You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Mar 30, 2021 7:11 am

Slice
Active

WONDER WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO NEVER RETURN TO THE PLACE OF BIRTH

I met and was friends with four Grenadian men, who was born in Grenada, but never returned. Every time I speak to them, and I ask, when you going back, they all keep saying soon Slice doh worry.

Three of the four maintain their culture, ah mean they love the Caribbean music, the food and everything Grenadian, but more than forty years later they have never returned to Grenada.  Every time ah return from Grenada I bring one, a bottle of Clarkes Court. It is like ah bring him gold.  He will not share that bottle of rum

Ah keep wondering are they not curious about what they left behind?  What is in life that will keep folks away for so long? Even if the culture is still in you.  God that must be real tough.

I can understand if they hate to fly. I get that, I hate airplanes, but ah have to go.  None are  scared of Air planes.

Ah swear one day ah go find out.

#2 Mar 30, 2021 9:37 am

Expat
Active

Re: WONDER WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO NEVER RETURN TO THE PLACE OF BIRTH

No big ting.

It's where you hang your hat is your home.

I used to return pre covid simply to maintain contacts, and deliberate shopping needs. But apart from a passing wistfuf thought about a green and pleasant land..... OUTSIDE the big city in which I spent most of my time.

So long as my affairs don't get messed up, I can see who I need to see on the WWW... I have no urge to return. Especially during the Winter...   smile

#3 Mar 30, 2021 9:42 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Really?  Even I am looking forward to my next trip to the UK.

#4 Mar 30, 2021 10:37 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

No big ting.

I used to return pre covid simply to maintain contacts, and deliberate shopping needs. But apart from a passing wistfuf thought about a green and pleasant land..... OUTSIDE the big city in which I spent most of my time.

So long as my affairs don't get messed up, I can see who I need to see on the WWW... I have no urge to return. Especially during the Winter...   smile

Expat you are an exception to the rule. You are extremely comfortable in Grenada. You miss nothing about your country.  These miss it and want to be there, but something is stopping them.  Not sure what it is doh.  Expat whosoever created you broke the mole, once you were created.

#5 Mar 30, 2021 10:46 am

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

No big ting.

Well if I came from England I wouldn't have a longing desire to return there. I grew up there and the same applies. So I get Expat.

#6 Mar 30, 2021 12:14 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Really?  Even I am looking forward to my next trip to the UK.

It'll be a cutsie thing for you,  Ooooh lets go to the Cheddar Gorge, or visit the Highlands of Scotland, or see what Wales is all about... you know that Snowdon thingy  with the trains that go to the top.

I am not saying there are places I might have liked to visit, but can I live without it. of course I can. Am bovvered that I won't, not in the least.  I am comfortable in my own skin, (no reference to colour) and I have always been comfortable with where ever I laid my hat. I just adapt to the location.

Wifey periodically says... Ohhhh I miss England.. Not in the Winter of course...  Me, I aint fussed. While in days gone past had there been a military action against good old Blightey I would have felt it my duty to support the country of my birth from Tyrants etc.

However I am not and have never been sucked in by the need to feel patriotic. That is just sentimental bullshit hyped up to homogonise the populace.

#7 Mar 30, 2021 12:15 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
Expat wrote:

No big ting.

Expat you are an exception to the rule. You are extremely comfortable in Grenada. You miss nothing about your country.  These miss it and want to be there, but something is stopping them.  Not sure what it is doh.  Expat whosoever created you broke the mole, once you were created.

Some might say that is a good thing    LoL...  smile

#8 Mar 30, 2021 1:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

What is patriotism, really?  I don't get all weepy over US flag, military, government or law.  I do feel some reverence for my roots and the land of my immediate forbears.  The Northern Plains of North America is where my roots are and I feel some bond with that.

I feel nothing for the Germanic, Slavic and Nordic lands of me ancestors. Those places are foreign and strange to me. If the DNA studies are to be believed, I am more German than everything else combined and yet I feel nothing for Germany or German culture.

I feel a strange affinity to the lands of the British Isles, however.  But for one distant Irish ancestor, I have no roots there.  Still, the history seems like my history as well.  I feel like....  I don't know.  I feel an affinity for Britain.

So there you go.  Maybe there is no sense to it.

#9 Mar 30, 2021 1:17 pm

New Historian
Active

What is patriotism? Patriotism, Sir, is the last refuge of the scoundrel - Samuel Johnson

I'm a patriot - to an extent. I'm not a patriot to the extent of turning a blind eye to my country's many glaring faults. You can criticize Grenada I won't bite your head off - unless you're talking kak.

#10 Mar 30, 2021 3:24 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

What is patriotism, really?  I don't get all weepy over US flag, military, government or law.  I do feel some reverence for my roots and the land of my immediate forbears.  The Northern Plains of North America is where my roots are and I feel some bond with that.

I feel nothing for the Germanic, Slavic and Nordic lands of me ancestors. Those places are foreign and strange to me. If the DNA studies are to be believed, I am more German than everything else combined and yet I feel nothing for Germany or German culture.

I feel a strange affinity to the lands of the British Isles, however.  But for one distant Irish ancestor, I have no roots there.  Still, the history seems like my history as well.  I feel like....  I don't know.  I feel an affinity for Britain.

So there you go.  Maybe there is no sense to it.

I have noticed the odd gush of patritism about Iowa on the odd occasion.... wink

Board footer