You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Oct 30, 2020 9:42 am

Expat
Active

I am really struggling with this.

OK, for our sensitive friend, this is not bashing, it's can anyone explain.... please.

The population in Amerikee is around 5 times the size of the UK, and for sure the land mass is many times greater. BUT.

How is it voting is such a nightmare in America.... never mind Trumps interventions....Postal alterations etc.

In the UK, the vast majority of votes are on the day, between (never up that early) between maybe 7am, and up to 9pm I think... but it's one day. With a small amount of postal votes for people like the infirm, police, soldiers and similar folks.

They nearly always have a deciding count by the next morning, as the counters work through the night, and the only problem is when it is a close vote, and they decide to have a recount in which ever polling region the close count was.

With all the many millions spent on the campaigns could it just be providing adequate numbers of polling stations is an ask too much?

#2 Oct 30, 2020 10:07 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: I am really struggling with this.

It's not a "nightmare for America".  In fact, I have never waited more than 10 minutes and most of the time I don't wait at all.  That's how it is for most of America.

Voting places are managed my local precincts.  Sometimes they mess up.  They get more voters than they thought.  They change the precinct boundaries.  Or maybe they just screw up.

The press goes to these places and reports on long lines.

Then, people isolated in distant lands who have no first hand experience with voting in America convince themselves that "voting in America is a nightmare."   They don't have a clue.

#3 Oct 30, 2020 11:41 am

Slice
Active

I also think some, Republicans try to suppress some voting. My governor is not one of them, he thinks everyone should vote. I honestly think it can become very easy to vote of both Political parties work together.  The place I once worked If there were 300 folks working there about 1% votes.  This I just could not figure out.  In Baltimre City the Black community, do not vote period.  Then they bawl Racism and things just ent right.  Get involved vote.

#4 Oct 30, 2020 2:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

A lot of the local precincts with lines are in New York.  There are no Republicans in NYC to suppress the vote.

#5 Oct 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It's not a "nightmare for America".  In fact, I have never waited more than 10 minutes and most of the time I don't wait at all.  That's how it is for most of America.

Voting places are managed my local precincts.  Sometimes they mess up.  They get more voters than they thought.  They change the precinct boundaries.  Or maybe they just screw up.

The press goes to these places and reports on long lines.

Then, people isolated in distant lands who have no first hand experience with voting in America convince themselves that "voting in America is a nightmare."   They don't have a clue.

Nothing to do with being isolated, sorry. It is in our houses 24/7.

Call it what you will, I am asking because as I stated, in the UK it takes ONE DAY, plus postal votes which as far as I know are only opened at cessation of the voting day, yet from all the Amreican outlets I am exposed to, you are voting for days, and then if Trumpeter gets his way it will probably be days or maybe even weeks before anyone accepts the result. But I was only referencing the multiple days.

But what I was specifically refering to as illustrated by me saying the UK does the whole thing including counting in roughly 24+ hours was that you have several days of advance voting. I may have seen long lines, but I wasn't talking about those, even old colonialistic Countries have those from time to time. Covid could be an explanation for that. Perhaps this advance voting is normal?

Last edited by Expat (Oct 30, 2020 4:55 pm)

Board footer