You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jan 08, 2021 3:00 pm

New Historian
Active

Days of Black Reflections - Jamaica

Jamaica in the seventies was a hotbed of radicalism, and I was lucky enough to be there at the right age (young, impressionable and stupid) to hitch a ride on these exciting winds of change. Our bible was Walter Rodney’s “How Europe Underdeveloped Africa”; our heroes were Nkrumah, Fanon, and of course Castro. We followed the anti-apartheid struggles, boycotted South Africa, castigated the sell-outs; we were the children of the (armchair) revolution.

Manley’s love affair with Fidel led to an influx of performers from Cuba and other non-aligned nations, there was never a shortage of parties, concerts and thought-provoking plays to attend. With every third world icon to pay a state visit to Jamaica, ever-more elaborate welcoming ceremonies were dreamt up by the government’s propaganda machine, spearheaded by Wycliffe Bennett, or Wy-cleef Benay as he was mockingly called. When Julius Nyrere, gentle lion of Africa, came to Jamaica on a state visit, we went wild with welcome: Uhuru!

Mozambican revolutionary leader Samora Michel peppered his (long) speech at the National Arena with “Aluta continua!” every minute like clockwork. Tom got into an argy-bargy with tall Peter Tosh, who was blocking his view. “I don’t care who you are; move your head!”

#2 Jan 08, 2021 11:12 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Days of Black Reflections - Jamaica

Lo... Early  West Indian reflection.

Seventies  . Early in the North , part time jobs , going to school in La belle Province  , 
Clubs ... lol . Snow . , girls ,  knew  a little  more of the  Caribbean , lo ,,,, European ,
1st car.
Cool restaurants ,   nice Apts , move every year or too ..
french habit ..in june I think.
Lots of music  , black bands .  A  night club that featured  U.S. bands . 'on Stanley ' ..
Place to go  on weekends  guys.   .....LO.

Last edited by Dancer (Jan 08, 2021 11:22 pm)

Board footer