You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Apr 06, 2021 2:58 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: OK, so Flow are really pzzing me off now

Real Distwalker wrote:
houston wrote:

Actually the old copper pairs are quite reliable during an outage. Usually the land line is last to go as it's powered by a 48v battery plant that can last for several hours if not days, depending on the load of the CO. By the time the batteries run dry the commercial power is back up or portable generators have been installed to keep the phones on line.

Correct.  Telephone service on copper pair was powered by the central office but the battery plant only had to last long enough for the generator to kick in.  Old school tip and ring telephony didn't usually go down due to power outages and was reliable unless...

An ice storm or winds took out aerial trunks or lines between the switch and you.

Today land line telephone that is delivered via coax or fiber is dependent on the power in your house.  Your carrier may have a UPS in your house that will last an hour or two of power outage to keep the phone line up but then you are dead.

Further, even if you are still on copper pair, it won't keep your landline cordless phone charged.

No, a cell phone is better emergency phone today.

I haven't had a fixed line for decades - why bother? Although for businesses they are way superior in reception, especially overseas.

#12 Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
houston wrote:

Actually the old copper pairs are quite reliable during an outage. Usually the land line is last to go as it's powered by a 48v battery plant that can last for several hours if not days, depending on the load of the CO. By the time the batteries run dry the commercial power is back up or portable generators have been installed to keep the phones on line.

Correct.  Telephone service on copper pair was powered by the central office but the battery plant only had to last long enough for the generator to kick in.  Old school tip and ring telephony didn't usually go down due to power outages and was reliable unless...

An ice storm or winds took out aerial trunks or lines between the switch and you.

Today land line telephone that is delivered via coax or fiber is dependent on the power in your house.  Your carrier may have a UPS in your house that will last an hour or two of power outage to keep the phone line up but then you are dead.

Further, even if you are still on copper pair, it won't keep your landline cordless phone charged.

No, a cell phone is better emergency phone today.

I agree that wireless service has greatly improved with the amount of towers going up in recent years but I'm a bit old school. Copper lines are not going to fail in most cases. They will always have dependable back up until a portable generator is hooked up by the telephone company in the rural areas or have a permanent generator in place for the larger CO's.
Cell phones are totally dependant on the condition and location of a tower for good signal. Cell phones also require lots of battery life when in need. A solar powered cell charger won't be much good with no sun, which is usually the case during an outage.
Now if there was a natural disaster that destroyed the towers and the CO's, we would be SOL with any form of communication.
A satellite phone might be an option but they too would have to rely on charged batteries.

#13 Apr 06, 2021 3:14 pm

houston
Active

One other problem with a cell phone is the health of the server. During a disaster the server can get overloaded and crash.
No, copper pairs will be around for a while yet.

#14 Apr 06, 2021 3:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Again, copper pair, tip and ring telephony is pretty reliable as long as weather doesn't take down pole mounted aerial trunks or lines.

Coax and fiber telephony won't work if the power is out at your house.

Cell towers have backup generators and fiber or microwave telephony.

I guess the moral of the story is you need to know what kind of land line you have. If it isn't copper pair, it will go out when the power goes out.  Even if it is copper pair, your cordless phone won't work without power.

#15 Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm

houston
Active

I have no land line myself, gave it up a few years ago.
What surprises me is the rarity of public telephone booths that could be used by anyone in the case emergency.
Not everyone carries a cell phone, but then not everyone has a quarter in hand for those public phones.
Yeah, we used to share a lot of germs with those things.

#16 Apr 06, 2021 10:49 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Digicel ain't much better, trust me

I have digicel, I wasn't talking about cell phones, Slice introduced them, after apperently taking a trip down memory lane. Probably back when they had cell phone towers every 50 miles... smile

#17 Apr 07, 2021 10:42 am

1Luv
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

Keep this in mind doh, Cell phones do not very well in emergencies.

That was true, but it expired a long time ago.  In 1995, when you had old school copper-pair and cell service was spotty, it was true.  Today you are probably better off with a cell phone in an emergency.

Cell  calling service is crap during a crisis .. I remember years ago earthquake in VA rattled Washington, DC and suburbs.  Everyone instantly calling .. within minutes can't get connect .. then we realize texts were getting to those devices ... local news was telling listeners try texting instead of calling as Cell network crash ... all providers were impacted.

#18 Apr 07, 2021 11:42 am

Real Distwalker
Active

1Luv wrote:

Cell  calling service is crap during a crisis .. I remember years ago earthquake in VA rattled Washington, DC and suburbs.  Everyone instantly calling .. within minutes can't get connect .. then we realize texts were getting to those devices ... local news was telling listeners try texting instead of calling as Cell network crash ... all providers were impacted.

That's true of any telephone service.  Landlines only had 1/10 line to trunk ratio.  If people tried to use every line at once, only 10% would get through.

#19 Apr 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Slice
Active

I honestly think that was the same experience ah was referring to.

Board footer