You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Aug 22, 2020 7:12 pm

New Historian
Active

Dogs: every biker's worst enemy

My first dog-caused crash was in Nassau. I’d just cleaned my brother Tom’s Honda 360 and thought I’d take it for a spin around the block to dry it off. All I was wearing was shorts and flip-flops: mistake. As I turned a corner this fekkin dog chased me and bit my right foot, and as I was trying to shake the rabid beast off … badang! Good thing he didn’t come after me, when me and bike fell in a tangled heap, I guess he felt he’d done enough damage for one day. Tom was off the island for a few days, and I was flying back to Jamaica later that same day, so I left the bike in the garage with a note on it: Sorry Bro! Damage to me: You ever fly on a plane minus several square inches of skin? Not nice. Damage to Bike: Mirror and indicator. Damage to ego: Considerable.

Next dog was in Kingston, on my Honda Interceptor 750: Tom and I were riding to my friend Karens’ house on Middleton Avenue, him just ahead of me. Yet another fekkin crazy dog charges out of a driveway, and wedged himself underneath my front wheel. Ba-dang! Me, bike and dog all hit the road in a heap, then the dog scampered through an open gate. As I struggled to my feet, I saw a man leaning against the gate through which the dog had just darted. “Look what your fekkin dog just did to me!” I shouted indignantly. He looked at me, puzzled. “Is not my dawg sah. I never see dat dog in me life!” He smiled benignly, “I think you need a drink, wait there.” He went inside and returned with three shots of brandy. It helped. Tom chuckled, bastard. Damage to me: Knee and elbow. Bike: Mirror and indicator.

And I bet it was his fekkin dawg!

Last edited by New Historian (Aug 22, 2020 7:58 pm)

#2 Aug 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Dogs: every biker's worst enemy

Been off a few times, as happens, slow speed new gravel over manhole after corner, and more interesting, but too long to ramble about being pushed along sideways on the front of a BMW... too long a tale. Those in Blighty, but in Trinidad we have the throttle cable jumps and jams open scenario where one is in between gears, and now you cant stop the engine from revving, and excitement overcomes intelligence, as the prospect of a piston severing ones gonads flashes across what little brain one has... so it wont turn turn off cos the pug is white hot, and the rev counter is off the scale. So cleverly I pull the pluggggggggggg  owwwww that HT gives you a jolt, and it still doesn't stop, because of the white hot plug.... turn off gas and pray.  Finally the bloody thing stops.

OK, new Harley, just getting used to it, pull up at junction, go to put down foot, and the camber of the road is steep, slow and uncomfortable few second as being out of position I can do nothing about it, nearly 600lbs of bike goes ever more quickly to the ground. More damage to ego than bike, I certainly felt a prat.

#3 Aug 22, 2020 11:33 pm

New Historian
Active

RD did you ever ride a bike? Can sorta see you on a Hog, somehow.

#4 Aug 23, 2020 7:45 am

Slice
Active

Test cant get on.

#5 Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am

Slice
Active

So it seems Edge is not letting me, but Google is.

My neighbor directly across from me is bike crazy.  That man had about ten of these things.  Once I had loved these things.  One day I ask him to take me to get my car from the dealer, it was after that I decided, not me and bikes.  I just was not feeling safe on the damn thing with no prtection.

Kinda funny,  Me PADNAH use to ride up to Vola pasture with his Scrambler to give me practice and how to ride, and I thoght they were real KEWL.  WOW! the sound system on that bike is incredibable.  You can hear him coming from ah mile away, when his system is on.

Is to tell you how ah hate these things now, he offered to give me one for free, and I very politely said, thanks but please no thanks.

Americans can not drive, so no bike for me.

#6 Aug 23, 2020 11:04 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

No, I decided an encounter with a dog - or more likely a deer around here - would be too painful for me at this point in my life.

Last summer I was coming back from Des Moines and, as I came over a hill, I noticed a some dust drifting over the road.  As I got closer I saw a red Harley on the gravel shoulder and a bald headed man laying with his face in the rock.  His head was shaved and it was already white as snow.  It should have been tan from the sun.

As I pulled over I started to try to recall my Army first aid training but a car stopped behind me and a woman got out and shouted to me that she was a paramedic and that I should direct traffic to slow down.  She immediately started work on the man as others ran up to help.

I stood there directing traffic until a deputy sheriff showed up and relieved me.  I never saw the man move.

I don't know why he dumped his bike.  Maybe a deer ran out?  Maybe he had a medical event that caused him to wreck?  I never learned the rest of the story or if he lived.

It was at that moment I realized that I shouldn't be a beginner motorcyclist in my mid fifties.

#7 Aug 23, 2020 11:07 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I have this 1969 Impala.  It kind of supports the same cruising around feeling for me.

cid-D057-AFD725-F542-B4-A8-F27-D1-C2461-AA0-E-Rob-PC.png

drive.jpg

#8 Aug 23, 2020 11:22 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
New Historian wrote:

No, I decided an encounter with a dog - or more likely a deer around here - would be too painful for me at this point in my life.

Last summer I was coming back from Des Moines and, as I came over a hill, I noticed a some dust drifting over the road.  As I got closer I saw a red Harley on the gravel shoulder and a bald headed man laying with his face in the rock.  His head was shaved and it was already white as snow.  It should have been tan from the sun.

As I pulled over I started to try to recall my Army first aid training but a car stopped behind me and a woman got out and shouted to me that she was a paramedic and that I should direct traffic to slow down.  She immediately started work on the man as others ran up to help.

I stood there directing traffic until a deputy sheriff showed up and relieved me.  I never saw the man move.

I don't know why he dumped his bike.  Maybe a deer ran out?  Maybe he had a medical event that caused him to wreck?  I never learned the rest of the story or if he lived.

It was at that moment I realized that I shouldn't be a beginner motorcyclist in my mid fifties.

Sad story - but good lesson. I always stress, to people who say they want to get a bike: there are two Golden Rules of Biking:

1: Sooner or later, and if you're a learner probably sooner than later, you WILL crash; and

2: When you crash, it WILL hurt!

My friend David in JA didn't hear me; he went and bought as his first bike a Honda Interceptor 750 - a lot of bike for a novice. One month later he lost an argument with a truck, and ended up seriously hurt. Fortunately he made a full recovery, and I bought the damaged bike off him for a song. Took forever to fix it, but that's another story.

RD your story reminds me of a sad song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y4AauEMG6o

#9 Aug 23, 2020 11:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

That song is similar but two differences:  This was a sunny afternoon and the dude was at least my age.

Just for story context, it happened right here.

https://goo.gl/maps/m6onqLcURoT96sKD9

#10 Aug 23, 2020 12:15 pm

New Historian
Active

My brother came riding upon an accident scene in London, a guy had walked out from behind a bus without looking, and bam, the biker hits him. As usual, the biker was almost as badly injured as the pedestrian, and Tom stopped to see if he could give any assistance: one biker to another. The bike was lying on its side, leaking oil and petrol onto the road, never a good thing, and the biker said, do us a favour mate, lift it up will ya? Tom lifted up the bike and put it on its side stand, when Mrs. Old Busybody shrieks: Oi! You can't touch that, that's evidence that is! Tom's response was unprintable.

Board footer