You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Since I had the Telescope out for Neowise...

...I decided to aim it at a few other things.  First is the moon.

20200724-211150.jpg

Next was Jupiter and its four Galilean moons.  I had to over expose Jupiter to see the moons.  Lower left to upper right the moons are Callisto, Io, Ganymede and Europa.

20200724-212553.jpg

Next is Saturn and its famous rings.

20200724-213328.jpg

Finally, is my last photo of Neowise.

RGS12887a.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 28, 2020 2:23 pm)

#2 Jul 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Since I had the Telescope out for Neowise...

What was that, the Celestron 22203 AstroFi 130 Wireless Reflecting Telescope?

I used a 400mm telephoto with a 2x multiplier, tripod mounted and it was hard enough to get the moon, which annoyingly will not stand still. By the time you have pre-framed it to pass through the centre of the lens the clouds come over, or you knock the tripod and have to start again...  sad

Just a thought, sometimes it is better to under expose, and then via RAW in photoshop ratchet up the exposure maybe even process using layers,which could mean exposing planet at a different rate to the moons so you get the correct brightness without the movement. Or, slightly over-expose the planet so you can still recover it, and not work so hard at lifting the planets.

Pretty kewl though, them planets are pretty damn far away. Just a dot in the sky to the naked eye. Not something I will be able to do any time soon, as in never... smile

Last edited by Expat (Jul 28, 2020 3:05 pm)

#3 Jul 28, 2020 3:29 pm

houston
Active

Once again, extremely awesome photos.
Looks to be quite a bit of Meteor shower activity happening for the remainder of this week but the cloud are also rolling in.
Would be glad to see any shots that you are able to capture.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/tag/ontario/

#4 Jul 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Celestron Nextstar 102GT.  It has a motor to match the telescope to the earth's rotation so that the object doesn't race across your view.

Everything looks better through the eyepiece than it does on my photos.  Getting a good shot is brutally difficult for various reasons.

I do under expose as well.  Here is Jupiter with much less exposure.  You can just barely make out a hint of the stripes.  The stripes were obvious to my eye, however.

Obviously at this exposure the moons are invisible.

116295137-1614559315368438-7213649862051402864-n.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 28, 2020 4:02 pm)

#5 Jul 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

A low ISO is less grainy but requires long exposure.  It also requires absolutely zero scope vibration.  There was enough of a breeze that was impossible.

A high ISO allows for a faster shutter speed and short exposure, but results in much grainier photos.  That was the only success I had, thus the graininess.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jul 28, 2020 4:04 pm)

#6 Jul 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Expat
Active

Yep, on my first visit to Grenada I had my spy grade ASA 16 slide film in 35mm. From my ignorance of bright weather I thought the Tropical Sun would have made photo's easy, but nope, it was way too dull most of the time.

Maybe a trip to the camera shop or online suppliers for a very low F stop rated lens like an f1.2?  Makes life much easier than the generic 3.5 to what ever telephoto's that usually come with the cameras.

Board footer