You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jan 27, 2021 9:30 am

Expat
Active

Alternatives keep popping up

I know of a couple of people who have had the vaccine, and as far as I can tell no substantial side effects, so in the short term thats great. One very elderly, one a bit older than me. So long term issues may not be a problem for at least one of them.

However, there are treatments popping up out of the woodwork almost every week.

We had already heard about the product that uses antibodies from infected patients, that currently claims to be 100%.

There may be light at the end of this long long tunnel.

Personally I would be more interested in a product closer to the existing concept of a vaccine such as the antibody version, as compared to the mRNA jabs, which is an absolutely new technology which is really currently an experimental treatment.

#2 Jan 27, 2021 10:54 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Alternatives keep popping up

Israel has already given 45% of the population the first jab and 14.5% both shots.  They are on the cusp of herd immunity.

The UK is at 11%.

The US is at a paltry 7.2%

I don't know what they are doing in France at 1.2%

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jan 27, 2021 10:55 am)

#3 Jan 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Slice
Active

Yes there are some products that are working out there.  I think ah heard them say last, in the early stages of the disease, please call your doctor, this medication could cure you without going to the hospital.  Ah forgot the name.  Not sure if it also widely available.

#4 Jan 27, 2021 11:02 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Israel has already given 45% of the population the first jab and 14.5% both shots.  They are on the cusp of herd immunity.

The UK is at 11%.

The US is at a paltry 7.2%

I don't know what they are doing in France at 1.2%

Combine that with the theorised 80 plus percent who are already naturally immune or unlikely to get severe symptome like you, and apart for a few doddery old fools like me the thing is on it's last legs. Just like the "normal" seasonal flue has been almost zero this season, as Covid has suplanted it.

This thing is not going away any time soon, but it is going to drop into a background murmer after this seasonal increase.

Of course as the "cases" drop as we head into spring it will be claimed to be an outright victory for immunisation, but it wont be, it'll just be the end of the flue season.

October it will be back, but by that time there will be more care strategies, and the death rate will be lower... maybe partly due to the vaccine, maybe not.... as they still really don't know how much any individuals reduction in symptoms would be.

Board footer