You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#21 Sep 14, 2020 10:38 pm

houston
Active

Re: Weather on the way for NH

Speaking of melt offs, those big bergs are breaking down in a hurry.
The sandy beach shores of Lake Huron are sandy no more as of about 2 years ago. The water is right up to the land banks. The daily erosion is unbelievable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/gree … -1.5723009

#22 Sep 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Expat
Active

>> in previous convo's your opinion seemed to be individually we made no difference. Mine is, accumulated we do.<<

Your Serenity prayer is cop out bollocks. (If I read how you meant me to read it correctly)

The rising tide of naturalists, and "concerned" members of the public are creating the consciousness that will cause more people to fixate on the second line. By humans with integrity pushing at the indifferent there will be a seed change. Already there are increased and improving technologies saving pollution with electricity generation. Solar panels are getting more efficient and costs are coming down, Vehicles are ever leaning towards electricity/battery power. Cities like London are penalising the hell out of vehicle owners, especially diesel. Quite a turn around from 15 - 20 years ago when the Government was encouraging people to use diesel. Something I thought was insane at the time.
Your coal mines despite Trumps best efforts are going to the wall, Just as ours did 30 years ago.
If only Governments had listened to the word 50 years ago we probably, not certainly, but probably would not be in the shit we are now. They were told loud and strong, but vacillated, and tried to wriggle round the problems. Now apart from the Trumpeter most countries including China are trying to figure out how to reduce pollution.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 14, 2020 10:55 pm)

#23 Sep 14, 2020 10:58 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Speaking of melt offs, those big bergs are breaking down in a hurry.
The sandy beach shores of Lake Huron are sandy no more as of about 2 years ago. The water is right up to the land banks. The daily erosion is unbelievable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/gree … -1.5723009

But you can't change anything, so don't worry....... RD has a prayer for that.

#24 Sep 14, 2020 11:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You and I aren't doing anything that effects the global climate.  Nothing you do, no matter how hard you try, is going to have the slightest effect on the global climate.  If you die today or live another 30 years it won't make a difference.

Learn the prayer.

#25 Sep 14, 2020 11:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

But you can't change anything, so don't worry....... RD has a prayer for that.

What do you want Houston to do to end lake-shore erosion on Huron?

#26 Sep 14, 2020 11:41 pm

houston
Active

He needs to move his picnic table inland.

20190608-114853.jpg

#27 Sep 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Expat
Active

You will make little difference despite all your wetlands, I will make little difference charging around my property with a 2 stroke weedeater.

But you know what 7.8 Billion people encouraged to care might. You really need to get out of your isolationist castle a bit more. There are movements all around the World. Some are crackpots can't think of their name, but a set of folks that sat cross legged and thought they were flying... Then there are hopefuls in countries all around the World.

Unfortunately there are some who shrug their shoulders, utilise the benefits that surround them for convenience, and economy, and instead of saying, regardless of personal benefit, I have done something that is CONTRIBUTING, and if others can find even a simple minor change they can make it will add to my contribution, and the many disparate efforts can be mutually beneficial. Simple things like only running to the shops twice a month instead of 4 times, Trying to buy local foods instead of carbon rich foods shipped across the nation, or from the other side of the World.

There are lots of little ways WE can make a difference if we wanted to.

It confuses the hell out of me that you seem to do lots of the right things, and then talk bollocks about how it makes no difference. When if you took your self interested head off and put your I am a citizen of the World head on you could be in a small way a galvanising force.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 14, 2020 11:55 pm)

#28 Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

It confuses the hell out of me that you seem to do lots of the right things, and then talk bollocks about how it makes no difference.

I simply refuse to delude myself that my individual actions will affect the global climate.  They absolutely, positively will not.  It is delusional to imagine they will.

#29 Sep 15, 2020 9:35 am

Expat
Active

Like you just can't get over you and your little Iowa Island.

None of us individually can change anything, unless we become a sniper and pop off the odd renegade leader.

However you are part of a cog, in a big wheel. If you push in the same direction as everyone else the wheel moves. It aint rocket science.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 15, 2020 9:35 am)

Board footer