You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Sep 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Expat
Active

I don't think I posted this screen shot before

I've done the health of America thing, but I don't think I used this. Food for thought.

Screenshot-2020-09-06-22-44-20.png

#2 Sep 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: I don't think I posted this screen shot before

What is your great concern with the health of Americans?  You aren't an American.  Almost none of the regulars are Americans.  Let it go.

#3 Sep 28, 2020 4:29 pm

New Historian
Active

I think it's a lot more than 1 in 20 depressed these days.

It's okay RD, Expat is full of concern for us ex-colonials lol!! It's that good old British paternalism, old habits and all that jazz.

#4 Sep 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

He probably considers Americans to be ex-colonials. smile

#5 Sep 28, 2020 5:28 pm

New Historian
Active

Whaddyu mean considers? Y'all are the original ex-colonials.

#6 Sep 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

So you never grow out of that?  There is no expiration date?  I mean, we kicked their asses and sent them packing in 1781.  We bailed them out of two World Wars.  Every American subject of the crown has been dead for at least 140 years.  On top of all of that, we are a nation of inveterate Anglophiles who all secretly love the all things British.  Still nothing but ex-colonials? 

Yeah, that's probably what we are.  LOL!

#7 Sep 28, 2020 5:52 pm

houston
Active

Letting go is never easy and can take some time. In some cases, it can take over 200 plus years before the healing begins.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Union_Flag

#8 Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

So you never grow out of that?  There is no expiration date?  I mean, we kicked their asses and sent them packing in 1781.  We bailed them out of two World Wars.  Every American subject of the crown has been dead for at least 140 years.  On top of all of that, we are a nation of inveterate Anglophiles who all secretly love the all things British.  Still nothing but ex-colonials? 

Yeah, that's probably what we are.  LOL!

Yup, that tag's with you for life - just like ah JCB, you coulda been back for 20 years you're still ah friggin whiney, complainy moany JCB!! As for bail outta wars, you mean come in at the end and hog all the glory! Okay y'all had lotsa ships. ANd planes...

#9 Sep 28, 2020 6:12 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

As for bail outta wars, you mean come in at the end and hog all the glory! Okay y'all had lotsa ships. ANd planes...

Yeah, hogging glory for sure, but, as you point out, Lend/Lease, millions of tons of foodstuffs for England, B-17s, B-24s, liberty ships, Atlantic convoys, the invasion of North Africa, Italy, Utah Beach, Omaha Beach and so forth.  In a alternate universe in which the US didn't exist, Britain would have sued for peace in 1940.

Also, the nukes.  Recall Japan attacked the UK at the same time as Pearl Harbor.

WW1 is a bit more complex but quite similar.

I am not being an ugly American here.  I believe Britain standing alone against the Nazis May of 1940 until June 1941 is the greatest case of national courage and fortitude in history.  I am in awe of Britannia.

Still, facts are facts.

#10 Sep 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Expat
Active

All this Colonial back and forth springing from a rather depressing set of actual stats, or projections taken from official sources.

America dominates the WWW. So it is hardly surprising so much information from it, and about it is out there.

The rest of the World does not have the supposed, but rapidly disappearing ability to speak freely, but what we do have we should be able to use without censorship no?

We can talk about Scots eating Mars bars fried in batter if it would make you feel better?

A well known course of events, is that what happens in America happens in the UK and other places 20 year later, or that certainly used to be a common happening.

Nowadays the catch up time is either non existent due to media, or not far behind.

It is a concern for all of us when so many negative things are being recorded as somewhere soon down the road the disastrous food choices, and other contaminants will find there way into other nations lifestyle with the same results,

Big Macs, KFC's, Wendies, Burger King, Coke to name the most obvious ones.

So it is in everyone's interests to monitor how deep the shit is so we can get the right length water boots.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 28, 2020 7:49 pm)

Board footer