You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 26, 2020 10:48 am

Expat
Active

Maybe the 2nd worst night of my life

Started with what I thought was a spasmed muscle on the right side of my back just below the ribs, with pain wrapping round to my belly.

I trotted off to bed, but could not find any position to get relief, and then I started to feel sick.

It intensified to the point I had to support myself by holding onto my thighs to walk across the room.

Slumped down next to the toilet waiting for the inevitable, which came and went, leaving me in just as much pain with no interest on moving, so I just laid down on the shower mat, groaning, shaking, and hyperventilating.

Finally the cavalry arrived with a hot water bottle to place on the area, and after a while I moved to them mat next to the bed., then the bed, then back to the toilet. Then back to the bed. A cup of tea was brought, after a small delay it was back to the toilet.

All the while this is going on, I am realising it is not a muscle spasm, with a spot of vomiting thrown in by coincidence. The penny drops that it is internal, and by the location probably my right kidney that is giving me hell. So no anxiety there then.... yeah, right.

Anyhoos after that tea vomit the pain slowly subsided so I drifted off to sleep, and when I woke up, all better..... phew.

I did get a nearly 2 degree fahrenhiet temp rise, and my BP went up to 155/90 - 80

This morning temp OK, and BP back to normal 120/75 -65.

All this at a time when you are saying do I get an ambulance, HOW to I get an ambulance, as I think the parish locum has to sign you off before you get one, and just turning up at casualty isn't likely top go well.

To put this into context, I don't normally make a fuss about pain, and the previous worse experience was when I had 2 slipped discs, and because I thought the pain killers weren't working I didn't take any before going to bed, only to wake up a couple of hours later with it feeling like the top of my head was going to blow off. That was a 10, this pain was around 81/2 to 9. It was pretty intense.

Oh a little extra, it was a can of Tuna that was my enemy. When I checked it this morning, it says best before 2025, so well within limits. Interesting though, it was canned in 2001.

I guess the question is, what was going on to make that kidney be so painful.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 26, 2020 10:49 am)

#2 Jul 26, 2020 11:16 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Maybe the 2nd worst night of my life

I can of tuna could give you such a belly ache? how do you know. I have never gotten poisoned by a can of tuna fish. What else did you eat?

#3 Jul 26, 2020 11:45 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Damn.  Sorry to hear that.  Hope you feel back to normal.

#4 Jul 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Damn.  Sorry to hear that.  Hope you feel back to normal.

Yes thanks, since waking up this morning I feel fine. But you could imagine the anxiety, as I put it together. Maybe its the dreaded C word, no not cancer...  As blood clots in various organs are a possibility. Who might I have come into contact with. Etc.  Anyhoos panic over for now. Although having had that degree of pain from an already damaged organ is a tad worrying.

#5 Jul 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

I can of tuna could give you such a belly ache? how do you know. I have never gotten poisoned by a can of tuna fish. What else did you eat?

Tuna cooked up with onions, and seasoning peppers, and what ever wifey put in it along with parsnip and sweet potato.

If we have to be gross the entire tin came up, in combination with sundry vegetables, and I reached down to points below the stomach. I almost felt my rectum being drawn up, so yes, a tin of Tuna.

#6 Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm

WH Man
Active

Expat wrote:

Started with what I thought was a spasmed muscle on the right side of my back just below the ribs, with pain wrapping round to my belly.

Oh a little extra, it was a can of Tuna that was my enemy. When I checked it this morning, it says best before 2025, so well within limits. Interesting though, it was canned in 2001.

I guess the question is, what was going on to make that kidney be so painful.

Sorry about your discomfort, I hope you get relief soon....Try taking a dose of Pepto-Bismol, it contains a very effective antidiarrheal. Incidentally, vomiting and diarrhea are also symptoms of COVID. Hopefully that's not your case.

You mentioned it was canned in 2001, and good until 2025. Where was it canned, Thailand, Asia, the US..?? Not all canneries operate by the same standards. Quite frankly, I don't recall knowing of any canned meat/fish  having a shelf life of 24 years. That's a very, very, long shelf life !!!1

Last edited by WH Man (Jul 26, 2020 1:38 pm)

#7 Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Expat
Active

Thanks, all good from waking this morning onward.

Brunswick the Brand, and Thailand the point of origin. No problems down below, my body figured up and attem... smile

I have a second tin, which I think I may give a pass to.

Yes, those symptoms did have me on edge, but from our vantage point of 25th May since the last import of the Virus into State quarantine, I figured it was probably unlikely. Although while it is going on all kinds of stuff goes through your head.

I have had food poisoning before, and I wouldn't have bothered to comment had it just been a gippy tummy, but the pain was something else on this occasion.

#8 Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm

houston
Active

Sounds like a night of Hell, glad you are feeling better. Best to get that checked out while under better circumstances, Dr. Expat.
A 24 year best before date does seem a bit unusual, though some canned goods can last indefinitely if stored in the right conditions.
Keep in mind that there is always the possibility that the food being processed at the cannery plant could be bad even before it goes into the can.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/blog.cheapi … e-eat/amp/

#9 Jul 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Expat
Active

A vessel went down on the way to a mining village with canned food in 1885, and the canned contents were checked by scientists in 1978, and they had negligible calorific loss, and no bacteria......

I suspect back in 2001 they did not have such excellent safety scanning techniques.

I have watched several food factory programs, and nowadays they have really top level checks for product security.

Plus who is to know if the box it was in was overloaded and broke the seal?  If it was straight from the can I might have noticed it wasn't right, but after cooking it wasn't obvious as to what it was like.

#10 Jul 26, 2020 5:14 pm

houston
Active

Next question. Did anyone else eat from the same can of suspect and did they experience any symptoms of food poisoning?

Board footer