You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The Verdict Is In

Opera-Snapshot-2021-04-20-161549-www-washingtonpost-com.png

#2 Apr 20, 2021 5:50 pm

houston
Active

Re: The Verdict Is In

Solitary confinement isn't going to be easy time.
Did we learn anything, have there been any changes made in how police conduct themselves or do we just wait until the next thuggery incident takes place?

#3 Apr 20, 2021 8:31 pm

gripe
Active

Chauvin's attorney tried his best -- even weaving the fanciful argument about the supposed dangerous crowd's influence on Chauvin's actions to somehow explain Floyd's murder -- but the jury could not be swayed other than by the overwhelming evidence of guilt on each of the charges.

#4 Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm

New Historian
Active

gripe wrote:

Chauvin's attorney tried his best -- even weaving the fanciful argument about the supposed dangerous crowd's influence on Chauvin's actions to somehow explain Floyd's murder -- but the jury could not be swayed other than by the overwhelming evidence of guilt on each of the charges.

Otherwise known as: given a basket to carry water. From the very first prosecution witness, Chauvin's boss, they all lined up to heave him under the bus. There, see? Problem solved, we got the bad apple, right? Wrong.

#5 Apr 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I 100 percent agree with this verdict and believe him to be guilty as Satan. 

That said, it still can't be considered a fair trial because the jury knew that if they didn't return a guilty verdict, mobs would burn America's cities to the ground.  I find that disturbing.

#6 Apr 20, 2021 11:56 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

That said, it still can't be considered a fair trial because the jury knew that if they didn't return a guilty verdict, mobs would burn America's cities to the ground.  I find that disturbing.

Oh please, that never stopped them before, dozens and countless dozens of times before. Granted, this one was more egregious than the average police murder, and with the sign o the times and all. #MeToo got their Weinstein, BLM got their Chauvin. Now, says The Establishment, can we all just: calm the fuck down! So we can all get on with the American Dream: makin' MONEY!

#7 Apr 21, 2021 8:05 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't recall a previous case in which the wrong verdict would have resulted in the burning of cities all over the nation and a few overseas.  Usually that would have resulted in burning one neighborhood in one city.  To that extent, this is different.

Yes, I do prefer a world without mobs and riots in which I am free to make money without arson.

Again, I am glad he was found guilty.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Apr 21, 2021 8:19 am)

#8 Apr 21, 2021 8:20 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I agree if a guilty verdict was not reach, America would burn. I am also will to bet that verdict was reached the same day the trial ended.  This was a simple a very easy case.  The defense had nothing to work with.  One piece of evidence the defense showed baffled.  The last piece of video the jurors took to the deliberation room was, I cant breath.

Now this morning I am reading, this COP had a history of placing knee on  necks folks he came in contact with. I guess he was practicing.

#9 Apr 21, 2021 9:32 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Juries shouldn't be place in a situation in which they know that an unpopular verdict will result in nationwide violence and destruction. Justice is corrupted by that.

Before you jump on my ass, what if it was the other way around?  What if the jury knew that a guilty verdict would result in people going on a violent, destructive, nationwide rampage?  I think we would all agree that justice would be corrupted.

#10 Apr 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Slice
Active

Point well taken, and ah wonder about that also.  I do give credit to the AG for spending the money for proper witnesses.  Honestly doh think the witnesses played a vital role in this decision.  The video tape did.  I could not believe how expensive these experts are.  One of the defense cost eleven thousand bucks.  Can you imagine what Tobin numbers was?

I now had it up to be eye balls.  Every station in my area played it yesterday and today.  Time to move on.  Ah need to see and hear some politics..

Board footer