems the flight is coming back to Heathrow … to unload your suitcase!”
The penny dropped; despite the reassurances from Bill the luggage man, BA had loaded my suitcase onto the earlier Johannesburg flight, and it was not until after the flight took off that they spotted the error. Under stringent security protocols since 9/11, the pilot had no alternative than to return to Heathrow to offload the extra suitcase. I felt bad that they had turned a whole his plane around on account of me, but hastened to tell the clerk: it wasn’t my fault! I called the Gold Card hotline, I changed my booking – I even spoke to Bill! To no avail; she gave me her best BA frump.
It got worse; she said the plane was fully laden with fuel and could not land with full tanks, so it was circling over the English Channel, while it dumped fuel. I asked: how much fuel are they dumping? Oh about 30,000 gallons! Holy Shit! Where does all this aviation fuel go? Nowhere, I was assured, it’s just a drop in the ocean, literally. By the time the plane dumped the fuel and returned to Heathrow, an hour had passed, and the crew were rapidly approaching their maximum flying limit. If they didn’t get me onto that plane soon, they’d have to offload the entire planeload of pissed-off passengers, and put them up in a hotel until a replacement crew could be brought in. So they put me in an airport car, turned on the siren and took me on a fast and furious ride, through the soft underbelly of Heathrow Airport – great stuff! The 747 was parked at the end of a runway and we screeched to a stop directly underneath the aircraft, giving me a full appreciation of how big a jumbo jet really is! They put a ramp up to the door and I ran on board.
A planeload of angry stares turned my way. To exonerate themselves, the pilot had told the passengers, that this return to Heathrow was all the fault of some idiot passenger (me) who’d screwed up his luggage. Maybe because of that I found that, I had been upgraded, to first class, sweet. They probably thought it best to keep me out of reach!
But it really wasn’t my fault; was it?

#8 Jul 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Expat
Active

Hang drawing and quartering wouldn't be good enough. Simply mentioning the BA Gold card put my back up.

Having been 4 hours out, and then returned to Gatwick for an overnight hotel stay I know how pissed they were.

First class wouldn't have been safe, you would have needed the jump seat.... smile

#9 Jul 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Vanni
Active

My best memory in a plane, the 747 ... but in the meantime, there are other giants even bigger. And ultimately, I am sensing a quantum leap in travel technology. It won't be only about space and speed alone. Let's see.

#10 Jul 19, 2020 5:11 pm

houston
Active

That scares me Vanni.
Please, let's just return to the good ole days!

Board footer