You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 19, 2016 8:40 am

Bamseeboy

LEAVE A COMMENT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

We are trying to make this forum as user friendly as possible.  Change is always difficult, but we are hoping, you adopt to the change.  We tried our best to keep the old format, but it was almost impossible to do so.

We promise, we won't be offended, even if you comments are negative.  Enjoy your visit.

#2 Nov 19, 2016 9:33 am

piratejenny

Re: LEAVE A COMMENT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

With LastPass [holding the Username and Password]] taking me to the site, I still had to Log In. I suppose it shall work its way out.

The panoramic photo at the header is beautiful - my reception of it is this: it is not centered left/right within the gray, but hangs over on the right and indents less than one quarter of an inch on the left. Seems like you could maneuver/reduce it so it fits in quite neat.

I too miss following on every post, even header. Is there a way to have a category of the latest posts [say 25] one after the other; and then also the individual categories [which I like also].

#3 Nov 19, 2016 10:13 am

Webmaster
Administrator

piratejenny wrote:

it is not centered left/right within the gray, but hangs over on the right and indents less than one quarter of an inch on the left. Seems like you could maneuver/reduce it so it fits in quite neat.

It seemed perfectly centered in Chrome.  I looked at other browsers and I saw what you meant. I reduced the size of the image and centered it.  It now looks a bit smaller in Chrome but seems centered in other browsers as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

#4 Nov 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Expat

bamseeboy wrote:

We are trying to make this forum as user friendly as possible.  Change is always difficult, but we are hoping, you adopt to the change.  We tried our best to keep the old format, but it was almost impossible to do so.

We promise, we won't be offended, even if you comments are negative.  Enjoy your visit.

We have discussed this already, but as I have attempted not to be a luddite, I did try and see if I can work with the new format, I still come up with the same conclusion. All spontaneity goes as you have to hunt down the threads to see what happened after you posted. Whereas with the original it was all there for you to see.

True the concept of keeping the religious posts as far away from just about everything else has it's merits, but again one can chose not to open them. The old format was definitely better.

Currently there aren't any of those weird whacky posts that surfaced from time to time where you need a psychologist to explain what the poster meant, but when they do arrive it will be even more chaotic.

It feels like you are pushing a lead weight in front of you to find anything.

I hear there were issues with Brians original version... But up until the demise it seemed to be working fine with the exception of the need to resize the dialogue box, which was a small price to pay in comparison to this format that hides threads.

I have heard we need to accept change as change is happening all the time.  But not all change is good, and I am afraid I firmly put this iteration into that category. If the original version can be retro fitted it will be a vast improvement over this set up... JMHO.

#5 Nov 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Bamseeboy

Expat wrote:

If the original version can be retro fitted it will be a vast improvement over this set up... JMHO.

Sorry bout dat.  We aim to please so we refunding your registration fee nah. smile

#6 Nov 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Real Distwalker

Expat wrote:

All spontaneity goes as you have to hunt down the threads to see what happened after you posted. Whereas with the original it was all there for you to see.

It isn't that hard.  On the front page, the site highlights the topics (Forums) that have new stuff since your last visit.   Click on that topic and it puts in bold the threads that have new stuff since you last checked in.  If you look closely, there is a little black dot next to threads that you have participated in.  If there is no black dot, you haven't commented in that thread.  If there is, you have.

I can peruse the site, see what's new and what I want to comment on in like, 10 seconds.   By any measure, that is faster and more efficient than the old board.

#7 Nov 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

All spontaneity goes as you have to hunt down the threads to see what happened after you posted. Whereas with the original it was all there for you to see.

It isn't that hard.  On the front page, the site highlights the topics (Forums) that have new stuff since your last visit.   Click on that topic and it puts in bold the threads that have new stuff since you last checked in.  If you look closely, there is a little black dot next to threads that you have participated in.  If there is no black dot, you haven't commented in that thread.  If there is, you have.

I can peruse the site, see what's new and what I want to comment on in like, 10 seconds.   By any measure, that is faster and more efficient than the old board.

Our brains must be wired completely differently, as with the old site everything was there, front page, including where within any particular thread you had posted, so you knew instantly whether you had posted previous to the last poster in the thread or not, and could chose on the front page whether you wanted to look at intermediary posts or go straight to the last one.

You are a better man than me gungadin. It takes me 10 seconds just to look down the topic index. Then 2 seconds to move the mouse to the link and click, and then another 10 to revue what is viable for viewing, plus the consideration of whether I have already viewed it or not, and then, and then.

It works for you. great. If it works for others great. You love it you keep it. If the much easier to follow previous version has suddenly mysteriously become totally unusable, and this all there is. I guess some will persist.

The request was for opinions, so I gave mine in the place where others could see, agree or disagree, or improve on any comments I made.  That was I believe the intention of the thread in the first place.

#8 Nov 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Slice

This is the sole purpose of Talkshop.  It has ah bunch ah meaning when we sometimes disagree.  I see your point, about the ole shop, but it is gone for good.  We must either adopt, or go the way of the dinosaur.  Expat you get to choose.  I have chosen.

#9 Nov 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Real Distwalker

Expat: Then just go to the upper right side of the page in the header and hit New.  It will give you a list of every new topic since you last showed up.  That should be really, really easy for you.

#10 Nov 23, 2016 6:50 am

Slice

Expat, For folks who have never met you, leh me say this, you are a very smarth person.  While speaking to you on your verandah, ah thought ah was speaking to ah Human encyclopedia.  Here is the real kicker, if you did not say your age, I honestly thought you were in your  middle fifties; so, I am thinking there must be another issue, what is it? are you dat fraid of change?

Board footer