You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#21 Aug 31, 2020 2:50 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Iowa has the second worst transmission rate in the US right now

How could hydroxy both be dangerous and beneficial?  My understanding is that it is an immune suppressant. If Covid puts your body in a cytokine storm, hydroxy could tame it and save your life.  On the other hand, if you take it with mild symptoms, hydroxy can make Covid, much, much worse by suppressing your immune system when you need it most.

#22 Aug 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

I just cant wrap me head around NY, could it be possible, there is an end in sight?  How the hell could ah place like New York positivity rate be 0.6%?

Not sure how many Talkshoppers has been to that place city, and see how they travel and how crowded,their streets are; but, to be that low is  a miracle to me.

It's very simple. Once everybody has had it it can't be transmitted it's called........ herd immunity.... They will mandate the vaccine just as everyone is immune from herd immunity. They will have to earn those billions of dollars somehow.

Every place that is a hot spot gets closer to the herd immunity. The only new concern is will mutated versions come back and bite us all over again?

I ent sure about herd immunity in NY.  NY agressively fought that thing.  They have more than ah hundred thousand tracers.  New York ent making joke with this thing.  Folks from out of state must do ah 14 days quaratine.  Well not sure if that could could be enforced either.  They are only asking.

Sweden herd immunity ent working. President Trump doctor is asking for it doh.

#23 Aug 31, 2020 5:01 pm

Expat
Active

Really, not working, OK, Max cases 1,698, and total to date 84,378, currently new infections at 134, and you don't think herd immunity worked... OK.

#24 Aug 31, 2020 5:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Then there is this.  If there is a vaccine in the next year, a lot of people died in Sweden who didn't have to die.  There is no way the other Scandi countries won't end up with fewer deaths unless the vaccine is years away.

Opera-Snapshot-2020-08-31-164451-ourworldindata-org.png

#25 Aug 31, 2020 11:39 pm

Expat
Active

1 death unnecessarily is a tragedy, whether its killing by cop, or poor decisions by a politician.

Although the Swedish model has resulted in 10 times as many deaths as Denmark, the sum total isn't even one full section of a stand at a football stadium, and they didn't have umpteen suicides, deaths from postponed treatments, factory closures, mental issues created, and a flatline economy. They even have a functioning education system.

Does this bull crap mean they are doing going to stop the World in its tracks the next time we have a tummy bug going round.

Currently The Chinese in Wuhan are having massive pool side and in, rock concerts while the rest of the World goes into lockdown.

#26 Sep 01, 2020 7:56 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, for the record, Iowa has never had a lock down per se.  We did close bars and restaurants for a while in March and April.  It seems to me that Iowa is following the Swedish model without saying so.  We will see how it works out.

Then there is this....

Sweden's GDP slumped 8.6% in Q2, more sharply than its neighbors despite its no-lockdown policy
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav … ors-2020-8

Finally, can you explain to me the mechanics of all being normal in Wuhan?  The virus is still in the wild.  How in the hell can they have a concert, crowd people in and avoid it spreading like mad?  Even if they did clear the city, how do they keep it from returning when there are millions there.  That requires a willing suspension of disbelief.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Sep 01, 2020 8:06 am)

#27 Sep 01, 2020 11:23 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

We'd have to have a hell of a lot of deaths to catch up to Maryland.  That isn't going happen at this point.   The infection rate in Iowa has been climbing since June but the death rate is much lower than in April and May.  Clearly they are getting better at treating it.

The number of folks dead overnight is 03.

#28 Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

1 death unnecessarily is a tragedy, whether its killing by cop, or poor decisions by a politician.

Although the Swedish model has resulted in 10 times as many deaths as Denmark, the sum total isn't even one full section of a stand at a football stadium, and they didn't have umpteen suicides, deaths from postponed treatments, factory closures, mental issues created, and a flatline economy. They even have a functioning education system.

Does this bull crap mean they are doing going to stop the World in its tracks the next time we have a tummy bug going round.

Currently The Chinese in Wuhan are having massive pool side and in, rock concerts while the rest of the World goes into lockdown.

Today in Wuhan schools are opening.  No mask, no social distancing.  I think that is a huge mistake.  New Zealand and Australia, did the same thing and the virus came back especially in Australia.  I think the only benefit to these early opening, is the Contact traceing is much better.

Board footer