You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Nov 17, 2020 10:58 am

Dancer
Active

BARBADOS removes Lord Nelson statue

Yesterday  Monday 16 Nov 2020 .
Authorities in Barbados removed the 207 year old statute  of Lord nelson from its capital Bridgetown. ( and Heroes Square )
Prime Minister  Mia Mottley underscored the importance of emancipation to Barbados and theCaribbean.

#2 Nov 17, 2020 11:49 am

New Historian
Active

Re: BARBADOS removes Lord Nelson statue

Meh. When I lived in Bim 25 years ago the same kerfuffle erupted, and the then government "solved" the problem by turning old Horatio around, so instead of facing the sea he faced inland. Was stupid then and stupid now. If we erased all traces of slavery, colonialism and racism from our history - we'd have no history!

#3 Nov 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Slice
Active

The most powerful leader in the Caribbean, but still doh trust Barbados.  Bad experience sometime ago, still kinda lingers on me mind.

#4 Nov 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Meh. When I lived in Bim 25 years ago the same kerfuffle erupted, and the then government "solved" the problem by turning old Horatio around, so instead of facing the sea he faced inland. Was stupid then and stupid now. If we erased all traces of slavery, colonialism and racism from our history - we'd have no history!

One less tourist attraction and focal point for their very British island. Or at least thats what they sold it as in the past. I vaugly recall seeing the Nelson mineme all those years ago when getting to grenada HAD to be via Barbados.

So if they become a republic, as was muted, will visitors need a visa?

To be 100% honest, I had no idea until fairly recently that Nelson was part of the Slavery process, as our history focussed around things like the Battle of Trafalgar.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 17, 2020 2:04 pm)

#5 Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

One less tourist attraction and focal point for their very British island. Or at least thats what they sold it as in the past. I vaugly recall seeing the Nelson mineme all those years ago when getting to grenada HAD to be via Barbados.

So if they become a republic, as was muted, will visitors need a visa?

To be 100% honest, I had no idea until fairly recently that Nelson was part of the Slavery process, as our history focussed around things like the Battle of Trafalgar.

Ah but he wasn't part of the slavery process; Nelson was chiefly preoccupied with fighting the French,and he certainly never participated in, nor protected, the slave trade.

#6 Nov 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Expat
Active

I can't remember the exactitudes of it, but I am pretty sure he was in favour of it....

#7 Nov 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Dancer
Active

New  Historian on the back foot.
Expat closer to the truth. lol

Bajan    ... Sugar Cane plantation   owners  had Lord Nelson  statute   made  to show support for England .    .....  OK.

History ..... battle of Trafalgar Oct 1805 , established  British Naval Supremacy for more than 100 years . The battle was fought west of CAPE TRAFALGAR  Spain.

Lord Nelson was a British hero (  no  problem with that ). Bajans don't think he belongs in their Hero's Square.
Tourists can visit him at some other site , pay a little fee like the CONCORD plane in Barbados. lol.

******* This is one time I miss the JA's , Calypso comments. lol.

Last edited by Dancer (Nov 17, 2020 6:02 pm)

#8 Nov 17, 2020 6:15 pm

New Historian
Active

Dancer wrote:

New  Historian on the back foot.
Expat closer to the truth. lol

Bajan    ... Sugar Cane plantation   owners  had Lord Nelson  statute   made  to show support for England .    .....  OK.

History ..... battle of Trafalgar Oct 1805 , established  British Naval Supremacy for more than 100 years . The battle was fought west of CAPE TRAFALGAR  Spain.

Lord Nelson was a British hero (  no  problem with that ). Bajans don't think he belongs in their Hero's Square.
Tourists can visit him at some other site , pay a little fee like the CONCORD plane in Barbados. lol.

******* This is one time I miss the JA's , Calypso comments. lol.

Nelson was a product of his time, the large bulk of his maritime activities were in European theatres of war, the only reason he went to the Caribbean in the first place was to chase the French fleet and defend England's Caribbean possessions. There are many many far more egregious figures in history whose statues I would happily tear down. Like Rhodes, rapist of Africa. And I use that word specifically. Like Columbus, the lost and vicious genocidaire.

#9 Nov 17, 2020 6:25 pm

houston
Active

No doubt that Nelson was a naval hero.
The big question is, should he have been pickled in a barrel of rum or brandy for preservation on the journey home?
Bottoms up!...a debate that will go on until the end of time.

https://folklorethursday.com/folktales/ … -the-cask/

#10 Nov 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Dancer
Active

I could live with that  NH.
But  (most Bajans )  after turning him around (smh) lol
Wants him out of 'Heroes Square' . You notice the name change  in Barbados from  'Trafalgar Square'  to Heroes Square '.
Bajans I am sure knows history. lol.

Board footer