You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jan 25, 2021 12:09 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian, have you seen Small Axe?

I immediately thought of you.

https://youtu.be/SjFAEy-0BLk

#2 Jan 25, 2021 12:42 am

New Historian
Active

Re: New Historian, have you seen Small Axe?

Not yet, it's high in my watch list - gonna look to see if I recognize any neer-do-wells from my past lol! It resonates exactly with my early life - and a lot of Expat's too. I was the quintessential Windrush kid, but unlike most Windrush kids, after having grown up in England; I then left. As soon as possible. Best decision ever made. Thanks man.

Most of what I watch on the box is news (when its good) and sports, I'm still, finally, ploughing through all series of Breaking Bad - in sane!

#3 Jan 25, 2021 8:58 am

Expat
Active

Can I ever make a comment without negativety... Seems not.

I have watched 3 I think it was... well 3 episodes, but only about 2 in time watched duration.

The first wasn't bad, about a restaurant, meeting place, reflective of the times, showing the racism within the police force, as it was, a little slow at times, but life ain't always fast, the second was supposed to be about the dance/party culture. It may have been reflective of attending a house party of the era, but it dragged on, and on, and on, I stuck with it for ages, and even fell asleep and flipped back to see if anything merited catching up... and it didn't. It was bloody awful.

The 3rd, to be honest I have completely forgotten what it was about, as I could see it's sluggish nature was going to be more of the same, so I filed it under bin fairly quickly.

Yes, I could relate to it from my past, but it was a disapointment for me.

#4 Jan 25, 2021 9:41 am

New Historian
Active

"Can I ever make a comment without negativety... Seems not."

Who do dat? Methink thou dost protesteth too much?

#5 Jan 25, 2021 10:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

When I was a kid there was a TV ad for Life Cereal.  It was one of the most famous and quoted ads of the 70s.  I don't know if any of you would have seen it.

There were three kids.  Two of them were debating trying "some new cereal".  One says, "you try it." 

The other says, "I'm not going to try it."

The first says, "Hey, let's get Mikey."

Mikey is a younger child.

The second kid says, "He won't eat it.  He hates everything."

Expat, you remind me of Mikey.  You hate everything.

#6 Jan 25, 2021 10:05 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Series I enjoyed...

Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Homeland
The Last Kingdom
The Poldarks
Shameless
Vikings
Man in the High Castle

#7 Jan 25, 2021 10:33 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

When I was a kid there was a TV ad for Life Cereal.  It was one of the most famous and quoted ads of the 70s.  I don't know if any of you would have seen it.

There were three kids.  Two of them were debating trying "some new cereal".  One says, "you try it." 

The other says, "I'm not going to try it."

The first says, "Hey, let's get Mikey."

Mikey is a younger child.

The second kid says, "He won't eat it.  He hates everything."

Expat, you remind me of Mikey.  You hate everything.

Maybe, or maybe I am objective. No I didn't say objectionable, thats another thread... LoL.

#8 Jan 25, 2021 10:51 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Series I enjoyed...

Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Homeland
The Last Kingdom
The Poldarks
Shameless
Vikings
Man in the High Castle

Followed The Last Kingdom, and Vikings. Also Michael Burnam in Star Trek... smile

I have watched hundreds of films over the past few years, maybe thousands, as Wifey kills Netflix, however combining her choice in movies, and the fact that after nearly 70 years of watching films you can almost predict the run order and outcome of a film as they run the opening titles, it takes something fairly original to grab my attention.

What was it, only 12 original stories ever written?

Currently beloved watches Mexican drug cartel series with like 120 episodes, and I watch how to port your chainsaw on Youtube, or Crisfix, or product reviews on 50 year old oil from Quacker. Can you imagine, a guy testing out whether you can run a lawn mower on honey instead of oil has more pull than a mind numbing series based in Turkey with no subtitles about an ancient civilisation that lasted for 187 episodes I think.... and Wifey has no idea really what it was about.

Even the drug crap series, I glance up, watch 2 minutes, pause the video, and then explain what is really going on in the series....

#9 Jan 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The opening scene to season two of The Man in the High Castle was as nightmarish as anything I have seen on film.

https://youtu.be/pjKFIim6Gj8

#10 Jan 25, 2021 7:49 pm

New Historian
Active

Small Axe is a good example of the two Bob Marleys. When he became famous he re-recorded some of his earlier ska and rock-steady songs, into a more modern heavier reggae format.

First:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eciArkBTeBM

Second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGBJAnYA9E

Last edited by New Historian (Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm)

Board footer