You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Oct 12, 2020 5:31 pm

houston
Active

Modern vehicles

I drive an old beater because I like it, it's paid for, only need it on the weekends and I'm an El Cheapo.
Lately I've noticed more and more vehicles that pull up beside me at a red light have the auto start/stop feature...brake applied, engine stops. Brake released, engine starts.
Used to be only high end vehicles but now Ford pick-ups and just about any new model seem to have this feature.
Got wondering about the logic and how hard that constant start and stop must be on the components.
They say it saves on fuel consumption and less idling time, so more environmentally friendly.
Oh, and the manufacturer can charge more while the government is able to collect more tax.
Just a matter of time before this ridiculous feature will be mandatory.
Image the cost of repair and parts, that can only be sourced through the dealership, for this added complication that will surely break down.
I prefer driving a ride with manual control.

#2 Oct 12, 2020 5:55 pm

houston
Active

Re: Modern vehicles

Oh, and the dealership techs can rarely trouble shoot failures anymore. They tend to move around from shop to shop and are not trained to repair a space shuttle.
Therefore the new $2,000 replacement board made in China is usually the quickest solution.

#3 Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Expat
Active

Those people I know with them disengage the feature anyway. Unless you are going to be standing in a long line of traffic that isn't moving I believe the savings are miniscule, and I would kill the engine in that scenario myself anyway. Maybe in a BIG country where stops might not be that frequent it wouldn't cause charging issues, but to be stop start driving in London say, I would hate it.

Our UK buses have a version of this, but they do pull away under their own steam, so to speak, and then the engine fires up at a few miles per hour.

Even my 12 year old vehicle is a pain in the butt, as compared to the old beater variety, which I could rip to pieces with my eyes closed, diagnose with relative ease, and rectify with similar ease. Now I have a diagnostic plug in dohicky, but you still have to read and interpret the fault codes, and many times inbuilt systems can mess up anything you plan to do if you are not a dealer.

#4 Oct 12, 2020 7:07 pm

houston
Active

Apparently the start/stop can overridden for long trips but then defaults back to factory settings once the ignition is powered off.
Stop for gas or a bite to eat and it needs to be overridden again. That would take a lot of getting used to.
Can't imagine being stuck in heavy traffic and hearing that engine stop and start every few seconds.
Would drive me nuts.

#5 Oct 12, 2020 7:11 pm

houston
Active

Listening to this stop and start at every light is annoying enough.

#6 Oct 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I rented a vehicle in Paris to drive all over northern France in 2017.  As we took it out of underground parking, it kept "stalling" and my friends were heckling me for popping the clutch and stalling it out.  I kept saying I wasn't and they kept laughing at me.  Finally, w figured out it was supposed to do that.

#7 Oct 12, 2020 8:06 pm

houston
Active

Yes, I'm beginning to look around and feel embarrassed when my vehicle doesn't suddenly shut down at every press of the brake.

#8 Oct 13, 2020 11:36 am

Dancer
Active

I was reminded of one of my early cars in  ville de montreal . 1975 ish

>>> A 1963-4 Plymouth Valiant  : Push button gears , push , button transmission.

>>>  Seeing pics of the car once again on Google ,,,  "  what  nice lines"  <<  beaut of a car.

' Good taste dancer '.  sad. lol.

#9 Oct 13, 2020 5:59 pm

houston
Active

Interesting, I remember those Chryslers with the push buttons.
My first car was a 72 Plymouth Satellite, got it for $400 in 1980 from a mechanic that worked in the Kmart garage where I worked part time doing tires and oil changes.
Really loved the car and having the sense of freedom with my own set of wheels, but it wasn't long before it was smashed up.
I remember the hype of the Chrysler K-car at the time. Kmart had one displayed in the main aisle.

#10 Oct 13, 2020 7:11 pm

New Historian
Active

First time I encountered this foolishness was on a rental in France in '17, took us a while to figure how to disengage this annoyance, but as you say, every time you turn off the ignition, it starts again. Car makers just try to be too clever by half, like keyless keys - more foolishness. Just something else to go wrong, and in this case make high end cars easier to steal, they can disengage your door lock with a programmed cellphone! So you know what's made a big comeback in London: Crook-locks!! Oh aren't we so clever.

Board footer