You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Apr 03, 2021 11:01 pm

Expat
Active

OK, so Flow are really pzzing me off now

So, they have fixed the internet and phone problem... Yayyyy

Aparently when they installed the new cable modem they used the wrong power supply, so for months until the phone was forced onto us via cable it was an irritation with drop outs.... We just thought it was a crap service, so didn't make a fuss.... 3rd World and all that.

Then as I say they force the cable phone on us, and straight away the service both with phone and internet was absolutely abysmal.

As with anything intermittent when a technician comes he gets good readings, and he leaves with keep a log.

It gets worse and I get pissed off, so I call for help.

When the next guys come they listen to my diagnosis and go with my change the modem idea. Having already told Flow they were changing it out they realise the problem is not the modem, but the power supply to it was wrong, so they substitute the powersupply, and leave the new modem.

Almost perfect service... pretty unbelievable... joy and anger that due to a stupid installation we have had months of poor service.

Now we get to really pissed off.

When the phone bill comes, they failed to transfer the original terms of my phone, and the allow cell phone calls.... supposed to be banned. My Granddaughter didn't know, and called her Dad, then we dialed a couple of other numbers without connecting, and we get billed for all of thewm.  Something that couldn't have happened before.

The coup de gras is that because of all the problems I had been dialling FLOW, with their 1800 number. The bastards bill me for international calls TO THEM. When they don't supply a local number.

The chances of me having a Land line after Tuesday are very slight.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

#2 Apr 05, 2021 7:07 am

Slice
Active

Re: OK, so Flow are really pzzing me off now

Keep this in mind doh, Cell phones do not very well in emergencies. Another thing to ponder before giving up land line they do not need electric to work.  If you have a generator you good.  If  Verizon do not make Land line disappear, I will be keeping mine for as long as I am alive.

#3 Apr 05, 2021 9:18 pm

Expat
Active

Dude, unless you have power you are cattle trucked with cable, No electrickery no cable. What is the first thing to go in a heavy storm? If you have a genny, then you stand a chance, but if the lines are down you are back to being cattled.

At least if you have cell it's down to whether the towers or the cell infrastructure is down.

The cell is litterally just for that emergencies. Just about every conversation unless as has happened reently because my cell number was put out on the radio, but other than that all my or our calls are via thew www. Signal, whatscrap, facetime, or viop.

#4 Apr 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

Keep this in mind doh, Cell phones do not very well in emergencies.

That was true, but it expired a long time ago.  In 1995, when you had old school copper-pair and cell service was spotty, it was true.  Today you are probably better off with a cell phone in an emergency.

#5 Apr 05, 2021 10:27 pm

houston
Active

Actually the old copper pairs are quite reliable during an outage. Usually the land line is last to go as it's powered by a 48v battery plant that can last for several hours if not days, depending on the load of the CO. By the time the batteries run dry the commercial power is back up or portable generators have been installed to keep the phones on line.

#6 Apr 05, 2021 11:24 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Actually the old copper pairs are quite reliable during an outage. Usually the land line is last to go as it's powered by a 48v battery plant that can last for several hours if not days, depending on the load of the CO. By the time the batteries run dry the commercial power is back up or portable generators have been installed to keep the phones on line.

IVAN

#7 Apr 06, 2021 7:58 am

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

Correct.  Telephone service on copper pair was powered by the central office but the battery plant only had to last long enough for the generator to kick in.  Old school tip and ring telephony didn't usually go down due to power outages and was reliable unless...

An ice storm or winds took out aerial trunks or lines between the switch and you.

Today land line telephone that is delivered via coax or fiber is dependent on the power in your house.  Your carrier may have a UPS in your house that will last an hour or two of power outage to keep the phone line up but then you are dead.

Further, even if you are still on copper pair, it won't keep your landline cordless phone charged.

No, a cell phone is better emergency phone today.

#8 Apr 06, 2021 10:06 am

New Historian
Active

Digicel ain't much better, trust me

#9 Apr 06, 2021 11:14 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

Keep this in mind doh, Cell phones do not very well in emergencies.

That was true, but it expired a long time ago.  In 1995, when you had old school copper-pair and cell service was spotty, it was true.  Today you are probably better off with a cell phone in an emergency.

I know when to argue, this one ah staying away from.

#10 Apr 06, 2021 11:18 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

Dude, unless you have power you are cattle trucked with cable, No electrickery no cable. What is the first thing to go in a heavy storm? If you have a genny, then you stand a chance, but if the lines are down you are back to being cattled.

At least if you have cell it's down to whether the towers or the cell infrastructure is down.

The cell is litterally just for that emergencies. Just about every conversation unless as has happened reently because my cell number was put out on the radio, but other than that all my or our calls are via thew www. Signal, whatscrap, facetime, or viop.

The last snow storm ah experince ah mean real bad one.  My Cell was of no use, thank God  for Lan line.  I guess Cells are much more reliable now.  Yep my bad experience during snow has been awhile ago.

Board footer