You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#21 Apr 22, 2021 8:14 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: The Verdict Is In

I think you have lost the plot in this thread Gripe. NH and I agree Chauvin is guilty and we agree the jury returned the correct verdict.

My point was that if, hypothetically, a defendant in the same situation were innocent, the jury would feel pressured to unjustly return a guilty verdict in order to avoid violence.  I argued that is wrong.

NH responded that it may well be wrong but it likely can't be avoided in these high profile cases.  I agreed with him.

#22 Apr 22, 2021 7:02 pm

gripe
Active

RD, I understood the general conclusion that you and NH reached. That was not difficult. What I addressed was the unnecessary comment that suggested the jury may have been influenced by the political situation.

#23 Apr 22, 2021 7:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am quite certain they were influenced by the political situation.  Happily, that didn't result in the wrong verdict in this case.  My concern is that that it often does.

#24 Apr 22, 2021 9:21 pm

houston
Active

"As a concrete example of the risks of groupthink, Cain mentions juries, in which the desire for social cohesion can sometimes  short-circuit justice"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet:_ … op_Talking

#25 Apr 23, 2021 9:26 am

Slice
Active

Jury number 13 has now spoken.  She would of voted guilty.

Board footer