You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 16, 2021 12:21 am

New Historian
Active

No Satisfaction

There were two kinds of people: Beatles fans - and Stones fans. And never the twain shall meet, at least in the early days. Despite the musical and cultural impacts they subsequently made on society, in their early days the Beatles were pretty standard pop fare: mop-topped Liverpool lads singing cheery tunes your mum sang along to: yeah-yeah-yeah. The Stones weren’t like that, they had an edge. In the early days I was a Stones fan but later on I straddled the line. But it was always close, I loved them both.

The first song that resonated with me was the Stones’ (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. For the entire summer of 1965, this catchy riff bombarded the airwaves of Britain, instantly connecting with a generation of unsatisfied youth. Those were the early days of pirate radio stations, listening on your transistor radio to the scratchy sounds of Radio Caroline, emanating from a ship anchored in the North Sea. That summer I worked for two weeks at the annual fair put on by a traveling troupe of gypsies on Kingsbury Common.

I worked on the coconut shy, picking up balls and hawking for punters when things got slack. At the end of the first week I asked for my pay, but he told me he could only pay me for both weeks together, at the end of the second week. Grumbles, okay. At the end of the second week he said he would pay me when the troupe did the final reckoning on Sunday, before they left. I went back on Sunday and yes, you got it: they’d left. To quote from the Lock-Stock movie: ‘I hate f*cking Pikeys!’ For the rest of that summer, Satisfaction had a bitter edge to it.

#2 May 16, 2021 8:40 am

Slice
Active

Re: No Satisfaction

Well me ent fit in either of those categories. The only American music category I fit in is Old Country Music. I am not sure what influence me very early in my music decision. Could it be because ah grew up with the Mighty Defender, well not really grew up with him, but kinda been around him for the beginning of my adult life, and help with one or two of his songs.

Then later was a fan of Bob Marley, Tosh, Bunny Wailer and later Jimmy Cliff.

Talking about pay, I once work for ah guy doing construction. I work for the bastard for two weeks.  He told us way to meet him, for we pay.  The bastard never showed up.  I gave him two weeks of hard labour and never got a FRIGGING dime.

As luck would have it, I am now his neighbor in Morne Delice.  As luck would have it doing the renovations on the house, he came begging for the job.

Ah wonder if he truly forgot what he did, or he playing?  Something told me to give him the job, but remind him of what he did.

I made sure ah told someone close to him, what he did me.  Ah wonder how he felt, when the guy told him?

#3 May 16, 2021 9:37 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I like the Stones okay but I love, love, love the Beatles.  All things Beatles.  Reminds me of when I was a kid. Their music is generally positive and happy.  It is a cornucopia of styles.  Yessir, I am a Beatles fan!

#4 May 16, 2021 11:26 am

Slice
Active

After country, my next group was Bee Bees. I think they were Australian.

#5 May 16, 2021 1:03 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I like the Stones okay but I love, love, love the Beatles.  All things Beatles.  Reminds me of when I was a kid. Their music is generally positive and happy.  It is a cornucopia of styles.  Yessir, I am a Beatles fan!

I'm a later Beatles fan, all that yeah-yeah-yeah stuff was crap. From Revolver onwards, still got my pristine vinyls. The White Album is simply a masterpiece.

#6 May 16, 2021 2:50 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I prefer "A Day In The Life" over "I Want To Hold Your Hand" too. smile

#7 May 16, 2021 3:03 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I prefer "A Day In The Life" over "I Want To Hold Your Hand" too. smile

I remember you posted this video several years ago. Great video, one of my favourites.

https://youtu.be/AAILqBg_cJo

#8 May 16, 2021 3:07 pm

New Historian
Active

Brilliant!

#9 May 16, 2021 3:24 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Wow, I haven't seen that video for a few years.  Golden Slumbers/That Weight/The End might be my favorite Beatles of all.  Combined with the amazing talent of the juggler, it makes for a great video.

The musical talent of the four boys from Liverpool astounds me. 

The way that juggler's brain allows him to move his hands in time and space with so much precision astounds me.

The brains of these people are very different from mine.

#10 May 16, 2021 3:31 pm

houston
Active

Yes, talk about hand, eye, ear co-ordination.

Board footer