You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Feb 22, 2021 11:26 pm

Expat
Active

A very sanitized view of where your bacon rashers come from.

Funny how they leftout the terror, the stunning...sometimes failed, the kicking and twirching after stunning, the blood, the smell, and the less than humane treatment that seems to go with getting accustomed to slaughter. Hell even the butchers just snip off the odd bit here and there, Robots do the bulk of it, the rest are low paid packers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK23gfjnhvk

It happens, but thousands of animals being slaughterd with a silly tune playing in the background.

#2 Yesterday 2:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: A very sanitized view of where your bacon rashers come from.

Pigs are smart animals and somehow they know when it's their turn for the knife. I've seen it time and again, as soon as the butcher takes out that lethally sharp knife they start with one set a squealing, sounds awful!

No pork for me mate: non porcus munchus.

#3 Yesterday 2:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

They are rendered unconscious with CO2 gas.  I don't know a better way to do it.  That said, I do hate to see it.  I have become soft-hearted in my old age and hate to see animals slaughtered.  Still, the world needs to eat and if we took all meat out of our diets I don't think there would be enough food to feed humanity.

#4 Yesterday 5:28 pm

Expat
Active

I am not vegetarian, my point was the cosy view of the process these videos created.

#5 Today 7:58 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

Funny how they leftout the terror, the stunning...sometimes failed, the kicking and twirching after stunning, the blood, the smell, and the less than humane treatment that seems to go with getting accustomed to slaughter. Hell even the butchers just snip off the odd bit here and there, Robots do the bulk of it, the rest are low paid packers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK23gfjnhvk

It happens, but thousands of animals being slaughterd with a silly tune playing in the background.

Me ent see ah thing wrong with that.  They are bred to be slaughtered.

#6 Today 8:01 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

They are rendered unconscious with CO2 gas.  I don't know a better way to do it.  That said, I do hate to see it.  I have become soft-hearted in my old age and hate to see animals slaughtered.  Still, the world needs to eat and if we took all meat out of our diets I don't think there would be enough food to feed humanity.

Man you changing before our eyes. You getting soft. Expat doh tink the music is for pork, but for the workers.  A form of distraction, for this horrible job.

#7 Today 5:18 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Man you changing before our eyes. You getting soft. Expat doh tink the music is for pork, but for the workers.  A form of distraction, for this horrible job.

The silly music was your youtube background track to dumb your brain down, it had nothing to do with the work environment.

Getting soft? Have you any idea how many animals I have killed?

My very simple point was the promotional video was trivialising the process, making it clean and clinical, with no view of the animals dying. They were alive, and then.... they were meat. Nothing inbetween.

RD says they are C02's which frankly doesn't sound that nice either. To the best of my knowledge in the UK they are stunned individually with electic pinchers either side of the brain, and dispatched while they are out cold. If the zapper doesn't do it straight off a bolt gun comes in pretty quick to save them suffering. That applies to Pork, Beef and lamb. Not too sure about the cluckers.

We had a series in the UK called kill it cook it eat it, where they had a "studio" audience sat behind perspex in the slaughter house, and the literally showed the entire process to them, and us via the TV, and then they were served the animals they had just seen killed. We saw the lot from trailer to table.

https://vimeo.com/19924082

Last edited by Expat (Today 5:29 pm)

#8 Today 6:49 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

High concentration of CO2 causes unconsciousness in seconds.  This is why people in wells and caves often just pass out and die without ever knowing they are in danger.

CO2 levels of more than 30% act rapidly leading to loss of consciousness in seconds. This would explain why victims of accidental intoxications often do not act to resolve the situation (open a door, etc.)

Your body doesn't recognize C02 as a toxin since we breathe it everyday.  There is no reaction like choking or suffocating.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl … 0dry%20ice.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Today 8:16 pm)

Board footer