You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Oct 13, 2020 8:17 pm

houston
Active

Re: Modern vehicles

Yes, high tech cars bring high tech thieves. They seem to have no problems with the keyless entry. Amazing how many expensive vehicles disappear from home driveways simply because the main key hanging in the hallway or kitchen is code robbed from the sidewalk. That nice car can be there today and then packed in overseas container tomorrow.
Yeah man, the Crook-lock is about the only thing that would stump a modern day thief.

#12 Oct 13, 2020 9:01 pm

Expat
Active

Bloody programmed keys cost a bloody fortune to replace.   Grrrrrr.

#13 Oct 13, 2020 9:56 pm

houston
Active

No kidding, over $200 per set. Keys are now the brains of the car.

#14 Oct 13, 2020 11:36 pm

Expat
Active

I don't want to exagerate, but I think all told it was about $1600 EC for a Rav 4. Kinda one of those experiences you want to forget.

#15 Oct 14, 2020 7:37 am

Slice
Active

As soon as ah was finish paying for me car, which is now ten years old ah was ready for ah new one.  I love the new technology in these New cars.  Even my ten year ole Jag amazes me with some Techs.

Wifee BM, has that stupid stop and start shite and ah hate it. I leave the audio system on in her car on and it just wont turn off, until the battery is low.  In my car if ah do the same, once the door is closed, the audio stops.

There is one down side to my car well maybe two.  Every ten days ah must drive at very high speeds for at least 30 minutes.  If my car sits for two days the battery is completely dead; so, every night ah must  keep it charge.  That is ah real pain.

Yep ah ready for ah new car, but ah know ah dead if ah buy one.

#16 Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

houston
Active

Be careful with that choice of new car if you value privacy Slice.
This article is a bit old but tells of the space and boundaries being overstepped. Every modern device from Fit-Bits to home appliances are spying on us and collecting data.
The modern vehicle is no longer your best friend, it can keep no secrets.
No wonder drive-in theaters have gone bust.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washing … utType=amp

#17 Oct 17, 2020 7:31 pm

houston
Active

We are under constant surveillance every day when we log in or start a switch. There's no escaping the eyes.
Auto manufacturers are some of the worst offenders of snooping personal data.
Can't stand those ads and robo calls that suddenly appear from nowhere with a bombardment.

#18 Oct 18, 2020 10:41 am

Expat
Active

Did not know that...

#19 Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

We are under constant surveillance every day when we log in or start a switch. There's no escaping the eyes.
Auto manufacturers are some of the worst offenders of snooping personal data.
Can't stand those ads and robo calls that suddenly appear from nowhere with a bombardment.

I ent have ah ting to hide.  Seriously ah love new stuff.  Let them peep, that is the price I am willing to pay for safety, in a vehicle.  Theses new vehicles are maybe ah hundred percent safer than vehicles that was made 20 years ago.

#20 Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Expat
Active

Some vehicles will have improved because they were a poor design in the first place, but we have had seat belts and air bags like for ever. The main advancements have been with fuel economy. Both by more complicated engine management systems, and improved materials, and also more efficient engines. The other way they have created economies is by reducing the thickness of the panels.

So now you have a simple bump, and there is major damage to your car. Great selling point crumple zones. Otherwise known as thin panels.

The main improvement in safety was way way back when they changed from Vehicles with chassis to monocoque bodies, as back in the day nothing crumpled, so the impact was abrupt and severe.

Board footer