You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Mar 26, 2021 10:33 am

New Historian
Active

A Diva learns: Jamaican audiences don't do Divas!

Nina Simone, Goddess of all Divas, also came to Jamaica, that also didn’t go well. It was the Goddess thing: nah. In the sixties Nina ha a huge hit in Jamaica: My Baby Just Cares For Me. With its catchy ska-influenced beat, no self-respecting Jamaican deejay could neglect to play it to rapturously dancing couples. Trouble is, to Nina it was virtually unknown. It was originally the B-side to a hit song: recorded and forgotten. Not in Jamaica it wasn’t, every single person in that audience at the Carib Theatre in Crossroads was expecting, at some point but sooner than later, her to get them swinging in the aisles to their favourite tune.

Not so, she ran through her repertoire of jazz-influenced songs, clearly too high-brow for a growing – and impatient – section of the audience. Inevitably, someone voiced his opinion, followed by another, louder. She stopped the show: what? Someone explained, it’s that song. What song? Divas don’t do this: be told what to play, so she carried on regardless. So did the crowd. Louder. There was only going to be one winner in this battle, and in true Diva Goddess style she threw an enormous strop and flounced offstage – to the ringing sounds of true Jamaican belly-laughter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYSbUOoq4Vg

#2 Mar 26, 2021 4:29 pm

Slice
Active

Re: A Diva learns: Jamaican audiences don't do Divas!

I hate jazz, so ah keeping me mouth shut.  I guess the next two person ah know might be Expat and RD, they to are going to say something about jazz.  I honestly hate the damn thing.  Every woman and man ah know in my age bracket love the damn thing not me..  Makes me wanna sleep.

To me music is the lively up the moment, and if music cant to that to me done. I stayed up until maybe 2am listening to Jazz in Grenada with WHman. Ah done with that stupid music.

#3 Mar 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Expat
Active

How you have me up there so?  I can handle soft Jazz... kinda..... but generally I can't stand it.

#4 Mar 27, 2021 12:20 am

New Historian
Active

Bleedin' Philistines the lotta ya! Jazz be black classic music. White people got their Beethoven, we got we Miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50fB5L1vmn8

#5 Mar 27, 2021 10:31 am

Real Distwalker
Active

You can enjoy Beethoven if you want, NH.  smile

In fact, watch this and try not to well up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJcQYVtZMo

#6 Mar 27, 2021 8:34 pm

Expat
Active

Yeah, saw dat before.

#7 Mar 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't know whether to well up because of Ode to Joy or to well up in remembrance of a world in which strangers could gather in public that way without a care.

#8 Mar 28, 2021 12:59 pm

Expat
Active

80% of them always could have done.

And according to the CDC, apart from the beleaguered aged of which 99.5% would survive, well over 99.5% in all age groups up to 70 would have survived too.

Courtesy of Emperor Xi the rest of the World has Fkd itself. Do you think he might be sniggering in a secluded spot in China thinking how gullable the West is?

Board footer