You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 27, 2020 11:38 am

Real Distwalker
Active

How bad is it?

Sitting here in the middle of the country with the worst spread of Covid-19 and the worst control of it, I am starting to get first hand information from people who have had it.  I now know at least a dozen.  All of them were tested because they had some kind of symptoms.

All of them are mild.

One woman didn't know she was sick but got a temperature check before going in the hospital where she works.  She had a very mild fever.  She got a test and was positive.  She had a little bit of sore muscles but wouldn't have thought anything of it in normal years.  The fever lasted about one day.  She is quarantining now.  She is 28.

My sister-in-law has it.  She says it is like a cold.  Cough and headache but nothing that would seem out of the ordinary. She is 48.

One of my son's 15 year old friends had it.  He had a bad cough for about ten days.  It sucked but he still played video games all week.

His mother got it.  Slight cough.  She is about 40.

A friend of my wife got it.  Made her tired and achy for about five days.  She is in her 50s.

Two guys from one of my client companies had it.  They just worked from home right through it.  Both in their 50s.

My 28 year old daughter - who has been staying with us since the first of February - and I lost our sense of taste and smell for 10 days in about the first week of April.  We couldn't get a test then but that was very strange.  She is convinced we both had it.

I know these are just anecdotes and don't tell the whole story but I have yet to hear anyone who has had it really bad.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 27, 2020 11:43 am)

#2 Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Slice
Active

Re: How bad is it?

Something about Iowa, me wife cousin in Iowa ah practicing doctor have it. She is asymptotic. Got a test six days ago awaiting on the results.  Mind you it was the instant test.

Now they say some folks are immune to the disease.  I agree with you daughter.  Now you might be good, no need to worry about this deadly disease.

#3 Jul 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Expat
Active

A large number ARE immune because elements of the virus are similar enough to previous viruses that the famous 'T' cells kick in, which is why it will not take too many more to reach herd immunity.

Something like 80% of people will either have no symptoms or mild symptoms, although there are some tales about returning with increased symptoms.

Lets face it we are living in a media driven world. The numbers are large, but in the scale of what happened before the percentages are still small.

America

1918) 560,000 DEAD not infected
2020) 147,000 DEAD so far

World wide although its climbing

1918) 50,000,000 plus DEAD
2020)      651,000 DEAD

As RD said close to the beginning, if I am not misquoting him.... This is not much worse than the common flue.

My own input, if we were just less cavalier about it, and they had figured out treatments quicker only the very vulnerable like me would have been killed. Yes, I have been branded vulnerable by my UK health providers, they even tried to track me down to arrange food and medicine deliveries.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 27, 2020 8:02 pm)

#4 Jul 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Sitting here in the middle of the country with the worst spread of Covid-19 and the worst control of it, I am starting to get first hand information from people who have had it.  I now know at least a dozen.  All of them were tested because they had some kind of symptoms.

All of them are mild.

One woman didn't know she was sick but got a temperature check before going in the hospital where she works.  She had a very mild fever.  She got a test and was positive.  She had a little bit of sore muscles but wouldn't have thought anything of it in normal years.  The fever lasted about one day.  She is quarantining now.  She is 28.

My sister-in-law has it.  She says it is like a cold.  Cough and headache but nothing that would seem out of the ordinary. She is 48.

One of my son's 15 year old friends had it.  He had a bad cough for about ten days.  It sucked but he still played video games all week.

His mother got it.  Slight cough.  She is about 40.

A friend of my wife got it.  Made her tired and achy for about five days.  She is in her 50s.

Two guys from one of my client companies had it.  They just worked from home right through it.  Both in their 50s.

My 28 year old daughter - who has been staying with us since the first of February - and I lost our sense of taste and smell for 10 days in about the first week of April.  We couldn't get a test then but that was very strange.  She is convinced we both had it.

I know these are just anecdotes and don't tell the whole story but I have yet to hear anyone who has had it really bad.

Yep ,My Granddaughter and her child in New York had it, and she is vulnerable, but nothing serious.

#5 Jul 27, 2020 8:14 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is worse than the flu.  I believe that.  I am being very careful.  I am not playing around.

There was no agenda in my post.  I am not trying to convince anyone that this isn't serious.  I believe it is serious.

My original post had one purpose: To relay what I am seeing in my neck of the woods.

#6 Jul 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Expat
Active

The condition, although both can ultimately kill you yes Covid is a nasty piece of work, but considering how so many people have gone out of their way to get it, the infection rate is not that different I thought.

#7 Jul 28, 2020 7:48 am

Slice
Active

Well ah stop worrying about you.  ah see you still posting, so ah take it all is well with you.

Board footer