You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Mar 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Expat
Active

Did the chicken come before the egg?

Well in my case yes. As I bought the chickens and then the eggs started to arrive.

I am now.... rather belatedly.... trying to raise my own layers rather than buy in day olds when the importers deem it necessary.

It will take a couple of years to breed out the common breed genes adequately but fingers crossed I get some cocks from this first hatch to rebreed with full layer hens, and thus start the breeding out of common breed genes.

From my little understanding there is always a risk of throwbacks, even after several generations.

But the fun thing at the moment is watching the eggs develop. I am even trying a couple of Turkey eggs for a neighbour just for the hell of it.

I am only using a cardboard box and some low wattage bulbs, but the air temp is pretty constant, so fingers crossed.

I know you can't count your chickens until they are hatched, or even that they will survive after they have hatched.... having had a few predator attacks, but there is hope.

RD in a while I may be able to help out your fambily if they get stuck.... LoL.

#2 Mar 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Did the chicken come before the egg?

Good to know.  My wife's sister's husband is down to about seven million hens since egg prices are so low.  I will ask him if he needs any.  LOL.

#3 Mar 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

In fact, tomorrow I am driving up there to get 150 dozen eggs he is donating to our annual American Legion breakfast.

#4 Mar 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Slice
Active

So the last time ah was in Grenada, you totally refuse to sell me  your precious   eggs, ah hope with your inbreeding, ah go get ah couple dozens.  Doh worry an understand you only sell to rich folks. SOG, will sell me.

#5 Mar 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Expat
Active

Demand is high (relatively speaking) and output is either not enough or dropping because of old age (chickens) or dog predation... mine only gets a snack very rarely when they get too blase and forget how long her rope is. But recently we had a small long furry dog punching its way through the fence to suck eggs.

I took it to the pound, but the owners claimed it, so it started pounding the roads again. I gave the owners a 2 day stay of action, with the warning if it came back after that it would get a 9mm in the skull. No if's, buts, or maybe's.

A pack has developed, which gained access to the neighbours yard and killed their Turkey. Ad long as they stay that side of the fence they live... although I suspect they will end up being poisoned.

#6 Mar 30, 2017 10:04 am

Slice
Active

Poison the damn, dog they won't know what the hell happen to them.  Well ah love dogs, so maybe ah should not of said dat.  Grenada, have too much stray dogs.

In my area, they ent stray, but they are all hungry and always in my place.  Doh want to make enemies that quick, but ah have ah plan for them.  One of me neighbor and the owner of three dogs, does dive and he sold me ah bunch ah lobster for $100.00, so ah go be sweet for awhile.

Last edited by Slice (Mar 30, 2017 10:08 am)

#7 Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Expat
Active

They are stray as you say. They have owners, but stray from home.... and the more they stray the bigger the pack gets, and ultimately goats sheep chicken... you name it all end up on the menu.

Why people are so totally irresponsible I do not understand. Why have a yard dog if it doesn't stay in the yard?

I cannot abide the thought of poison, it is cruel. Either the vbet does it with an overdose, or a 9mm will be noisy.... but painless.

Board footer