You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Sep 11, 2020 9:04 am

Expat
Active

Weather on the way for NH

#2 Sep 11, 2020 10:45 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Weather on the way for NH

Head north baby, there's a nice place you might be interested in, it's called Mar-a-Lago.

#3 Sep 11, 2020 11:40 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Head north baby, there's a nice place you might be interested in, it's called Mar-a-Lago.

Right on the money with that one.

#4 Sep 12, 2020 9:05 am

Slice
Active

Never in me life I have so many disturbances out there. Then still there are those who do not believe in Global Warming.

#5 Sep 12, 2020 9:26 am

Real Distwalker
Active

#6 Sep 12, 2020 9:35 am

Expat
Active

Shame the wind shear didn't get to the Gulf the other day.

Maybe their models are fubar? If they don't model in ALL the things that affect climate they will be off right?

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/15/eaaz9507

Last edited by Expat (Sep 12, 2020 9:44 am)

#7 Sep 12, 2020 9:40 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Yes, it is.  Of course they said it will reduce hurricane activity, not eliminate it.

#8 Sep 12, 2020 9:47 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Yes, it is.  Of course they said it will reduce hurricane activity, not eliminate it.

Considering this seems to be a very active season which the study claimed would reduce activity and it only takes 1 hurricane to give you a bad day, it is pretty pointless piece of theorising.

#9 Sep 12, 2020 9:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, I believe in climate change and I believe humans are playing a role in it.  I know for a fact, however, that not all of the effects will be negative.  Maybe most will but there will be some positive effects.  For example, maybe the growing season will be extended in the temperate zone.  Maybe increased CO2 will increase the productivity of food crops. 

The media, however, virtually NEVER reports on the positive effects.  People end up believing it is 100 percent negative and it just isn't.

That's how I know that the reporting isn't quite truthful and there is a conscious effort to engage in scare mongering.

#10 Sep 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Expat
Active

Yes, I have recently become aware of how politcal, and also inept many media sources are. Even the BBC has fallen into the inept, or failed to do their own research, or are following the party line with Covid. Which is why I like the Highwire, as from my perpective at least their findings are far more tied to science, as actually been proved by their last transmission which did a reprise of events.

However I find the concept that for a brief period England might have a slightly longer growing season for SOME crops, while losing the ability to grow others, while the rest of mainland Europe pivots drastically between scortching heat and arctic freezing a very little plus. Combined with swathes of the perma frost melting and releasing tons of methane into the atmosphere, the West coast of America turning into a charred trea stump, Similar scenario for great tranches of Russia. The stalling of the Atlantic currents, The ice of the North pole ceasing to freeze increasing temperatures, and the ice shelf in Antartica breaking up and contributing to sea elevations just not really a compensation for 3 more weeks of barley production.

P.S. I am pretty sure it was not that long ago that you were poo poing that mankind was having ANY affect on climate change. It was all cyclical, and that we made no difference to it at all.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 12, 2020 2:54 pm)

Board footer