You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Oct 04, 2020 6:43 pm

houston
Active

Some questions for RD

With the election only a month away, what happens if the POTUS is no longer able to carry on with his campaign? Does the election get postponed and if so, what becomes of the many ballots already cast?
If the POTUS becomes deceased before the election, who takes over and gets credit for those already cast votes? Do they go to the step in candidate or the party represented?
I'm not being silly when I ask this...can Americans vote for a dead president?

#2 Oct 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Some questions for RD

Under no circumstances can the election be postponed.  The date is set in the constitution.

If Trump dies between now and the election, Pence would become president.  That doesn't necessarily mean he would be the Republican candidate, however.  Republican Party delegates could name another candidate.  Really anybody.  The most likely scenario, however, is they would name Pence since he would be the sitting president.

I don't know what would happen to the ballots cast. I assume that would be the focus of a huge political battle and constitutional crisis.

Americans can vote for a dead man but those ballots would be ignored.  Remember, the US doesn't have direct elections.  Votes appoint electors and the electors have to vote for a person.  I recall there was a Supreme Court case that ruled that a dead person isn't a person as far as the law is concerned.  Therefore the electors couldn't vote for the dead man.  They would have to pick someone else to vote for and, I am guessing, they would vote for whoever the Republican candidate is.

This is wild shit, however, and I guarantee that it would be a global crisis if it happens.

#3 Oct 04, 2020 9:10 pm

houston
Active

Thanks.
Yeah, that would be a crazy scenario if a dead guy were to be elected.
Never know, strange things happen.

#4 Oct 04, 2020 9:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

Yeah, that would be a crazy scenario if a dead guy were to be elected.

Behold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Unit … n_Missouri

Still, I don't think it would happen with the presidency due to the electoral college.

#5 Oct 05, 2020 9:24 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Under no circumstances can the election be postponed.  The date is set in the constitution.

If Trump dies between now and the election, Pence would become president.  That doesn't necessarily mean he would be the Republican candidate, however.  Republican Party delegates could name another candidate.  Really anybody.  The most likely scenario, however, is they would name Pence since he would be the sitting president.

I don't know what would happen to the ballots cast. I assume that would be the focus of a huge political battle and constitutional crisis.

Americans can vote for a dead man but those ballots would be ignored.  Remember, the US doesn't have direct elections.  Votes appoint electors and the electors have to vote for a person.  I recall there was a Supreme Court case that ruled that a dead person isn't a person as far as the law is concerned.  Therefore the electors couldn't vote for the dead man.  They would have to pick someone else to vote for and, I am guessing, they would vote for whoever the Republican candidate is.

This is wild shit, however, and I guarantee that it would be a global crisis if it happens.

I read all the different scenarios yesterday it is mind blowing, but it all laid out in the constitution.

#6 Oct 06, 2020 10:43 am

Dancer
Active

>  Who said the different scenarios was mind-blowing.   <   Lo.

Some 'freaking' out.

Board footer