You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Mar 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Vanni
Active

Re: Just what we need, self driving cars?

Actually, I love the idea.

Wouldn't it be for what we know of our present human mentality, where such systems could be abused.

We are not yet living in a humanity where I would trust a centralised system - because further development with a centralised computer may make it more efficient. But for the principle itself, with clean energy and applied to a humanity which has evolved beyond the need to harm and exploit: I find it a wonderful idea.

The couch potato syndrome, it seems to me, is more about our general way of living than for a moment in a means of transport. How much are we taking care of our body, as much in matter of movement as of diet?

What else do we do when we are taking the train or the plane? Would it make us feel better to have a toy steering wheel, like the kids, to assist the pilot or driver? tongue

How many terrible accidents could be avoided? Probably a good few? Imagine the possibilities for disabled people? And simply for a relaxed journey from one place to the other. Thinking also of future technologies where we may travel much, much faster.

All in all, this is possibly a sign from and for a future humanity, where the mentality is as much about harmlessness, as about a healthy relationship to our body and to Life. And with clean energy.

Last edited by Vanni (Mar 26, 2017 5:38 pm)

#12 Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm

houston
Active

New technology is rolled out fast these days, always just around the corner.
Won't be long before Expat is an expert on his brand new self driving car.

#13 Mar 26, 2017 4:44 pm

houston
Active

Just teasing Expat, he needs a poke now and again.

#14 Mar 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Vanni
Active

It seems that there is some revolutionary technology existing, way way ahead of what we are being allowed to know nowadays. Ohwell, revelations are starting to flood us, and maybe now more than ever do we need discernment. But yes, such technologies exist, which would leave us speechless. And which may allow the whole of our humanity to live in more than decent conditions. And this, we need it urgently.

#15 Mar 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It seems to me that the logical end to actual self-driving cars is that none of us own them but that we call them up like Uber.  It would greatly eliminate the need for parking in costly areas.  You call up a car and, in a minute or two, one shows up and it takes you home.   At home, you get out and it goes off somewhere to wait for someone else to call it up.

This would eliminate the need for acres of car parks in dense areas.  The car parks could be off somewhere else. 

I have also been thinking about how the cars work together.  In a world where all cars are self driving, there would be no need for stop lights or stop sign as the cars interact with each other to ensure there are no collisions in intersections or anywhere else.

It also seems that, if the cars could interact, they could keep traffic moving smoothly.  In a high-speed freeway situation, they could connect up like a conga line or a train and move fast without causing the accordion effect that causes traffic jams today.

I don't know if I will live long enough to see this but it is a cool future to imagine.

#16 Mar 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Expat
Active

As a Luddite I reserve the right to wait until it is proven technology.

Shame Uber didn't do the same...?

#17 Mar 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Vanni
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It seems to me that the logical end to actual self-driving cars is that none of us own them but that we call them up like Uber.  It would greatly eliminate the need for parking in costly areas.  You call up a car and, in a minute or two, one shows up and it takes you home.   At home, you get out and it goes off somewhere to wait for someone else to call it up.

This would eliminate the need for acres of car parks in dense areas.  The car parks could be off somewhere else. 

I have also been thinking about how the cars work together.  In a world where all cars are self driving, there would be no need for stop lights or stop sign as the cars interact with each other to ensure there are no collisions in intersections or anywhere else.

It also seems that, if the cars could interact, they could keep traffic moving smoothly.  In a high-speed freeway situation, they could connect up like a conga line or a train and move fast without causing the accordion effect that causes traffic jams today.

I don't know if I will live long enough to see this but it is a cool future to imagine.

Interesting vision, RD. Figure yourself, I think I've read it long ago in a text mentioning Atlantis - whether we consider it as fiction or reality.

#18 Mar 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

As a Luddite I reserve the right to wait until it is proven technology.

The boys down at the Luddite Home Office are going to be pissed if they find out you are using a PC and the Internet.  I am going to tell them too.  I wrote a strongly worded letter addressed to the Luddites, placed it in a bottle and threw it in the river.

I will be interested in their response.

#19 Mar 26, 2017 6:54 pm

houston
Active

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/motor- … -the-rails

As RD says, cars that could communicate would be ideal. In the mean time, back to the drawing board we go.

#20 Mar 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Vanni
Active

It would take a central computer, informed about all aspects of circulation. And obviously reliable 100%. Again, I think this is a path to explore, but only worth it with a mentality which has evolved. We have more than technological progresses alone to do as a humanity.

Board footer