You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Apr 02, 2021 8:27 pm

Expat
Active

Is yer car running bad?

There can obviously be lots of reasons. From dirty injectors, worn rings, knackered spark plugs etc etc.

But maybe your can isn't ancient, and it still seems to be underperforming. Maybe you have too much Ethanol in your Gas. I's only supposed to be 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkygKGsU3j4

#2 Apr 02, 2021 8:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Is yer car running bad?

Well, that depends on the vehicle.  I put no ethanol in my 1969 Impala.  On the other hand, my 2017 Toyota Tundra runs just fine in E85 which is 85% ethanol.

#3 Apr 02, 2021 11:52 pm

Expat
Active

I know next to nothing about the Tundra other than it is a V8 5.7ltr thingy. And people seem to get around 18MPG, although some a lot worse.

The point about the ethonol, is for machines, not just cars, if it ain't designed for it, you could be in a world of pain, especially things like brush cutters.... even now, as at least one of the carb components will prematurely age, especially if you leave the fuel in over the winter. The diaphragm will get very crispy, and cause all kinda bad running. Even if you use fuel stabilizer which can keep the fuel good for up to maybe 2 years.

Sthil provide premix fuel minus ethanol just for that reason, but they don't sell it here.....

I don't know what the fuel mix is here, it's probably the fuel equivelent of rot gut for alcoholics. If I listen carefully I hear a light pinging from time to time under load, which makes me think the fuel is a pretty low octane fuel. The computers are supposed to be able to compensate and change the timing according to whats in the tank... but it is what it is. The exhaust is always a nice honey colour, unlike the idiots with the big bore exhausts which mess up the back pressure, and cause the vehicles to run rich.

Last edited by Expat (Apr 02, 2021 11:54 pm)

#4 Apr 05, 2021 10:19 am

Dancer
Active

The Temp is going to be over 60 F  ....  all week  .... time to be outside.
  Used Car hunting  , looking for  a good  run-around .
Great  exercise trying to pick up a good run-around.
quality , miles , condition  and of course , keep cost low.
Good exercise. lo.

Board footer