You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Aug 28, 2020 9:58 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Iowa has the second worst transmission rate in the US right now

We are second only to South Dakota.  I know more and more people who have had it.  None have had worse than minor symptoms.  I gotta tell you, I am less fearful of this plague all the time.

#2 Aug 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Iowa has the second worst transmission rate in the US right now

Thats it, if you get it moserately to bad, then its bad.

Generally speaking most HEALTHY people will just have a miserable couple of days.

Fat, Heart diseased, Diabetic, auto immune suppressed, and OLD people like me are at greater risk.

Keep us buggers in, and let everyone else get on with living.

Everyone seems to be concentrating on the numbers, but a) most of those figures are fubar, and b) regardless the percentages are still tiny as a ratio of the population as a whole.

They are going to scream and shout about thousands of college kids being infected.... so what.... so long as they don't go round to Grammy and kill her it's all good.

Last edited by Expat (Aug 28, 2020 5:07 pm)

#3 Aug 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Nobody wants to get sick.  I don't want even "a couple of miserable days".   That said, living in what is right now arguably the global hot spot doesn't seem that bad at all.  Every day I find out somebody else has had it and it seems to be the same story over and over:

"I had a fever for about 36 hours and a slight cough.  I feel fine now but I have to quarantine for another 10 days.  I am just working from home."

Seriously, I am not trying to play this thing down.  I am simply reporting what I am experiencing.  I was pretty anxious in April and super careful.  I am not reckless now but I sure ain't scared.  I still am trying not to get it but, the reality is, my 15 year old son goes back to school next week.  This will be the first time since this shitstorm started.  If I am going to get it, that is how.

What can you do?  I can't keep him home anymore.

#4 Aug 30, 2020 9:37 am

Expat
Active

All we seem to hear at the moment is the escallating cases from schools etc. But are those cases converting into deaths....

I have taken a step back from the news, and even the John Hopkins and similar stuff. Partly as the figures are so distorted by new reporting methods, double counting, and generally misrepresenting what is actually happening its pretty hard to know what is true.

The key thing, is if allu get it, and you keep your elderly and inferm protected, then you will become one of the safest areas in the country.

#5 Aug 30, 2020 9:48 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, it is definitely spreading like wildfire in these parts.  The weird thing is, you couldn't prove it by me.  If I didn't have access to the media, I wouldn't even notice really.  I mean, I would be aware that a few people have had a bug lately, but it doesn't seem worse than others that have gone around.

I know that my first hand experience doesn't define the pandemic.  I am, however, arguably living in the global hot-spot right now and, again, my first hand experience (other than masks everywhere) is that I probably wouldn't even have noticed anything out of the ordinary if I didn't have access to the media.

#6 Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am

Real Distwalker
Active

My 61 year old brother-in-law had it.  He said it was no worse than cases of the common cold he has experienced in the past.  Again, I realize it kills people... just my report from the front line.

#7 Aug 30, 2020 10:29 am

Expat
Active

Yep, vulnerable people get the worst of it, as it is a vascular illness, it gets everywhere in the body. And older people are more vulnerable simply as our immune system starts to decay.

They were trying to make Saars vacines back in the 60's. They gave up, because when animals, and I think even some human trials where a couple of children died, they realised as a pulmonary illness it was too dangerous to mess with. No problem worth talking about with the administartion of the vaccine, it was the subsequent infection that went to hell in a hand basket.

Science has moved on, but the basic tenets that vacination can bring on sytocane storms still remains.

#8 Aug 30, 2020 10:41 am

Real Distwalker
Active

This shows the rate it is being spread.  As you can see, Iowa is right in the middle of the worst part of the US which has some of the worst spread worldwide.  I post this for credibility purposes when I report that my first hand experience is that it is no big deal.

https://www.msightly.com/covid-19/detai … jectID=258

#9 Aug 30, 2020 11:43 pm

Expat
Active

Not that great on the figures, but I guess even with an R rate near 2 if the population is sparse the numbers cant be THAT high?

We can offer you $50 a night for 14 days plus a few tests, and then you can drift gently as the current wafts you along the beach, until the yard arm goes down... and then a daiquiri or 2.

Since being converted to noodles... tubular floatation devices, I am acttually getting more of an all over tan, as I lollop about for a couple of hours at a time floating just off the beach. Well, more of an all over slightly grubby shade, as I don't really tan. Compared to most people, I am just PALE.

#10 Aug 31, 2020 9:54 am

Real Distwalker
Active

That would be great.  Not the quarantine but the rest would be great. 

The point is, however, that it is pretty much life as normal here.  I mean, we didn't have the state fair, carnivals, parades, festivals and stuff this year and that was a drag, but otherwise things seem pretty normal here.  Except for the masks everywhere, I really can't tell the difference.

By the way, my unexposed skin is the color of new fallen snow and sunburns in minutes.

Board footer