You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Feb 02, 2021 3:39 pm

New Historian
Active

Norway: the coldest place I've ever been - and not just the weather

I’d lived in several different countries by then, but Norway was the worst. A strange land where the locals got really depressed if it wasn’t ass-numbingly cold by the beginning of November. The Norwegian Shipping Academy wasn’t an academy at all, it was part of Norway’s overseas aid programme, providing training to third world students. Our classroom was in a basement disco, smelling of stale cigarettes and beer.

The course was in English so I didn’t need to learn anything but the most rudimentary Norwegian. The one phrase I did learn and watch out for was “jævla svarting” or “f*cking n*gger”. I also found out that a Norwegian sober and a Norwegian drunk are two very different Norwegians. After a close encounter with some yobs on the last train on Saturday night, I felt the need to walk with a small knife in my pocket. And the food? Never seen a spice yet.

Oslo-cold.jpg

Last edited by New Historian (Feb 02, 2021 3:40 pm)

#2 Feb 05, 2021 12:06 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Norway: the coldest place I've ever been - and not just the weather

Yeah , the real world is no Gree.
Had some fire early . lmao.

Last edited by Dancer (Feb 05, 2021 12:15 pm)

#3 Feb 09, 2021 12:48 pm

Vanni
Active

Sorry to hear what you've been through, Historian. All we can wish for, is that by now Norwegians and all the Earthlings are looking at each other from their heart. We cannot call our humanity civilised as long as such things happen. I am convinced that a genuine family of humans can exist and is on its way to do so. We really need to resolve this before we can step further.

This apart, though Sweden is milder in climate and provides more learning material, I am now learning Norwegian. Just to add another language to my initial four-to-five ones, also to understand better some of the English and German roots (as well as the local German, which is not understood by Germans, so is being counted as a language in itself), and then the attempt to grasp some oh so exotic Japanese - for the sake of learning a language which has strictly nothing to do with our Latin and Germanic ones.

Have a blessed day everyone smile

#4 Feb 09, 2021 3:02 pm

Vanni
Active

Any positive experience over there, though?

#5 Feb 09, 2021 4:59 pm

New Historian
Active

Vanni wrote:

Well I got a diploma in shipping management which spurred on my career. I got experience. And I saved up my student allowance and rebuilt my Triumph Trident motorbike!!!

#6 Feb 10, 2021 11:10 am

Dancer
Active

Vanni wrote:

Sorry to hear what you've been through, Historian. All we can wish for, is that by now Norwegians and all the Earthlings are looking at each other from their heart. We cannot call our humanity civilised as long as such things happen. I am convinced that a genuine family of humans can exist and is on its way to do so. We really need to resolve this before we can step further.

This apart, though Sweden is milder in climate and provides more learning material, I am now learning Norwegian. Just to add another language to my initial four-to-five ones, also to understand better some of the English and German roots (as well as the local German, which is not understood by Germans, so is being counted as a language in itself), and then the attempt to grasp some oh so exotic Japanese - for the sake of learning a language which has strictly nothing to do with our Latin and Germanic ones.

Have a blessed day everyone smile

Nice Vanni , a linguist eh ?  Covid 19 helping , stay inside and 'learn a language ' lol.
So you are Swedish  .  Google says Sweden is in the top 10 countries in the world in equality in the work place .
North America. # 43.

#7 Feb 10, 2021 11:15 am

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:
Vanni wrote:

Well I got a diploma in shipping management which spurred on my career. I got experience. And I saved up my student allowance and rebuilt my Triumph Trident motorbike!!!

But nothing  !
Starved ...
Who cares
I have my bike
Small mercies
He cried.
smh.

#8 Feb 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Vanni
Active

Dancer wrote:

Nice Vanni , a linguist eh ?  Covid 19 helping , stay inside and 'learn a language ' lol.
So you are Swedish  .  Google says Sweden is in the top 10 countries in the world in equality in the work place .
North America. # 43.

Ya know ... the virus has not really isolated me. We will be given the full truth about it, which I do not claim to know, but what I know, is that much of what we're being told, is half truths at best, downright lies at worst!

Yes, the virus is real. Yes it can be nasty. Now everything else about it ... from number of cases, death count, to the measures ... let's wait for this so much needed truth.

I'm multi-national. Swiss (not Swedish), where I was born, raised and keep living, French and Italian.

Not really a linguist, just the circumstances: tiny Switzerland has 4 national languages. I happen to have facilities with languages, not least because I have been exposed consistently since being born to French - at home - Swiss German, an oral language - on the street with my buddies - German - as the written language in the German speaking part of Switzerland, Italian for my other origins and improving it thanks to watching TV programmes and being part of an Italian Guild on a fun online game, and also learning it, then a bit of Occitan, my Mom's native language in Nice, South of France, and my interest for French Creole ... oh yes and English, for the past 16 years with my husband, which has become my now in majority spoken language. So why not add another two ones? One which has some common origins to the languages I practice - a Scandinavian one - and one which is totally outside anything I've been in touch with. From the writing system to the syntax and obviously the vocabulary - Japanese.

I wish to go on an onsen tour together with Zen Buddhist and Shinto shrines tour, Zen Buddhism because it is part of my practice, Shinto because I am feeling it. And obviously I'd be delighted to be able to communicate spontaneously with the people over there.

Yes, but first: Grenada!

So how are you doing Dancer?

#9 Feb 15, 2021 6:26 pm

Vanni
Active

New Historian wrote:

Awesome! Plus you know now where not to go on holidays big_smile

#10 Feb 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Dancer
Active

Doing not too bad Vanni.  Thanks . You seem to be aiming for a job in  the  language dept of the United Nations. lol.
See you are still  seeking  'Shangri-la.
LO, I just remembered .  I used to go to a Buddhist temple ,  one summer , checking out , yoga ,etc.   " Let's go together ' ... was the cry . lo.
...  But hey , keep on Keeping on Vanni.

Board footer